Advocacy Alert ATTENTION BRISBANE RIDERS: mountainbiking access survey

Cooch

Likes Dirt
Friend at work dropped this off to me this morning. As always it seems they know how to get themselves heard.
That Hoskings sheila is a right pain in the arse! I've never met such an angry woman! After five husbands she's got nothing to do except incorrectly attack mountainbiking.

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://westside-news.whereilive.com.au/news/comments/bushland-bike-battle

Fixed the link for ya.

Anyways, being a DH rider myself it is obvious that legal maintained trails are needed. Having ridden at Gap Creek myself a couple of times, these trails are in immaculate condition :eek:, Compared to an illegal track up here at CM which atm after the rain is rutted like all hell.
With more LEGAL tracks, there would be organised attempts to maintain these trails in a decent condition and a sustainable manner instead of the Illegal tracks we are forced to ride at the moment.

By the way, at MT cootha, are they planning DH tracks or just keeping it XC?

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
True, but look at the responses to the article
<http://westside-news.whereilive.com.au/news/comments/bushland-bike-battle/>.

If the mountain bike community can continue to be realistic and behave like adults on this one while the opposition continues to behave like Mr Vanderman and his ilk, I think we'll prevail.
I did enjoy his rant on the illegal nature of mountain biking under federal law :p Another American trying to persuade the world that their law's apply on an international level.

Does anyone know what the go is with the trail counter units (if thats what they are?) installed in the stumps/logs in bunya and the gap?

Oppy

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know what the go is with the trail counter units (if thats what they are?) installed in the stumps/logs in bunya and the gap?
The EPA (QPWS) manage Bunyaville State Forest and they conduct visitor monitoring from time to time. This is an EPA (QPWS) program, Mt Coot-tha / Gap Creek is managed by BCC not EPA this program does not operate there.

Last edited:

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The EPA (QPWS) manage Bunyaville State Forest and they are conducting visitor monitoring from time to time. This is an EPA (QPWS) program, Mt Coot-tha / Gap Creek is managed by BCC not EPA this program does not operate there.
Ahk, cheers for that mate.

d_j1

Likes Dirt
If the mountain bike community can continue to be realistic and behave like adults on this one while the opposition continues to behave like Mr Vanderman and his ilk, I think we'll prevail.
Bingo. It appears as though the 'environmentalists', (I used commas as it appears that half of these people couldn't care less about the actual environment, rather just ruining it for other people, mountain bikers, who they seem to have some crazy grudge against. Almost like a kid who wants a toy just because someone else has it.), are the ones that are arguing like little children about exclusive rights to the bushland, as if they own it, where as mountain bikers are more than happy to share with everyone. Keep this attitude up guys and it will make a world of difference. The more the merrier in the bush I say!

Though in saying that, there is no doubt that there needs to be exclusive trails for mountain bikers AND bush walkers and other users, for say DH riding, and then possibly only walking and other lower-impact activities through highly sensitive areas of bushland.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
Done, wife and family will complete a survey over weekend.

I actually thought it was a well thought out survey and made a number of comments. Let's hope the results reach the right people! :eek: :cool:

Oracle

Likes Dirt
...there is no doubt that there needs to be exclusive trails for mountain bikers AND bush walkers and other users, for say DH riding, and then possibly only walking and other lower-impact activities through highly sensitive areas of bushland.
I agree. I don't really want to see mountain bikes tearing down narrow walking trails when I'm out with the olds; equally, when I'm on bike specific trails I don't want to encounter the aloof hiker either! :cool:

Last edited:

Viv92

Eats Squid
So the survey has finished. I wonder how long we have to wait to find out what happened? Probably ages...

Oracle

Likes Dirt
So the survey has finished. I wonder how long we have to wait to find out what happened? Probably ages...
Well, they'll probably need an independent department to collate the data, a special sub-committee to asses the results, another to present and liaise with the relevant stakeholders, landholders and councillors... and by it’ll be time to start thinking and campaigning for re-election! :rolleyes:

Ezreal2001

Likes Bikes
Well, they'll probably need an independent department to collate the data, a special sub-committee to asses the results, another to present and liaise with the relevant stakeholders, landholders and councillors... and by it’ll be time to start thinking and campaigning for re-election! :rolleyes:
Wow, all of that in under a year. Surely you jest.

Y'know. Once upon a time elected officials were expected to make decisions.

scratchy

Farkin Activist
From memory a month. I'm taking this thread off being a sticky as well.

Update: Just checked: Consultation will close on Friday the 24th Aprill 2009. The results of this survey will be released in May 2009.

Last edited:

Viv92

Eats Squid
Survey results!!!

2844 respondents

79% of respondents MTB.

83% MTB at Mt Coot-tha
27% at Toohey area
24% at Mt Gravatt Outlook
21% Brisbane Koala Bushland

Do you think these activities cause significant damage to Council's bushland?
Walking activity - 86% disagree (5% agree)
Riding bikes on designated tracks - 76% disagree (13% agree)

84% strongly support Council securing land outside of bushland for 'extreme' MTBing.

89% support expansion of MTB trail care program.

Looks pretty good, well done guys!:)