Australia's HOPE distributor, horrible customer service? Would you deal with them?

moorey

call me Mia
Bike parts distributors are in a death spiral.
Not all. Some of the best distro guys are regulars on here, provide outstanding service and seem to be doing pretty well. It isn't rocket surgery, surely. Good product + support+ Great service = success.
Some distros think great product alone will cut it. Those days are over.

floody

Wheel size expert
I get sick of typing 'except for a few good guys' in every post, so I just generalise because more of the industry is broken than thriving.

moorey

call me Mia
I get sick of typing 'except for a few good guys' in every post, so I just generalise because more of the industry is broken than thriving.
Fair call. I only regularly deal with a couple of locals, and they have treated me well, so I try to support them 100% and acknowledge them when I can. The couple that have shat in my beanie are dead to me. I'll pay a bit more if the service is there, but if it's dearer AND painful, forget it. :hand:
I had never dealt with moonman before today, but he went out if his way to help me with something for the new build today that wasn't his responsible for and gains nothing from. One more name for my Christmas E-card list.

scblack

Leucocholic
I had never dealt with moonman before today, but he went out if his way to help me with something for the new build today that wasn't his responsible for and gains nothing from. One more name for my Christmas E-card list.
Can't agree more. Great service and support from him.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am in the process of purchasing a set of Hope Pro 2 wheels from a mate as I wanted to go 142x12 through axle on my new frame, plus wanted awesome hubs. Did some researching and found that 1)The 142x12 axle on the non EVO hub was weak and prone to breaking 2) a metal axle was able to be purchased for added strength 3) it also may have been possible to convert the non EVO to an EVO with internal parts swapping.

After reading this thread I decided to bypass Bikesportz and went straight to Hope UK, asking about the 142x12 steel axle and also the possibility to convert the hub to EVO spec. After several days I had not received a reply so tried Hope US today. My mate who is selling me the wheels also tried emailing both and he got a reply from Hope US stating a steel 142x12 axle is available on special order only from LBS or online stores but they made no mention of being able to upgrade to EVO spec.
I didn't like my chances with a special order so I found this thread with a post from Gripo recommending justridingalong.com

I looked over their site and found exactly the item I was after, a kit that converts a Pro 2 to EVO spec. Bewdy! Only downside was that they had the alloy freehubs listed and I was interested in a steel upgrade for extra strength.

I shot JRA an email and low and behold, Jon from JRA got back to me within 10 minutes informing me that not only was my request possible but he had updated the website with the option for the steel freehub! They couldn't get my money any faster.

I have never received such awesome service from an online retailer. If anyone is after parts for their hubs, especially Hope, I urge you to check these guys out.

takai

Eats Squid
In comparison i was after some Hope skewers, and i noticed that my not so local bike store had some Hope gear in stock, so i asked them. Guy ducked out the back to look on the 'puter, and came back after about 10mins saying that he had just got off the phone with the distributor and apparently "Hope don't make skewers". :tsk: :hand: :frusty:

*sigh*

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
In comparison i was after some Hope skewers, and i noticed that my not so local bike store had some Hope gear in stock, so i asked them. Guy ducked out the back to look on the 'puter, and came back after about 10mins saying that he had just got off the phone with the distributor and apparently "Hope don't make skewers". :tsk: :hand: :frusty:

*sigh*
They do make them they are on wiggle.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt

*sigh*

I want a set of hope pro evo 2 hubs with hope tec enduro rims but they are not an option yet.