QLD Atherton (QLD) to host 2013 National Mountain Bike Marathon Championships

sebbyreddan

Likes Dirt
My bad....yep 3 laps 102km 3300m of climbing.

Wish I was fit enough for this distance as it would be a blast, maybe next year.

indica

Serial flasher
Full race will be hard.
The short course will be fun, 19km should cover all the good bits. I am of moderate level fitness and can ride it, not fast on the climbs mind you...

g1g

Cannon Fodder
Stupid question maybe, but can't seem to find a definition of the categories... what is the difference between sport and open?

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I just rode 60% of one lap, missing the fire road slog at the top of the course.
This race is going to be brutal, thankfully I have the excuse that I have to work Sunday to get me out of it.
My advice to any entrant is to fit your dropper seat post, what goes up must come down as they say and the decent from 3 ways takes in a considerable part of the local unofficial downhill track that will test XC skills [and hard tails].
I checked my GPS tonight and a rough guesstimate would be a 400 meter vertical decent in 4 km : ) of course you have to climbed to the top first.

Have fun : )

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I just rode 60% of one lap, missing the fire road slog at the top of the course.
This race is going to be brutal, thankfully I have the excuse that I have to work Sunday to get me out of it.
My advice to any entrant is to fit your dropper seat post, what goes up must come down as they say and the decent from 3 ways takes in a considerable part of the local unofficial downhill track that will test XC skills [and hard tails].

I have a feeling the elite riders won't be using dropper posts :)

indica

Serial flasher
The weather is amazing, all the best to anyone that has made the trip. The single track is prime and ready to go, a few wet spots around... beware the white clay - it is like glass when wet.
Look forward to leeches, snakes, rocks, mud, wallabies, and nasty climbs.

indica

Serial flasher
Funny you say that. Wife and a mate and I were chatting on Friday - at the rail head - along came a female racer... mate says "hope you have your climbing legs on" she says "if we couldn't do it we wouldn't be here"