An ambitious 18th gift

Gravity Addict

Likes Dirt
g'day

for a mates 18th we are planning on getting everyone to chip in for a downhill bike for him (it's 80 odd people so it's not overly expensive i.e $20-30 per person )
what do everyone think the best course of action is

second hand?
new (polygon or similar)
frame (not that he has much money to build it up)

cheers
(sorry if this is the wrong section)

indica

Serial flasher
Grab a new Polygon, they are a bargain.
Raced in World Cups this year, winner of Australian titles x 2.

yakkity yak

Likes Dirt
Man i wish i hate mates like you!!!
go second hand as he said ^ there are some sweet bargains on here at the moment

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Going 2nd hand is... "It's due back on the 15th..." kind of present.

Go something new. As said above hit up either Polygon or Airborne.

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Yeah go new, no one wants to hand over a second hand bike as a 18th birthday present, also if it's his first DH bike I doubt he will be outriding it any time soon. Also congrats on the awesome idea. Much better than a bottle of booze.

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
Going 2nd hand is... "It's due back on the 15th..." kind of present.

Go something new. As said above hit up either Polygon or Airborne.
If you go for something new go for polygon, i personally wouldn't go for airborn, unless they realise the new one Caroline has been testing. The geo off( steep head angle, short tt ) ( my opinion)

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you go for something new go for polygon, i personally wouldn't go for airborn, unless they realise the new one Caroline has been testing. The geo off( steep head angle, short tt ) ( my opinion)
Yeah I totally agree - plus it would be a whole lot less hassle getting the Polygon.

Bicycles Online are really easy to deal with.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Birthday Go new. First downhill rig polygon is more than enough.
Race winning proven design and frame and as a beginner the components will last a while and wint be overly complicated setting up suspension. Warranty is also ideal just get a family member to do the purchase or see if you can put it under his name so if any issues arise there are no complicated issues.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Echoing previous sentiment about being top mates and going new.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a new DH bike for around $2-2.5k. quick search on bike exchange bring up run out kona's and commencals. Not sure where you are though.

Sanders.

Likes Dirt
Polygon for sure! High end spec for a good price! And as stated before, Warranty is great to have on a race winning proven frameset.

Get in quick though! I hear there is only a couple left...

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Polygon for sure! High end spec for a good price! And as stated before, Warranty is great to have on a race winning proven frameset.

Get in quick though! I hear there is only a couple left...
Their servicing guy is one of the best around also.

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
Im not sure if any are left over but the Giant shop in Adelaide was selling all 3 2012 Glory's for super cheap.

From a quick glance on bikeexhange I see:

Glory 2 - $2000 (But this is Giant Adelaide so Im positive thats actually $1800)
Glory 1 - $1999 from CYC'd for bikes in Queensland
Glory 0 - $2500 from CYC'd for bikes in Queensland

Thats crazy cheap for a Glory 0. You could even phone them up and ask for a further discount as 2013 bikes are so they will want rid of stock.

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bike...arch[flag_not_womens]=1&search[flag_womens]=1

Last edited: