Avid Elixir CR Mag levers flipping forward to easily for some reason - AARRGH!

hosssbosss

Likes Dirt
Hi all,
I have a frustrating problem with my Elixir levers flicking forward when I'm riding. I realise that this feature is to help stop the pistons being compressed when the wheel is out, but normally it takes a deliberate and firm force to click them forward. At the moment they are constantly being flicked by my hands brushing them during normal use, meaning I have to reach and pull them back.
Does anyone know how to stop them flicking forward so easily?

D_Nine

Have seen this before, the culprit is a small plastic cup which retains the pushrod.This wears due to dirt and even rust from the pushrod.This part is only available with a lever overhaul kit.If under warranty still you may be lucky and Monza may repair it for you.If not you will need a kit or 2 ! (Another reason I have switched to Shimano ! )

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Common problem which i sort of have, some people use rubber brands from the bar to the lever to stop this. I just keep pulling it back haha.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did have this problem. I used to play with them because they made the click sound. after a few months they couldnt even save their own weight. they fell forward. making me have to reach out to grab them. At a race i went to the SRAM tent and asked them about it, and they were really nice, and gave me a discount, doing whole leaver rebuild, replaced all fluid in the system and brand new avid brake pads all for about 100. If your pretty confident, you should be able to do the lever rebuild yourself. but if your like me, take it to someone you know that is good with that stuff, if not the LBS.

hosssbosss

Likes Dirt
These levers have done stuff all work, so i"m surprised they are in need of a rebuild kit already. I haven't played with the forward clicking bit either. Might make up a little chock to hold them back...:pop2: