Avid Elixir Cr 2009 / 2010 model - any good?

Variateur

Likes Bikes
I'm looking to get a pair of Avid Elixir Cr 2009 / 2010 models (new) of ebay for my 29'er FS Tallboy build in a 185/160mm pair - are they any good?

Care to share your impressions on these brakes - good and bad?

Is there much difference in the 2009/2010/2011 models?

Thx in advance.

actionchris

Likes Dirt
I run that exact combo on my reign X. Can't fault them power wise or modulation wise and have used them all day downhilling with out any problems of brake fade.
A common problem seems to be the snap release mechanism flogging out over time and the lever becoming click out in rough terrain. This has happened to mine but a rubber band around the lever fixes this. Rebuild kits are available.
I would say go for them. With a good bleed they are very good brakes.
No idea on model differences though. Can't imagine there would be anything significant.

Exie

Likes Dirt
I've got a set of the 2010 model too.

Despite some people bitch'n "oh, they're crap" ... mine have been perfect. They have proven very reliable, trouble free.

I've got mine with 185mm rotors and they have loads of power and good modulation. If your a bit unsure, get them fitted at a good bike shop and if they're setup properly they should be great.

sly_artichoke

Likes Dirt
Running them on my new Tallboy, about one month old. The issue I've had is that the rotors seem "grabby", if that's a word, on each rotation under medium to heavy braking. I've swapped out the sintered pads for resin and this has improved things, but only marginally. Apart from this niggle, the power and modulation are fine, and it's easy to set up a good reach and feel with the levers.

Chrispy

Likes Bikes
i had no probs with mine. but watch for the reach adjust grub screw coming loose and getting lost. loctight recommended.