balancing act

birdman

Likes Dirt
hi guys
i recently started racing 4x and allways have trouble balancing in the gate so i've been to nervous about falling over in the gate so i get left behind down the first staright because i ride on flats. when i do put alot of effort in i allways end up knakered by the time the gate drops and my reflex times fall through the floor cos im concen trating on balancing
any tips
thanks

Nathan_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
when i race bmx, i try and think of nothing, just clear your head. If you do feel like your falling just put a little bit of pressure on your bars and it should b right.:)

earney!

Cannon Fodder
I race bmx also and i find it helps to just look at the top of the gate, dont look around at whats round, just look at the top of the gate and listen out foir the gate call.

Mr Pockets

Likes Bikes
when doing gates i usally look at the first jump/obstacle, this often takes your concentration off the gate which inturn makes you not think about it. this can be scary if you only just started gates as you are snapping to the sound of the gate and not looking at the gate.....

birdman

Likes Dirt
I race bmx also and i find it helps to just look at the top of the gate, dont look around at whats round, just look at the top of the gate and listen out foir the gate call.
how sicks that this guys first post on my thread welcome to farkin...i mean rotorburn mate

thanks for the tips guys

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go and download the latest Yeti Cycles podcast, should be of some use to you :) Pretty much, it's Jared Graves explaining the basics and fine points of getting gate starts nailed. Even though i'm not a 4X'er, was still an interesting watch!

k_d

Likes Dirt
Its a bit like when you were younger and attemping to balance on one leg, you just looked at an inanimate object and relaxed and voila!!!

The same thing goes for gate starts, try to look at about 5m past the gate, and just concentrate on listening to the starters calls, not balancing and you should find that it is easier. Practice makes perfect though.

noddy

Likes Dirt
level cranks or perhaps slightly preffered foot up. point your toes towards the ground more. keep the brakes on and exert a bit of pressure on your forward pedal to keep the front wheel planted.

the pointing toes thing made it realy easy for me when i was learning and i still do it if i feel gumby in the gate.

also make sure your wrists are alligned with your arms or rotated slightly forwards (when in launch position) so when you launch you won't be twisting the bar.
and try to look ahead, keep your head level if you have to re position use your hips/bodyweight not by actually moving your legs/arms.

those are my suggestions for balance.

Last edited:

camtb

Likes Dirt
You liar, you dont race 4X.

Your problem is that your gates not steep enough....
If you manage to balance on your gate, I will be amazed, and worship you.

Your best bet is to go to a BMX training night, and just try out there gates, if you have trouble, one of the club managers will help you....

Well at least thats what happened 1st time I went to BMX

BMX training nights will help heaps, all the people who run training nights at cross keys will help you, most of the people are nice, but most of the riders are pretty up emself ;D haha

GO TO TRAINING.
End of story.

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
lean forward and compress the sag in your forks, try to evenly distribute the weight between both feet and your hand respectively.;)

practice makes perfect, even if you practice traffic stands in the street with your front wheel straight. I find it helps.