Back to MTB's after 10 years off - looking for trails in VIC & NSW

Raikkonen

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

I recently made the decision to take up the mountain bikes again after a 10 or so year absence. I used to ride XC regularly as a teenager, up until I left school.

I just splashed out on a brand new 2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29er 3. I was looking at Giants, but was offered the Cannondale at half price by a friend who works in a bike store.

I honestly can't wait to hit some trails.

I'm living in Melbourne and I also regularly travel to central-west NSW. So i'm looking for some trails primarily in Vic, but also in NSW.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would be immensely grateful.

cogs19

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

I recently made the decision to take up the mountain bikes again after a 10 or so year absence. I used to ride XC regularly as a teenager, up until I left school.

I just splashed out on a brand new 2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29er 3. I was looking at Giants, but was offered the Cannondale at half price by a friend who works in a bike store.

I honestly can't wait to hit some trails.

I'm living in Melbourne and I also regularly travel to central-west NSW. So i'm looking for some trails primarily in Vic, but also in NSW.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would be immensely grateful.
Close to Melbourne there are probably three main options - yarra trails, Lysterfield Park and You Yangs.

The Yarra trails are fine for cross country but they can be a bit hard to find unless you know where to look. Perhaps a ride on Yarra Boulevard near Johnston Street (Abbotsford) is the easiest way to get started around there (then just find your way around).

Lysterfield is about 35 minutes from Melbourne and has about 40km of trails.

You Yangs is a bit further in the other direction (west) and has some cross country and some downhill. I've only been here once so I'm no expert.

A bit further afield and you have Wombat (near woodend), Forrest and Mt Buller.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Going by your username and avatar, you'll want to get involved in the F1 thread we have in the off topic section. ;)

Raikkonen

Likes Bikes
Close to Melbourne there are probably three main options - yarra trails, Lysterfield Park and You Yangs.

The Yarra trails are fine for cross country but they can be a bit hard to find unless you know where to look. Perhaps a ride on Yarra Boulevard near Johnston Street (Abbotsford) is the easiest way to get started around there (then just find your way around).

Lysterfield is about 35 minutes from Melbourne and has about 40km of trails.

You Yangs is a bit further in the other direction (west) and has some cross country and some downhill. I've only been here once so I'm no expert.

A bit further afield and you have Wombat (near woodend), Forrest and Mt Buller.
Fantastic. Thanks very much, this should keep me busy for a while!!!

dgoro

Squid
Southern NSW

If you're passing through Wagga on your way to the central west you could always stop to stretch the legs here. Pomingalarna reserve, on the Sturt Hwy, just to the west of the city (next to the golf course) has a 13km loop that is well sign posted has a large map at the main gate and is well worth the 45-60 mins of your time.

Raikkonen

Likes Bikes
If you're passing through Wagga on your way to the central west you could always stop to stretch the legs here. Pomingalarna reserve, on the Sturt Hwy, just to the west of the city (next to the golf course) has a 13km loop that is well sign posted has a large map at the main gate and is well worth the 45-60 mins of your time.
Ah that sounds great, i'll definitely try it out.

Thanks.

L4M3G4M3R

Likes Bikes
Whereabouts in Melbourne are you based? There are heaps of local haunts people can tell you about.

You Yangs is well worth the trip...something for everyone there...flat sections, climbs, great downhill runs...really is an awesome spot.

I really like Forrest too...the way they have embraced MTBing as a town and community...awesome stuff.

LG.