Baby comes first....

early1

Likes Bikes
I have had the most mind blowing week - welcoming my first child into the world! I'm smitten with my little boy, but whoa, it is busy busy busy caring for him. I'm loving every minute, but wondering, when will I ever find time to ride again? How do people do it?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First of all Congratulations.

Riding suffers for a while, well really for the rest of your life, but depending on your other half it isn't all over yet. I ride every weekend and still get out with the lads but again that is all about having an awesome missus.
Wait until you go shopping for a child seat and helmet for your little one, it makes up for heaps, even the lack of sleep, maybe.

moorey

call me Mia
I have had the most mind blowing week - welcoming my first child into the world! I'm smitten with my little boy, but whoa, it is busy busy busy caring for him. I'm loving every minute, but wondering, when will I ever find time to ride again? How do people do it?
Definitely. But it will be with a caboose for the first 2 years, then 2 with a tagalong, then 4 slowly while hes finding his feet, then you might get a few runs under your belt.
Im riding again now after 6 years, but going for boys weekends to state and nationals will probably never happen again. And if Felix continues to ride, I'll be the support crew I imagine..... But I wouldn't change a thing.
Congrats on you boy :)

Ivan

Eats Squid
I have a 16 month old daughter, and I generally squeeze in 1 weekend ride, and I get up before work during the week and get on the trainer in the garage to make sure I'm fit enough to get the most enjoyment out of my weekend ride.

In the first 3 months, there won't be much time for anything but looking after your boy, working, sleeping and eating, but after that, if he naps during the day you might have some free time.

Say goodbye to all that free time you had! ;)

T-Rex

Template denier
In 6 years you'll be riding with him and giving him lessons.

In 8 years you'll be racing him.

In 12 years he'll be beating you.

In 14 years he'll be giving you riding lessons.

So as you can see, there's plenty of riding in your future.

John U

MTB Precision
Congratulations.

Try to commute if you can. It'll be the most regular ride you get from now on in.

It'll be all worthwile though.

It's awesome to see them start riding and loving it as much as you do.

Knut

Troll hunter
Congratulations

In 6 years you'll be riding with him and giving him lessons.

In 8 years you'll be racing him.

In 12 years he'll be beating you.

In 14 years he'll be giving you riding lessons.

So as you can see, there's plenty of riding in your future.
Excellent news! Your priority is to be the best father and husband you can be. Your riding will naturally fall in where it fits. Get fluid trainer so you or your wife can baby sit.

The trailer is a great idea. Our kids loved ours. Jodie took our daughter around the bay on her hardtail with it. When both of them were in it, they had a ball.

Get them balance bikes, 12", 16", 18.5", 20", 24" then 26" as they grow. Our kids race BMX and they love it. We have more fun watching them than racing ourselves.

The Victorian Enduro series has a heap of parents racing. We take it turns to ride or look after the kids. Now there is a posse of little tackers that come to the races and they all play really well together.

Watching your kids grow up loving the sport is way cooler than anything you will do yourself. It is so fulfilling. I ride with a father and son once a week, that is inspiring.

Enjoy being a dad. It can be difficult at times, but the rewards for your efforts are relayed ten fold.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
Definitely recommend commuting by bike if you can. It'll help keep your fitness up.

The trailer is a great idea. Our kids loved ours. Jodie took our daughter around the bay on her hardtail with it. When both of them were in it, they had a ball.
Our former club president does this - he now takes his son out for rides, and it's twice the training.

Get them balance bikes, 12", 16", 18.5", 20", 24" then 26" as they grow. Our kids race BMX and they love it. We have more fun watching them than racing ourselves.
This only reminded me of a photo Steele took which I just have to share:

:D

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
when will I ever find time to ride again? How do people do it?
First up congratulations, it will change pretty much everything but is worth it. I found 12 months was around the point when all the riding came back. You'll be in a routine andshould be getting enough sleep reliably to feel like training. It's all about being organised. You'll have so much going on that you need to plan your ride time. For most that means early morning rides so having riding mates who are OK with 6am starts will help heaps. I always look back now amazed at how much time I wasted pre-kids, shoulda been way fitter/faster than I was.

It'll come back mate, my wife and I are both easily the fittest we've ever been now. While the kids are young weekends away for races are harder, but getting out there for rides will come back pretty quick. Commuting is a good idea if you can, and road bikes are good for a quick session if your trails are a long drive away.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Congrats. The 1st weeks with a new bub are often just about surviving sleep deprevation- get all the sleep you can, when you can.....
I agree with most of the above coments. My 1st just turned 6 and when she was born i was over 100kg and decided to get my shit together and get fit.

I raced my 1st solo 24 hour the next year (lots of 4 and 5am rides....).

My daughter has done over 1000ks up front in the Wee rider(from about 11 months old), been towed in the trailer and has been on her own bike for over a year ( what a great day when your child takes off on their own!) .
My 3 yr old son now rides up front in the Wee rider and we probably do 100ks a week together. He had a balance bike but often only wants to ride 50M.....

I find night MTB rides great and have a regular weekly ride with other fathers (8pm start).

As you get into your new lifes rythem over the next months work out some "me times" for yourselves so you can get a regular ride happening. What works for us is taking altenate Tue nights as our "night off", on my night off i often ride and my wife has dinner out with friends or whatever she wants on hers....

willsy01

Eats Squid
Based on my experience, you will never ride again. My two former riding partners have not been on a bike in near two years.......both have a second kid on the way so i'm resigned to the fact they will never ride again. But it's OK for the wife to go and do pilates and yoga a few times a week....can you tell i'm bitter?

Norco Maniac

Is back!
congratulations! welcome to the most awesome ride of your life :fat:

i'll second taking up BMX, we've just done a weekend at Mt Gambier and it's great to see mum, dad, and the sprockets all riding as a family. a lot of families we know plan their annual holiday around States or Nationals and the kids grow up to form a lasting friendships out of it. plus it's a great feeling to be on the gate with your kids shouting "go, mum!" (or dad)

mine grew up and left BMX, i came back to riding - i'm the biggest kid now :fat:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Welcome to parenthood. Yes, it will take some time out of riding, but not forever. It wasn't long before I arranged a bub seat for the bike, that helped a bit and my son had a ball with it. Was harder once we had two, couldn't justify taking one son and not the other - trailer helped a bit, but it's hard work with two on tow. Now we're up to two boys riding along it's getting much better, especially as they seem to enjoy off road riding too. Soon enough we'll be out proper riding together.

My time is early mornings. Especially now the boys are old enought to let mum sleep in a bit while I'm off for a Sat morning ride and generally back by 8-9am. The other 'proper-ride' time is before work. I have always left for work early enough (before everyone else is reqd to get up) that leaving earlier doesn't upset the routine - only changes the amount of sleep I get!

Only problem is that soon riding will cost 3 times as much, maintaining 2 extra decent bikes!

Enjoy it.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, im 4 months away from this.....
I dont know whether to be excited or scared!

Riding is so important to me, and im sure junior will overtake it in importance, but the prospect of my only rides involving kiddy seats and trailers is concerning.

I guess the week day night rides will have to be come more important, and the shuttle days will be few and far between :(

I will watch this thread with interest.

fatdude

Likes Bikes
I have 2 kids now 2yo girl and 5yo boy and while time for 4wding, fishing, golf, weekends away etc is way less now, i didn't start MTB untill my son was a few years old. Now he's 5 and on his own giant 16'' and my daughter has a seat on my bike they both love it, and although its only bike path stuff with the kids its still riding time! I even got the missus to come along on her old bike. Still get out for a good 20k odd ride every couple of weeks or every week when im lucky.

Only problem now is working a 50hr a week job + 2 hrs travel each day i dont have time to do anything. and ive just had surgery on a snapped off bicep tendon so i'll be off the bike for a while.

Congrats on the baby, you will find time unless your missus is a full on dragon lady.

Last edited:

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
Congratulations!

Its all about time management.

We had our first son just a few days before xmas, and i started riding again at the end of Jan, as long as we use our time wisely we both manage to get at least 150k in each week, (we dont get to head out to tracks further out as much though) and thats with my partner working 60-70hour weeks. We very rarely manage to plan to ride as things just seem to come up now but its all manageable as long as your both on the same page!

It also helps living at the base of Mt D so at least riding areas are close for decent road and MTB so less time travelling.

If anything BmX track riding has pretty much dropped off completely, but im sure that will make a come back when our son can ride :D

anyone who says you'll never ride again is full of it, we were told we'd have no lives, not so! Our son loves being outside to and is mesmerised by wheels, race baby for sure :D

oh it does also help that we have a magic baby who sleeps from 10pm through until 10am every night! The early days of 3-4 hours sleep made it very hard!

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
learn to love bike paths ... get a baby seat / child seat do hickie and strap it on the HT. Just make sure you always strap their feet in. Had mine in the seat as soon as they were awake for more then 30mins. You get exercise ... they get shite loads of stimulation, and the missus gets a break so win /win

Congrats

indica

Serial flasher
You will NEVER ride again.

Actually I'm sure you will. I have just (last month) got to the stage where I can get some genuine exercise with my kids. They are 7 and 9 and have newly acquired 24" Konas and love a bit of single track.
Patience is the key.
Also stop breeding. That helps. Don't be a fool and wait years to have another, get it done now and get the chop - no regrets on my side.

bloodpuddle

Likes Bikes
Lots of good advice above. As others have said, helping your kids learn to ride and then riding with them is awesome.

You need to find a balance with your better half, not just to make sure you get riding time, but to keep both of you sane. Child-rearing is brilliant but it's hard at times and you'll both need some time out for yourselves.

Right now I've got a pretty good balance going. Mornings with kids are pretty intensive times of the day. An extra 30-60mins sleep in the mornings is really important to my wife.

So I'll do the morning peak hour shift (6am-7am) 5-6 days a week while she gets some extra shut-eye, and on the 7th day I'll head out early for a decently long ride.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Based on my experience, you will never ride again. My two former riding partners have not been on a bike in near two years.......both have a second kid on the way so i'm resigned to the fact they will never ride again. But it's OK for the wife to go and do pilates and yoga a few times a week....can you tell i'm bitter?
That was my experience, between my daughter being born and her 6th birthday I got two cross country rides in...