Ardent and Ardent race.

I have 2 tyres here
Ardent 27.5 x2.25 dual compound
Ardent Race 27.5x 2.35 3c
Not taking wear into consideration what position would you put these pair on the bike ?
And Why ?

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ardent on the front. So you actually have some grip and don't end up on your face.

Ardent race on the rear where the trade-off of lowered rolling resistance at the expense of grip won't matter so much. (Better to slide your back wheel before the front).

Admittedly the widths are not ideal. If you could magically reverse them you'd be laughing, but then you wouldn't be here asking this question. ...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Depends on terrain. New Race is ok on hard pack but useless when 10% worn. Wash out very easily and without warning. I have the worn Races on a second wheelset. I ride bike paths and firetrails with these. Might be ok on the rear...

golden path

Banned
I'd never put a smaller tyre on the front, or a less agressive tyre on the front.

That said, if your terrain isn't challenging with regard to traction, you could get away with almost anything really, and the Ardent isn't super agressive.

I don't know if like some other Maxxis tyres, the Ardent Race gets larger knobs as the size increases, and the Ardent 2.25 doesn't have huge edging knobs anyway.

So my preference would be for the larger tyre up front, and hope that the extra volume and possibly lower pressure combined with all those edges will give enough traction.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd never put a smaller tyre on the front, or a less agressive tyre on the front.
That's the whole dilemma isn't it? Volume vs more aggressive tread pattern. OP has the precisely wrong combo of larger volume tyre having less grip. Screwed in both directions. Still reckon a 2.25 ardent will grip better than 2.35 ardent race.

You know what, chuck the frickin race and buy a decent tyre.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
Ho shit... just spotted that... going to swap the 2.25 for a 2.4... dam bike shop

Wtf will I put them now ?

What? You mean you went out and bought this combination intentionally? Assumed this was just a pair you'd been left with.

Just ask them for something with some grip for the front

Mattl

Likes Dirt
The 2.35 Ardent Race is actually more grippy than even the big 2.4 Ardent with much more consistent cornering blocks and a similar sized bag to the 2.4 Ardent. It's a very different tyre to the skinnier version and is one of my favourite rear tyres with a more aggressive tyre on the front. Having said that it would probably also be a great front tyre for any conditions that aren't too damp or loose.

Last edited: