Bakers Cyst

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Burners,

I had an op on my knee about 10 weeks ago. Recovering well and the knee feels good BUT I've developed a Bakers Cyst (fluid build up) at the back of my knee. It doesn't hurt, it just seems to get in the way more than anything but does feel quite tight at times. Haven't gone back to see the surgeon but will soon.

Was wondering if anyone has had experience around this. Sounds like it's fairly common for cyclists, so just seeing if anyone has had this and what they did to manage it (don't say "I didn't ride!") and get over it.

Cheers,

Coaster

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
buy Lectric Soda & Epsom Salts, wrap knee at night in the morning fluid will be drawn out. my mum used it for years to treat knees.

Lectric Soda & Epsom Salts

Lectric Soda crystals (calcium carbonate and sodium chloride) are used to draw out excess fluid from tissues and joints to aid in the reduction of swelling, when caused by inflammation. This can be found in the supermarket, in the first aid area or in the washing powder area.

Method-

Place Letcric Soda crystals in a wrap of soft cotton, a handkerchief or stocking and apply to the inflamed area, approximately 1cm thick. Remove after 30 minutes, or preferably, leave overnight. Can be done every second day for persistent swelling.

Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) is an effective way to increase magnesium levels in the body for those depleted or lacking adequate magnesium in the diet. In addition to reducing swelling, soaking in these salts can reduce muscle cramping, can calm the nervous system and draw toxins from the body. This can be found in some supermarkets.

Method-

Place 1 cup of Epsom Salts into a hot bath and soak for up to 30 minutes. You can add a few drops of a qualith essential oils such as Lavender for greater relaxation

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
buy Lectric Soda & Epsom Salts, wrap knee at night in the morning fluid will be drawn out. my mum used it for years to treat knees.

Lectric Soda & Epsom Salts

Lectric Soda crystals (calcium carbonate and sodium chloride) are used to draw out excess fluid from tissues and joints to aid in the reduction of swelling, when caused by inflammation. This can be found in the supermarket, in the first aid area or in the washing powder area.

Method-

Place Letcric Soda crystals in a wrap of soft cotton, a handkerchief or stocking and apply to the inflamed area, approximately 1cm thick. Remove after 30 minutes, or preferably, leave overnight. Can be done every second day for persistent swelling.

Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) is an effective way to increase magnesium levels in the body for those depleted or lacking adequate magnesium in the diet. In addition to reducing swelling, soaking in these salts can reduce muscle cramping, can calm the nervous system and draw toxins from the body. This can be found in some supermarkets.

Method-

Place 1 cup of Epsom Salts into a hot bath and soak for up to 30 minutes. You can add a few drops of a qualith essential oils such as Lavender for greater relaxation
Thanks mate. I'm going to give that a crack.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Awesome, got an mri on my knee two weeks ago and wasn't sure what to do about a bakers cyst. Will give this a go.

crim 87

Likes Dirt
iv'e had an apparent ganglion cyst on the inside of my knee for about 2 years now. have had multiple mri , sports doctor and physio sessions and they can't work out why it's their ?? iv'e had it drained once and was good for about 6 months then came back. it also popped one day at the beach when i stood up felt gross but calmed down for another 6 months again then re appeared. it's prob the size or roughly of a 20 cent piece in a circle shape i'm bot sure whether to see a surgeon or just keep putting up with it. it doesn't cause me massive amounts of pain more so just discomfort and tightness. would be easier to make my mind up if some one could give me a definitive answer ?? the physio says to drain it again and it might go away or there's a chance it could go away of it's own accord , he also mentioned surgery could be an option to

Bakers Cysts are a result of intra-articular swelling or effusion within the knee joint. They often occur after some form of internal knee derangement eg meniscal, acl injury or post knee surgery. Usually they will resolve on their own or burst and require no further intervention. Anti-inflammatory meds may help and occasionally more stubborn ones require aspiration +/- guided cortisone injections. Generally if it is not bothering you that much, your symptoms aren't getting worse and any other significant knee joint pathology has been excluded, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bakers Cysts are a result of intra-articular swelling or effusion within the knee joint. They often occur after some form of internal knee derangement eg meniscal, acl injury or post knee surgery. Usually they will resolve on their own or burst and require no further intervention. Anti-inflammatory meds may help and occasionally more stubborn ones require aspiration +/- guided cortisone injections. Generally if it is not bothering you that much, your symptoms aren't getting worse and any other significant knee joint pathology has been excluded, I wouldn't be too concerned.
Thanks Atomic. No pain, just discomfort at times so I'll live.

Gave the crystals a go, I think it worked, didn't magically disappear (I wouldn't expect it to) but certainly made a difference. I was, even still am, a bit cynical.

Last edited:
Baker's cyst

Most people who get baker's cysts are .....(cough).....old...er, and the person has usually had a previous injury to the knee. I'm pretty sure they only occur at the back of the knee, and it's a pouching of the knee capsule (not 100% on this). Basically, if you piss them off, they get more swelling and become more uncomfortable - so don't piss them off. The key is knowing what does annoy them, and not doing it. Stretching of the quads, hammys and calves may help - but do them all gently and for at least 30 seconds. Core stability exercises will also probably help. Ice may help after a ride, but be careful icing the back of the knee as there are major blood and nerve vessels there.

They can be pretty annoying for some people but most people that have them, probably don't know they have.

They can rupture and you will think you are having a DVT in your calf, but I don't think any long damage can occur if it does rupture (go see your GP though in case you do have a DVT)

Good luck with it

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most people who get baker's cysts are .....(cough).....old...er, and the person has usually had a previous injury to the knee. I'm pretty sure they only occur at the back of the knee, and it's a pouching of the knee capsule (not 100% on this). Basically, if you piss them off, they get more swelling and become more uncomfortable - so don't piss them off. The key is knowing what does annoy them, and not doing it. Stretching of the quads, hammys and calves may help - but do them all gently and for at least 30 seconds. Core stability exercises will also probably help. Ice may help after a ride, but be careful icing the back of the knee as there are major blood and nerve vessels there.

They can be pretty annoying for some people but most people that have them, probably don't know they have.

They can rupture and you will think you are having a DVT in your calf, but I don't think any long damage can occur if it does rupture (go see your GP though in case you do have a DVT)

Good luck with it
Thanks Art. Good info. I've noticed that over time it is slowly getting less swollen. I blows up from time to time but then reduces again.

And yes, I am old.....er. Too much hockey and MTB'ing on the SS has not done my knees too much of a favor. Have iced, but will try stretching and core improvement. Failing that I'll have a beer and ignore it.

Markee

Likes Dirt
I too am older, had a knee reco and have a bakers cyst in that knee.
It swells up sometimes and can be annoying but never hurts and sometimes it goes down but it has come back up recently.
I may try the crystal trick above but will add more magnesium (as a supplement) to my diet first to see if it helps control the size.
Asked the doc a few years ago and he said there's not much to worry about or much he can do either.

Last edited: