Another wheels question...

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I'm looking to upgrade the stock Syncros wheels on my Genius and have been looking hard at Hope Hoops with Stans Arch Ex. I'm about 90kgs, and riding style would probably be described as XC/light AM. I've also looked at the LB carbon wheels, which when spec'ed with Novatec hubs, come in at a similar price range. Don't really want to go over $600.
The third variable to throw in here is Hope Pro 2 EVO SP hubs- are straight pull spokes genuinely a better option? DT Swiss reckon the difference is negligible when comparing quality spokes and hubs.
So ultimately, the choice is nice quality (but a tad heavier) Hope hubs and a good all round Arch EX, or Novatec hubs (have heard both good and bad reviews) with LB carbon rims. My gut feel is to go quality hubs and alloy rims, rather than cheap but carbon. Couple of hundred grams weight penalty,but one would imagine reliability and longevity? I'd also rate stiffness/strength over weight.
I've actually been happy with the stock wheels, other than the hub failure, but recently have noticed the flex, especially in the rear, coupled with the fact that they are 21mm internal width and the standard Ardent running tubeless squirms around quite a bit on it.
Opinions, especially from those who have experience of my options appreciated!

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Love my arch hoops, but I don't think they are wider than your current 21mm internal rims.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Hmm, you're right, the Arch is 24 external, I thought it was 24 internal. I think a bit of extra width would balloon the tyres a bit more, plus add rigidity. The Syncros stockies I can flex quite easily by hand, do the Arch flex easily? Do you reckon Hopes are worth the extra? The LB 35mm wide carbons on Novatecs come to a bit over $600. Not sure about cheap carbon/cheap hubs.

moorey

call me Mia
I don't feel any more flex than my flows, tbh, but I'm closer to 75kg kitted up, and THINK I'm hardcore....but not fooling anyone :pout:
That said, all 21mm internal rims aren't created equal.

moorey

call me Mia
RE hope hubs, I can't praise them high enough. I run 5 sets and can't see myself using anything else. Flow aren't THAT much heavier. If you aren't racing for sheep stations, plenty of us use them for xc/trail. I'd happily lend you a spare set if you were nearby.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Novatac hubs should be solid if you would prefer to spend more on carbon rims rather than hope hubs.

Avoid straight pull spokes. Tough to get built and the inherently weaker part of the spoke head cops the direct force, rather than being 'protected' by the bend.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
RE hope hubs, I can't praise them high enough. I run 5 sets and can't see myself using anything else. Flow aren't THAT much heavier.If you aren't racing for sheep stations, plenty of us use them for xc/trail. I'd happily lend you a spare set if you were nearby.
100g an end though. You're probably right, but they are really an AM rim, and as much as the bike is capable, the rider probably isn't. I think the ArchEX is where it's at for me. Or LB. I'll keep thinking.

On the straight pull spokes, DT Swiss claim straight pull spokes are slightly stronger than J bend, but marginal and not enough to base a decision on. But not weaker.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Novatac hubs should be solid if you would prefer to spend more on carbon rims rather than hope hubs.

Avoid straight pull spokes. Tough to get built and the inherently weaker part of the spoke head cops the direct force, rather than being 'protected' by the bend.
Are Novatec as rebuildable/serviceable as Hopes though? And sealed bearing?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Are Novatec as rebuildable/serviceable as Hopes though? And sealed bearing?
Sealed bearing, not sure what brand. One generic Taiwanese set that I had came with full enduro bearings and seemed a really nice hub. Definitely parts availability will be the downside compared to hopes,

slowmick

38-39"
Kwikee - i have wheels with straight pull spokes. still manage to break them (but i weight a lot more than you). I would stick with j bend if you can - they are available everywhere in case you break one. if you choose to go with straight pull make sure you buy a hand full of spares and keep them in your kit. Nothing worse than having an awesome bike in the shed going nowhere while you wait for $6 worth of spokes to arrive.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was in similar situation. Decided to go for reliable and sacrifice some width in rim profile. Arch wheelset on hope hubs is 1670 according to their calculator. I was using crests on a big bike and they were fine as long as pressures were good.

Hoptimum

Cannon Fodder
I went for a set of twe rims with dt Swiss rear hub and twe front hub. They are about 26mm external. Just raced the Cape to Cape with them and had no issues and they seal up great tubless