Backyard Jump Trails

Joelxsix

Likes Bikes
[video=youtube;kG1SuFr5yYo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG1SuFr5yYo[/video]

UPDATE: Due do all the work being focused lower down the trail, the top section was in need of a refurbishment, as well as a bit of tweaking in a couple of berms, i've been putting in drainage pipes here and there up top too. The trail is 90% rideable now, with only the final section still in progress. Now that it is all linked up, Iv'e been able to ride and adjust any sections that don't feel perfectly flowy :biggrin1:

smaller1.jpg

Cut this berm steeper so I can really lean in to it now :D
smaller3.jpg

smaller2.jpg

ORIGINAL POST:

So over the past year or so i've had the opportunity to have a few weekend's work with excavators, and decided to put in a few jumps and a flowy jump trail sort of thing around my backyard. I'm lucky enough to own good land to do this on, and plan to continue building as much cool new stuff as possible. The project is still very much a work in progress, with plenty more testing and re-shaping to be done before it's prime. I have most of a downhill track that ill post up once finished too. Here's what i've got so far:

Our first digger to play with for a weekend
IMG_0279.jpg

First little switch berm jump, with the straighter line not quite finished in this shot.

IMG_1014.jpg

Small jump into right hander...

IMG_1018.jpg

Followed by a couple of rollers then a left handed hip jump (not complete in this photo but done now)

IMG_1019.jpg

A bit more work was done with the little 1.4t cat, but second time round things got a bit more serious with our tool choice :)

IMG_1839.jpg

The last jump of a separate line of jumps just built and looking mint.

IMG_1845.jpg

The separate line of three jumps, great for a quick afternoon sesh, only meters from the back door

IMG_2022.jpg
IMG_2021.jpg

Back to the longer trail, things looking much more serious with the 5 tonne digger. This is looking down along a straight of freshly pushed up tabletop, rollers and doubles.

IMG_1850.jpg

Nice lil' double

IMG_2024.jpg

Four smaller rollers, designed to be jumped in creative ways

IMG_2026.jpg

Into a long fast berm

IMG_2027.jpg

Followed by a smooth step down into double into a huge left hander berm.

IMG_2029.jpg
IMG_2033.jpg

Looking back up at the final part of that berm

IMG_2036.jpg

And from there it will go down over two more rollers and into a final jump. Downhill track is a bit further from home (like a 5 minute walk to the start of the track), and is mostly complete except for a few sections that are being improved. Its only a short track, maybe 2 minutes, as i'm limited by hill size, but it's steep and fun so I cant complain.

Last edited:

Joelxsix

Likes Bikes
That is very awesome. How many hours work do you think are in the jump track?
I couldn't put a number of hours on it, but it was the best part of 15 hours with an excavator plus countless afternoons after school with my rake and shovel :)
Im so stoked at how it's coming along though

Last edited:

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Awesome trail mate. Looks like fun. Had any rain on it to bed it down and also check out if water will washout any sections?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
yeah some water channels/ run off/ drainage would make it more sustainable- well done mate- looks cool

Joelxsix

Likes Bikes
I've only had a few short storms, but it's enough to see where water goes which helps. I have run offs for all berms and currently no areas where water pools. And yes, over the years I've lost jumps to poor drainage design so I've learnt my lesson there :)

Joelxsix

Likes Bikes
Yea it's great having this to work on, can't wait till it's all linked up and I can do a full run. Problem is every time I go out to work on it I think of a great new idea i want to build which takes more time! hahaha but half the fun is in building it perfecty anyway so I don't mind :biggrin1:

frostty74

Likes Dirt
Sweet trails man. Looks like you'll have an awesome trail once it's all finished.
I'm out near Bellingen, building some trails on a 40 acre property. I'll have to post up some pics soon.
Looking at your work makes me think I should have hired a digger rather than doing it all by shovel and McLeod tool...haha

Joelxsix

Likes Bikes
Built a new roll in and double this afternoon to replace a table top that I wasn't a huge fan of. So keen to try this when it dries.

Joelxsix

Likes Bikes
Finally got a short video done

Whole trail is more or less done :bounce:
[video=youtube;kG1SuFr5yYo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG1SuFr5yYo[/video]

Last edited: