Avanti K.I.S.S single speed

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
Gday,

has anyone had any experience with the Avanti K.i.s.s. single speed bikes? http://www.avantibikes.com/single-speed/kiss-29.aspx?bid=120 . Im mainly interested in the 26 inch version. 29ers are an outside possibility but probably end up on the expensive side one you add a suspension fork on.....

any bike shops i call havent even seen them (worrying as some of these places are Avanti only dealers!)

any feedback is welcome :)

g

ray_c_au

Likes Bikes
29ers are an outside possibility but probably end up on the expensive side one you add a suspension fork on.....
g
29er dont have to be any more expensive than 26" forks.
What budget do you have? What do you want this ss to do? XC, AM Enduro?
There's a for sale post for a 2nd hand poploc reba for next to nothing.
(not affiliated with the seller in any way - just pointing out the availability.)

There are not as many choices with forks at this point in time, but heaps of fun.

I've had one or another 29er since 2004. SS, geared XC and now a XC suspended.

Would only go back to 26er for a FR/ DH 26er

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
hi there,

thanks for the reply.

29er is on my want list its just hard to nail down a test ride! i dont have huge funds to make a mistake with a bike that i hate either. i have heard htey handle differently to 26ers with less stability in the slower stuff. thats something id like to experience for myself.

i saw the fork and im going to contact the seller, i can probably pick up a GT Peace and put it on that for not much.

i want to spend around $1500 - $2000 total.

the bike is for XC, pretty much a trail bike.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what I understand there is very little difference between the KISS and the Peace geometry wise.
I do agree that the 29er is slower in the real twisty stuff but would suggest that they are generally faster on the flat and definitely quicker on the downhills.

Look forward to hearing from you on the fork.

dougmcdoug

Likes Dirt
Not sure where your located but I have seen the 29er at Fitzroy Cycles in Melbourne looked very nice I think the price was a little over $1100.

craigb

Likes Dirt
or if your on the short side like me and want a little of the 26 and 29er wait for the 650b wheels to become more avalible. Im itching for a test ride of these wheels and that should be interesting to see how these work in the real world

Matt H

Eats Squid
Yeah I've done a car park ride of the kiss 29. There's not a lot that can go wrong with them really. Cable discs, steel frame, awesome. Geo feels pretty good but like someone ^ said, it is pretty slow turning.

I'd recommend one, :cool:

kerbs

Likes Bikes
Gday,

has anyone had any experience with the Avanti K.i.s.s. single speed bikes? http://www.avantibikes.com/single-speed/kiss-29.aspx?bid=120 . Im mainly interested in the 26 inch version. 29ers are an outside possibility but probably end up on the expensive side one you add a suspension fork on.....

any bike shops i call havent even seen them (worrying as some of these places are Avanti only dealers!)

any feedback is welcome :)

g
Hi,

I've got both the Kiss 26er and Kiss 29er.

I bought the 29er first. Great, fun bike. Pretty unforgiving on anything bumpy, but I raced it in the Netti 100km at Mogo and had a blast. Yes, initially slower in the twisty stuff, but definately improves your bike handling skills. I feel after 3 months on the 29er I'm now as proficient in the twisty stuff as I was on a standard 26er. It has definately also helped with my 26er handling. Gearing on the 29er is great, 32 x 20t. Going up the red lap at Stromlo is perfect, albeit getting out of the saddle alot, which inturn has really strengthened my riding. Coming down the red loop can start to hurt when you get into the fast rocky sections. Seat is comfy, I don't really notice it through the back, just in the forearms with the lack of front suspension.

I've only had the 26er for about a week now. Straight away have swapped out the massive riser bars for a flat bar, and have swapped out the 16t rear cog for a larger 20t. Comes with 33 on front. This however, is in preparation for doing the Scott solo on both bikes. I'll probably be swapping between 17/18/20/22 tooth cogs depending on how I feel, but the standard 33x16 was definately a struggle on the Red lap. Standard forks (Tora's) feel pretty average and would need to be swapped out anyway sooner or later for sanity's sake.

If I had a budget of 1.5 to 2k, I'd 100% go the 29er and get front suspension forks. I'd also get a cheap set of hydraulic brakes and swap the mech brakes out. It's a pain in the A**e manually winding in the brake piston every 100k's or so.

Also, keep ahold of the rigid front forks. After 3 months on the full rigid, i've come to appreciate the 'responsive, sturdy' feel of zero suspension. Maybe not for 24hr races, but for a quick spin around your local track it feels great. My poor old S-Works Epic has been feeling pretty neglected recently! :)