Am rim choice ust or not 26"

morkz_media

Likes Dirt
So I'm looking for a new rim for a wheelsets I'm building up for an all mountain yeti sb66 want something strong so was thinking the mavic 819 however was concerned that there aren't many tyre choice that are ust or am i wrong ?

Or should l look at the dt Swiss rims ?

morkz_media

Likes Dirt
Nope melb sorry

I'm keen to look at the flows again.. I've already got hubs so will check out the flows know where I can get the rims online ?

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I'm looking for a new rim for a wheelsets I'm building up for an all mountain yeti sb66 want something strong so was thinking the mavic 819 however was concerned that there aren't many tyre choice that are ust or am i wrong ?

Or should l look at the dt Swiss rims ?
I had Mavic 819's a few years ago, they are a good tough rim - Don't worry about the lack of ust tyres just run normal tires with sealant, the UST rims negate the need for rimstrips, etc... I always ran normal tires and never had an issue.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would suggest Flow EXs i went on a major hunt looking for a good AM rim.
819s are to narrow. as are most others.
the only downside of a Flow is they are non eyeleted but they have reinforced the nipple holes on the EXs

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Go UST rim.

Most tyres out there can be run tubeless but if you don't go for a UST specific tyre then get something with reinforced sidewalls like Schwalbes with Snakeskin or Conti with ProTection.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Using UST rims does not limit you to UST tyres - standard tyres will fit too, and as others have said, they can be run tubeless. In theory, a combination of UST rims & tyres does not need sealant, but it's a good idea to put the stuff in. It is probably the easiest system for setting up tubeless, because there are no spoke holes or rim strips to potentially leak. The downside is that they can be a bitch to replace spokes if you break one.

All in all, I'd say the positives outweigh the negative.

AngryDave

Likes Bikes
I'm currently running WTB frequency i23 rims. Slightly wider than flow ex, slightly lighter and bloody stiff. And the UST bead is nice for using UST or tcs tyres. You still have to tape the spoke holes over and use sealant, but these are good alternative to flows and a lot nicer to build up yourself.