Argon 18 Plutonium to Krypton

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
There's a killer deal at my LBS at the moment that is hard to pass up, a 2011 Argon 18 Krypton for $2000 AU (full Ultegra, Shimano RS30 wheelset), down from $3000. They are also going to chuck in a Garmin GPS, full "3D" bike fit and a set of bib shorts and a jersey.

My current ride is a 2009 Plutonium, which I am going to palm off to a family member for about $500. It's a good deal for him IMO, and will last him many years to come. Also perfectly suitable for him as he only really commutes and very occaisionally pedals cycleways at very boring speeds.

How will the Krypton ride in comparison to the Plutonium? I understand that the Plutonium I have been riding is essentially almost a commuter bike with the slacker head angle (as it is marketed by Argon), I assume that the Krypton has racier geometry? Unfortunately I can't find the geo for my current bike as Argon doesn't retain info on their older models (unlike Giant, for instance, who have an "archive" section which is very handy). Of course, the new 2011 Krypton geometry can be found here, but without the old data on my current bike, it is difficult to compare figures.

I am currently running a Xero Shawla wheelset which I have read are quite heavy (I can't comment as I have nothing to compare to), and also a tyre width of 28mm (I think?) which I also believe is a lot wider than normal, probably to accomodate for footpath nannies. I know it's at least 25mm, and looks substantially fatter than the rubber on the RS30's I looked at today. How will the RS30 wheelset compare? Noticable reduction in rolling resistance?

Worthy upgrade? Jump on it while I can? Any other comments about either bike and the upgrade will be well received :)

My only niggle is the weight of the frame and fork, which seems to be quite a bit heavier than other carbon frames. Oh, that and I can't make up my mind about the colour - red or white? :)

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a 2010 Plutonium which went back to the "race" geometry from the touring geo of the 09. From what I remember the geo of the cobalt is the same or pretty close as the 09 Plutonium.
I got the email with that deal over the weekend and was wishing I had a spare $2g.
If it was me I'd go for it.
And get the white.

markyh990

Likes Dirt
Banging deal, the frame weights no issue unless you fighting for an A grade race win, get the white, RS30's with 23's will make a heap of difference

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
white looks great, the Argons are great bikes (but you know that already).

Are you expecting many Rotorburners to come on here and say 'no, that isn't a good deal, you would be better off saving your money and investing it?':confused:

Seriously though, $2k for all of that is awesome.

Newton

Likes Dirt
1225g frame (medium) with 390g fork (cut to fit medium)

Yeah.. I put a deposit on the last white one today :) Pick up over the week. Thanks TBSM and Taibo
I bought a white medium, 12th July, very happy with the bike ... awesome deal - I couldn't find a better deal anywhere ...

faz

Likes Dirt
Good choice on the white, it looks the goods. I do like red normally but the red one just looks cheap.