AM Back in Alloy: Spitfire

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
The Spitty is finally (mostly) complete. It’s a half new, half old mix up with a lot of the bits coming off the old Blur.
I say mostly complete because brake hoses still need some trimming (rear) and lengthening (front), but it’s all there now.

The details for the new bits:
Frame: Banshee Spitfire XL
Dropouts: 142x12
Rear Shock: RS Monarch+ RC3
Forks: Manitou Mattoc Pro 2 160mm - IRT upgraded
Hubs: Hope Pro 4 (Non-Boost)
Spikes: Sapim Race
Nips: Sapim Brass
Rims: Spank Vibrocore
Headset: Hope ZS
Top cap & bolt: Hope head doctor
Tires: Michelin Wild Enduro
Bottom Bracket: Hope SS
Chain: Shimano XT
Cranks: Raceface Aeffect
Pedals: VP Harrier
Chainring: Raceface NW Cinch 30T

The old bits:
Rotors: Hope 203F / 180R
Brakes: Saint M810
Shifter: Shimano XTR
Derailleur: Shimano XT
Cassette: 11-46 Shimano XT, 11sp
Chainring: Raceface NW 32T - Retired
Dropper: Bikeyoke Revive 160mm
Seat: WTB Pure Comp
Cranks: Shimano Zee - Retired
Pedals: DMR V12 - Retired
Bars: Renthal Fatbar 800mm
Stem: Renthal Apex 50mm

I think that about sums it up. Credit to @Boom King for the idea on the rims & tires. It was going to be Good Years & Spank OOzy rims, but then I saw his Banshee and the price of the Good Years.

I also seemed to get lucky with the rear shock: Mtb direct spec a RT3 on the spitty, I even asked them direct if I could swap it with an RC3 with no luck. Then it rocks up with an RC3 anyway .

The only annoying bit is the weekend’s weather forecast: 90% chance of rain and thunderstorms.

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Nice rig Jim. Are you going to keep the 100mm forks on the front or go bigger?

Looking at it... Is that a typo? Are they actually 160mm?

Jim Junkie

Nice rig Jim. Are you going to keep the 100mm forks on the front or go bigger?

Looking at it... Is that a typo? Are they actually 160mm?
Whoops, typo. They’re 160. I think I was actually putting in the axle spacing, as they’re non-boost too.

Jim Junkie

@moorey was right. I love it.

I must have done something right in a previous life, because the stars aligned for a ride today. Perfect weather (despite forecast), both kids asleep and the wife suggesting I go out. Done.

That bike rides beautifully. Just amazing. A few tweaks along the way with bar position and some other bits and it’s smooth sailing. XL was definitely the right size choice.

& @Boom King ; those wheels & tires are amazing. Grip for days and a super smooth ride, cheers for the idea!

& Obligatory dirty bike pic:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Who cares they look amazing. i want a set so bad, probably be terrible for the flat trails I’m riding at the moment, but meh, worth.

The bike looks great with the dust @Jim Junkie, that shade of brown really complements the black.

Jim Junkie

Imagined those tyres would drag like a bitch on the flat and up...not so?
Not that I noticed, 20km ride with no undue pain on the climbs. Then again I’ve been riding with either Hans Rear & Magic Mary Front for the last while, so may be used to it.
Trail was very dry and hard though, so good rolling conditions anyway.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
How are you finding the vibrocore rims? trying to come some good feedback from those who have carbon wheels previously.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
How are you finding the vibrocore rims? trying to come some good feedback from those who have carbon wheels previously.
I went from Zelvy to Spike 350 vibracore. They track as well as carbon (the tracking was what I noticed most going from Flow to Zelvy, steering seemed much more direct) and seem to offer a softer and more quiet ride. Can't see myself going back to carbon (unless I come across another stupidly cheap pair that I don't need).

Jim Junkie

How are you liking my Spitty Jim?
Loving it. A few teething issues up front setting up the Mattoc's, but that was to be expected changing to a new fork.

Rides haven't been as frequent as I'd like due to getting sick and busy, but on the occasions I've had I found I got used to the new feel very quickly and have more confidence on the spitty over the same terrain. GPS generally agrees that I'm faster on the descents too.

Servicing the Mattoc's was easy, bar the need for a new thin walled 8mm socket (which I just bodged up from an existing 8mm with a file), so happy there.

All over, it's a blast to ride, looks awesome and didn't bankrupt me. All wins, would do again.

-Edited for awesome tapatalk formatting on a new phone.

Last edited: