Avalanche shocks.

reillyh123

Likes Dirt
Looking around at buying a new or good cond. second hand shock. have any of you guys ridden or know much about Avalanche shocks?

Also as far as i know with shock sizes, for a 200mm (8" ) eye to eye, u can only get a stroke with either 2 or 2.25" travel. somewhere i think i've seen a 2.5" stroke for sale, would this be possible or someone just getting his facts messed up?

reillyh123

Likes Dirt
yeah was looking through their products, it wasnt there where i saw the 2.5 stroke. none of the makes seem to produce a 2.5 in a 8" length shock, so i think i was seeing things.

i can read details and specifications all day, but they wont ever tell me if theyre reliable, any faults or other problems i should be aware of...so was wondering if ppl had ridden them before.

they look all cool and macho with their extended piggy back setups!! as i have an older bighit comp with an upgraded 8" travel kit, they seem pretty common in the states to run them with these shocks.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Avalanche were great for their time, custom tuning and all... but just how a Bighit with SuperT was great for its time, things have changed.
A DHX would be the way to go, quality travel but much lighter. There is BOS if you want custom and aren't afraid of the price.
But really, get a cheap DHX, factor in some expense for servicing and that'll be your best bet.