Another Banshee

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So finally my Prime frame arrived yesterday.. A late day in the office, longer commute and all sorts of other things between conspired to delay the build but I'm very happy with how it's turned out.

Selecting this frame / build was a long story starting with the demise of my beloved Trek Fuel EX9.9. There's a thread about it here somewhere but I had an unplanned meeting with a tree and that was the end of that.

I decided I wanted something more robust and wasn't fussed over boost / carbon frames etc. And I did say I didn't want an enduro sled with too much travel.. Anyway, after boring folks here and staring at specs for too long I selected the Banshee Prime.

Spec and details are here.
Frame: Banshee Prime XL, raw and red finish
Fork: Rockshox Lyrik RCT3 160mm
Shock: Fox Factory X2
Wheels: Light Bicycle rims on Bontrager Rythmn Pro Rapid Drive Hubs
Tyres: Front Maxxis Forekaster 2.35, Exo TR, Rear Maxxis Ardent 2.40, Exo TR. (Forekaster will go on when I get a moment.. )
Stem: Hope AM 35mm, 35mm diameter
Handlebars: Raceface NextR 35mm x 800mm 35mm rise
Headset: Hope
Seat collar: Hope
Seat Post: Rockshox Reverb 125mm drop
Saddle: Bontrager Montrose Pro carbon.
Brakes: Shimano XT M8000
Shifter: Shimano XT M8000 11 speed
Cranks: Shimano XT M8000 175mm
Front chainring: Shimano XT 34t
Cassette: Sunrace 11sp 11 to 46t
Bottom bracket: Shimano XT
Pedals: Shimano XT
Chainguide: One Up ISCG05
Grips: Oury Rogue Lock on
Bar ends: Hope

I probably need to change the rims / wheels as they're very XC. They were built super strong but given what this bike will probably have me doing it's a matter of time before I push them too far.

Hoping to get decent run on it tomorrow and set the forks / shock up. The finish is superb and whilst the black stealth looks wicked, I'm very happy I waited as I've owned several black bikes.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

moorey

call me Mia
I love it! For a 29, of course.
Great build. Pretty much what I use, love and thrash....as soon as the wheels are something nice on hope hubs.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love it! For a 29, of course.
Great build. Pretty much what I use, love and thrash....as soon as the wheels are something nice on hope hubs.
Thanks mate. It's funny how riding and tastes change. Once I got a taste for light carbon bikes I just got hooked on them and now realise it was foolhardy. I'm 100kgs all up ready to ride and no longer chase Strava times so between my Remedy and this I'm hoping for lots of fun times!

Regarding wheels, I may even consider 27.5+ but feel it's best at 29.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Nice job Rev, looks like a good utilitarian build - a bike to be ridden, not looked at (and I mean that as a complement - it looks great too).

What did you do with the OEM shock?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks! Yep, I could have gone uber bling but I'm very happy with the spec.

The Monarch Plus is sitting in a box unused. Should probably go to a good home.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Bikes built to be ridden look best imo. Looks like it’s gonna be a blast, even though it’s a 29er :p

Love the rear triangle on these, soooooo chunky. Good bike mate

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I need some bigger full size build pictures.
Do you think feel like this and your Remedy won't cross over too much?
@mas2 being open with you it might do, I won't find out until I ride it.

The Remedy does a decent job of plowing through the trail but jumps really well. If the Prime is too sled like with 160mm forks I can drop them to 150 or put my Fox 34's to make it more trail like.

I think the wheel size, geo along with suspension set up should make them different enough. We'll see...

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can never look away from a raw frame, looks tops

It's too bad Moorey can't see that 29" is the one true wheel size to rule them all .

You won't have to worry too much about hitting things with this bike, have fun with it!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can never look away from a raw frame, looks tops

It's too bad Moorey can't see that 29" is the one true wheel size to rule them all .

You won't have to worry too much about hitting things with this bike, have fun with it!
Thanks @slider_phil the wait for a raw / red frame was murdering me, but now I have it, well worth it.

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
Hey Reverend. I think I saw you and this bike at Lysterfield this morning?
Crossed paths on upper Buckle and by the time I’d looked around and had a good look at the bike and realised it was this wicked looking beastie you had gone.

Looked awesome in the flesh!

I was on a raw( the most awesome of bike finishes!) GG Megatrail.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@Jpez it certainly was. I saw that GG from a distance on the way down. It looks awesome too and that's what I said on the way past so I hope you heard me. You can't get enough raw aluminium in my book.

Will stop and say hi properly next time!

Jpez

Down on the left!
@Jpez it certainly was. I saw that GG from a distance on the way down. It looks awesome too and that's what I said on the way past so I hope you heard me. You can't get enough raw aluminium in my book.

Will stop and say hi properly next time!
Haha. Yeah over my huffing and puffing chugging up the hill I heard some greeting called out!
Saw a raw Canfield riot today as well! Will definitely stop and have a look see next time.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all, thought I'd give a quick ride report.

After an initial short shakedown run I upped the shock pressure from 190 PSI to 215, it was way too low. I backed off the LSC 4 clicks and gave it another go.
It's running the compact chips, in the steep position.

The first thing is this bike actually pedals very well. I'm still getting some pedal bob which might well be due to LSC setting or my technique but the climb switch handles almost all of it nicely.

General trail manners.
The handling is first class. It carves and hooks up beautifully as well as maintaining speed across the trail. Its comfortable relaxed and just feels very planted yet adustable if that mskes sense. I can put it where i want it without fighting it. Whilst I did have concerns about how it might ride with such a long fork on it I needn't have.

Climbing.
As i said, it climbs well. I did think after the first ride that it was going to be tough going but that was my error in set up. Even with the 160mm fork it tracks well and doesn't flop or wheelie.
It's never going to be the same as my Fuel EX 9.9 (RIP) but then it's certainly good enough and I'm not really pushing uphill at all. It just climbs with composure and grace. Its also great in the few rock gardens I have ridden it in.

Descending.
Damn... I'm trying to pace myself and not go too hard too soon but it's futile. This bike rips when pointing downhill. Easily the measure of my Remedy which I love. The rear is super comfortable and composed, and I am astounded by how unshakably the rear tracks the ground. When it jumps, the landing is plush, supported and doesn't bounce. X2 beats Rockshox Monarch RE:Active.

The only thing letting the bike down, and this is my fault, is the ID of the wheels. It needs wider rims on it so that is the next point of order.

I could probably get away using the wheels on it with the 140mm Fox 34, but with the Lyrik it's asking for issues. I've found the odd touch of vagueness in the front which is the tyre flexing on the rim.

Overall, the bike is a landing a solid 8/10 and once I've sorted the wheels and maybe a little minor tweak on suspension set up I'd expect that to be higher.
Needless to say so far I'm VERY happy with my choice. And interestingly whilst out on the trails I saw one of the other bikes which was in contention before making the decision to go Banshee, and whilst it looked very nice it didn't appeal to me as much as this.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: