Antique bikes - any value?

T-Rex

Template denier
So a mate of a mate turned up to a ride the other day on an immaculate, top spec 2007 Kona Dawg. It's been sitting in storage for the last 12 years, and has only been ridden a handful of times,, he hadn't ridden it since about 2008 and is now re-entering the sport. It had some VERY flash parts (by the standard of the day), such as a carbon XTR derailleur and high end Mavic wheels.

It's wheel size and geo are definitely holding back his riding compared to a modern bike, so I'm encouraging him to sell it to someone who would hang it on the wall in their man-cave and admire it while drinking craft beer with his mates.

Is this sort of bike worth anything special in terms of $$?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Aside from COVID craziness, the used price on something like that lies with if someone was a late teen in 2007 is now a 40 year old (aka the BMX madness a few years ago).

So yes, something like this will tickle someone's fancy, but the old MTB phase hasn't hit yet...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Aside from COVID craziness, the used price on something like that lies with if someone was a late teen in 2007 is now a 40 year old (aka the BMX madness a few years ago).

So yes, something like this will tickle someone's fancy, but the old MTB phase hasn't hit yet...

Are they some sort of time traveller? I turned 30 in 2008 and 40 in 2018...but am still a teenager.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
There's a pre-2000 retro MTB group and post-2000 retro MTB group on facebook. Valuations are against the rules, but if you keep an eye on similar vintage bikes, you might work out what it's worth.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I have a '91 Team Issue Prairie Breaker (46cm C-C) that I alternate between wanting to make it rideable again or chuck it out
If it's your size I say fix it and ride it. I have an 89 DB Ascent EX which will be a difficult build, many of the bits are pretty shot.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it's your size I say fix it and ride it.
Yeah it's my size, bought it NIB with no wheels from the bike shop I worked. I have no morals re keeping it original etc. Have some 9spd XT bits, just need some wheels, the original hubs have munted bearings. The original fork flexes heaps at the brake mounts which was a big let down on what should have been a pretty decent bike. The '89 version I had was awesome.