Another Avid problem (sorry)

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
It seems a week doesn't go by without there being an Avid drama... So I'm sorry to do this.
I had to bleed my rear brake as there was fluid leaking from the caliper. I fixed that problem and bleed the brakes.

I took off the wheel and cleaned the disc in isopropyl alcohol and then cleaned the pads with the alcohol just incase any fluid got on them, then chucked the pads in the oven to evaporate any contaminants that remained. I then put the brakes all back together and the pads were hard up against the disc so I pulled the wheel out and reset the pistons, put the wheel back in and the pads still rub the disc. It isn't as bad but it is still quite noticeable and the brakes won't actually lock the wheel on when braking, it just slowly slows the bike down. Will the brakes wear in? And will the pistons adjust themselves to fix the rubbing?

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
It seems a week doesn't go by without there being an Avid drama... So I'm sorry to do this.
I had to bleed my rear brake as there was fluid leaking from the caliper. I fixed that problem and bleed the brakes.

I took off the wheel and cleaned the disc in isopropyl alcohol and then cleaned the pads with the alcohol just incase any fluid got on them, then chucked the pads in the oven to evaporate any contaminants that remained. I then put the brakes all back together and the pads were hard up against the disc so I pulled the wheel out and reset the pistons, put the wheel back in and the pads still rub the disc. It isn't as bad but it is still quite noticeable and the brakes won't actually lock the wheel on when braking, it just slowly slows the bike down. Will the brakes wear in? And will the pistons adjust themselves to fix the rubbing?
what brakes are these? Elixirs?

rone

Eats Squid
Sounds like you may have bled too much fluid into the system - a common Avid problem. Try opening the bleed valve slightly at the caliper and use the lever to 'weep' a bit of fluid out - being careful not to contaminate the pads. Nip up the bleed port as you squeeze the lever so as not to introduce any air into the system, then clean up the caliper, reset the pistons, pump the lever and revel in correct lever feel.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Sounds like you may have bled too much fluid into the system - a common Avid problem. Try opening the bleed valve slightly at the caliper and use the lever to 'weep' a bit of fluid out - being careful not to contaminate the pads. Nip up the bleed port as you squeeze the lever so as not to introduce any air into the system, then clean up the caliper, reset the pistons, pump the lever and revel in correct lever feel.
Thanks for that. I tried what you said then and it made a difference straight up - i might have to do it once more as it is still rubbing slightly. Another thing, if I let too much fluid out will it make the brake lever sloppier?

rone

Eats Squid
Thanks for that. I tried what you said then and it made a difference straight up - i might have to do it once more as it is still rubbing slightly. Another thing, if I let too much fluid out will it make the brake lever sloppier?
Only let small amounts out at a time - too much and you'll need to re-bleed all over again.:)

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
All fixed (I think) :) brake lever is perfect. There is a slight rubbing on the disc still but nothing to worry about at the moment. I was going to wait until the morning to fix it but it was playing on my mind too much! I followed the video step by step and it was perfect.

boofy

Likes Bikes
my elixir 5's work perfectly. i did have to bleed them after about 12 months of use, but that was easy to do and worked without a hitch. still on original pads and rotors.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
my elixir 5's work perfectly. i did have to bleed them after about 12 months of use, but that was easy to do and worked without a hitch. still on original pads and rotors.
My brakes are still a bit soft and I have to pull levers in more than half way for the pads to really grab the disc and lock up the wheel. They work but in comparison what are yours like? I'm doing the Oaks trail this Sunday (pending weather) and don't know if I should try and bleed my brakes again or leave them alone.

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My brakes are still a bit soft and I have to pull levers in more than half way for the pads to really grab the disc and lock up the wheel. They work but in comparison what are yours like? I'm doing the Oaks trail this Sunday (pending weather) and don't know if I should try and bleed my brakes again or leave them alone.
if you fail the bleed a few times try ask if your bike shop can show you or something, avis can be really shit sometimes.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
I have had problems with avid... My mate has shimano they are heaps better
Yeah I may upgrade soon and will probably go to shimano. Nothing against avid because when they work they are awesome but shimano are just simple.