Another 1x10 question from a newb who will claim he has searched for the answer.

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
Hi guys long time rider short time mechanic. I have a 2011 Scott spark 30. I love this bike and it is far from worn out so I figured some drivetrain mods would be nice. In true idiot newb fashion I have managed to acquire a dh zee rear mech. The mechanic at my lbs thinks he has an xtr b link that will fit it to give me the ratios I require, my question is will this fit? And also should I just get the wolf tooth goat link instead, as the long term plan is to go to a 40 or 42 to giant cog at some point. I do realise that I can just order the fr b link but have searched for info on these goat links and there is not a lot around.
Thanks to Lloydo for the mech and now surplus 9 speed shifter

Thanks in advance.

moorey

call me Mia
For the price of a new Zee, I'd save faffing around. Sell that for $40, buy a new one for $55. Then, in 6 months, when the prices drop, go 11sp XT with 11-42. It's already pretty cheap (just over $300 for mech, shifter, chain and cassette), soon it will be a downright bargain.
My 2c.

Edit: wait, is it a zee DH, meaning 11-28t capacity? That's what I thought you meant. I thought Lloydo listed it as a free ride model (11-36t)?

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Assuming it will fit I have an XT long cage (front and rear) that remains after putting a One Up cage on the Bronson. You can have that.

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
For the price of a new Zee, I'd save faffing around. Sell that for $40, buy a new one for $55. Then, in 6 months, when the prices drop, go 11sp XT with 11-42. It's already pretty cheap (just over $300 for mech, shifter, chain and cassette), soon it will be a downright bargain.
My 2c.

Edit: wait, is it a zee DH, meaning 11-28t capacity? That's what I thought you meant. I thought Lloydo listed it as a free ride model (11-36t)?
Thanks moored you pretty much read my mind on waiting for the 11 speed. My mrs won't approve the $600 outlay to the lbs. as for the zee, I really only need the correct b link to make it work. Going to try the xtr link that the lbs has and hope that will work, if it doesn't I can order the fr version or the goat link. I am ordering an absolute black 32 oval today to get it all happening.

As a side point I want to get this zee working as I have three other bikes I can move gear to. And Lloydo didn't say which it was , my bad for not asking.

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
Assuming it will fit I have an XT long cage (front and rear) that remains after putting a One Up cage on the Bronson. You can have that.
Thanks so much for the offer, really appreciate it. Unfortunately for me I believe my issue to be the b link not the cage length. And if I decide to go big cog I will probably go one up radr.

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
Well in the quest to actually give closure to threads I finally got this gear onto the bike yesterday. Wolftooth 40, new xt cassette and chain, zee rear mech with a goatlink. And no dice. Can't get the correct chain length with the suspension fully compressed. Oh well that was an expensive little exercise to end me up with a 1x10 using a 32 front to a 36 rear. Looks like I need to either find a longer cage rear mech, be happy with the 36, or get a rad cage thingy. Or move all of this to the hard tail and follow mooreys advice and go 11 speed. Nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose.

stirk

Burner
Medium cage SLX shadow plus are cheap and good, RADr cage it and happy days. If you have a goat link maybe you don't even need the RADr cage.

Derosaking

Cannon Fodder
Sure you guys are way ahead of me but in case it's useful ...... I swapped my 29er Anthem's 2 x 10 for a 1 x 10 using a Hope Retainer narrow wide 32 and a Zee 32 - 36 rear mech and it all works a treat. I'm ok on the road and track bike mechanics but a novice on MTB gear so had to rely on one of your Buninyong mates for advice - that's a bit scary. Only issues I had were that I stupidly cut my cable outer too short and even though I had heaps to spare the leftover bit was exactly the same length as the cut bit so still too short. Ended up leaving the top tub bit bare but all the rest is covered and it works fine. The other thing is that I still get more chain slap than I want when heading down hill. Appreciate any advice on devices you might use to eliminate that - I do like a quiet bike!

stirk

Burner
Sure you guys are way ahead of me but in case it's useful ...... I swapped my 29er Anthem's 2 x 10 for a 1 x 10 using a Hope Retainer narrow wide 32 and a Zee 32 - 36 rear mech and it all works a treat. I'm ok on the road and track bike mechanics but a novice on MTB gear so had to rely on one of your Buninyong mates for advice - that's a bit scary. Only issues I had were that I stupidly cut my cable outer too short and even though I had heaps to spare the leftover bit was exactly the same length as the cut bit so still too short. Ended up leaving the top tub bit bare but all the rest is covered and it works fine. The other thing is that I still get more chain slap than I want when heading down hill. Appreciate any advice on devices you might use to eliminate that - I do like a quiet bike!
Bunnidong forgot to tell you about clutched rear derailleur's?! He is forgetful.

Shimano call them shadow + and they make one in Zee model. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-zee-m640-shadow-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod82431

If you already have a clutched derailleur and are still getting bad slap then I'd say there is something wrong with the clutch.

Last edited:

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
Hi guys. I'm back on to this again. Going to Thredbo in March, and want to try and get this 40 tooth up and running before hand. I'm going to move the zee to one of the hardtails in the shed. So my question. Which damn mech do I need to run the 40 tooth on the spark. I was considering an slx probably just for the cost factor but do I need a mid or a long cage. Or can I get an 11 speed xt as the pull ratios seem damn close and it is actually designed to go to 42 tooth from the factory.

moorey

call me Mia
Some say the zee wide range with longer B screw will do 40. I'm not convinced. The middy XT and SLX can, but some have had issues doing it without RAD cage. Others said it worked fine.
Just grab 11sp m8000 with 11-42, I say. It's silly cheap at around $300 for cassette, shifter, chain and mech. My 2c