AM Leg/Shin Armour

thylaxene

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

About to hand over some readies for new riding gear and I was wondering what people would recommend for leg/shin armour for AM riding. Stuff you can wear most of the day and yet rely on it when one farks up that drop-in or rock garden etc.

Or clips a tree with one's 760mm bars! :D

Cheers.

needaride

Likes Dirt
I've worn my Fox Launch knee pads for AM riding, they work pretty good. The offer DH level protection but arent too annoying riding all day..

rydo2.0

Likes Bikes
POC Leg Pads

Go for the POC VPD Leg Pads.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36888

Tech - VPD, a soft polymer that reacts and hardens when impacted, bit like the d30 that they use in 661's stuff so they are really comfortable during normal riding conditions.

Looks - They have that cool stormtrooper finish (if you like that sort of thing)

Practicality - They cover both the knee and the shin area for complete leg protection

Price - $108 worth their weight in...... ehhh VPD :)

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
after i badly came down in my knee 4 weeks ago i've bought some 661 knee pads
started riding a bit again now, pads feel ok, can't really feel them

give boysik a pm, he sells the PinStripe pads which are the same thing

not sure i'll be keeping them on in summer though

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
Cant go wrong with the POC gear. I wear mine no matter the weather, I like my knees where they are.:)

thylaxene

Likes Bikes
My only concern with the POCs is size. CRC only has large so I was wondering what the sizing is like. I'm 6'1" and solid so I'm not 100% sure the POC larges will be big enough. So does anyone have some feedback on sizing of the POCs?

Cheers.

thylaxene

Likes Bikes
OK narrowed it down to these:

POC Bone VPD Leg Pads
POC Joint Shin

Looking at the sizing chart it looks like the larges should be fine. As in previous post happy to get feedback on fitting.

Not sure if the POC Joints will be too hot for Australian conditions though... so I thinking the Bones are the go as they are cheaper and definitely look cooler wearing.

Cheers.

shakes

Likes Dirt
I've had a pair of these for the last 10+years

Initially brought them as they were the only non-bulky pads on the market. And I think they were designed to wear underneath the big bulky pad's to give a little more comfort.

Can wear them all day, they give great support. Have handled the abuse of bmx and trials as well as general trail riding fantastically, they are still stretchy and stay put after all this time, with a few tears in the material from bouncing off rocks. Wouldn't hesitate to buy some more.