Back pedal brakes

Streetr

Likes Bikes
Hey guys,

Ive got this 18in bike layin round and its in perfect condition but its got back pedal brakes. Just wanted to know if it is possible to disable them and how.

Cheers

matty hall

Likes Dirt
There should be some sort of rectangular, triangleish shaped piece of metal on the rear axel. It is pretty simple, just pull that off and its surroundings.
I may be wrong, im just going from memory

Streetr

Likes Bikes
Would that be attatched to the chainstay cos ive got some metal thing that's connecting to the chainstay

tom_burford_orr

Likes Dirt
Yup. It is connected to the chain stay. I know you can unscrew it. Cant remember about completely taking it off without wrecking the hub though.

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
It's called the reaction (or brake) arm. While you can remove it, the brakes will still be applied when back-pedalling. Only now, without the reaction arm, the twisting forces will try to spin the axle, and also loosen the cone and stuff the bearings, dropouts and potentially you. Just remove the clutch and brake shoes to make it brakeless.

mainstreambmx

Likes Dirt
youll have to pull the hub apart and pull the pad like things in side the hub out. it works like a drum brake on older cars

tommyturtle

Likes Bikes
i had one like that and i tried to disable it but it ending up that when you pedalled backward you moved backward. then when you pedal foward, you go forward but the pedals keep moving around as you go foward, they're weeeeiiiiirrrrrrd

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i had one like that and i tried to disable it but it ending up that when you pedalled backward you moved backward. then when you pedal foward, you go forward but the pedals keep moving around as you go foward, they're weeeeiiiiirrrrrrd
so you turned it into a fixie. so what, didnt you get the memo there cool now.