All Mountain Tyres

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Beeb I agree with most every thing in your above post except
" A lighter tyre will need more air pressure to stop it bottoming out and getting "snake-bite" punctures, and that in combination with a less aggressive tread pattern will mean a tyre with less grip and poorer ground tracking as they can tend to bounce of obstacles - that the lightweight tyre double-whammy."

If you set up your forks right they won't tend to bounce off things even with a light weight tyre with higher pressure. I had to put a Luftkappe in my Fox 36 to get a more plusher first inch or so of travel. I do tend to pick my lines though and that be the easy one.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
" A lighter tyre will need more air pressure to stop it bottoming out and getting "snake-bite" punctures, and that in combination with a less aggressive tread pattern will mean a tyre with less grip and poorer ground tracking as they can tend to bounce of obstacles - that the lightweight tyre double-whammy."

If you set up your forks right they won't tend to bounce off things even with a light weight tyre with higher pressure. I had to put a Luftkappe in my Fox 36 to get a more plusher first inch or so of travel. I do tend to pick my lines though and that be the easy one.
What is the very first thing that compresses in the huck to flat video? Tyres.

If you have to run more air pressure due to a lighter casing the tyre will deflect before the suspension has any impact.

10 New Bikes Fully Bottomed Out In Slow Motion (1000FPS) | 2021 Field Test - YouTube

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Doesn't really make sense if you're talking about running different tyres on the same wheel in the same fork.

Also, I haven't had any small-bump issues with the Smashpot in my fork.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
That's a reasonably diverse list. What tyres have you liked (front and rear separately please), and for what reasons?

And what are your priorities for your next set of tyres?
I punctured the DHR II Exo within a few weeks of owning the Ragley! I liked the DHF but I was a newb and chasing weight weeny levels of tyre lightness, hence the move to Rekons. They rolled amazingly and I never got punctures but I mellowed out my riding after I punctured and I wasn't really riding frequently enough to progress my speed, skills or fitness.

Next up were the Pirellis and I did actually like them. I got them for $38 a tyre from Wiggle and they never gave me a single issue. I did more on them and they held up well.

Now we're onto the Spectral! They came with double DHR II and they seemed pretty good but in my quest for reducing rotating mass, I sold the wheels to get some Hunt Trail v2 wheels (love them btw) and Bontrager XR4 (big mistake) so I never really got to know them. By now I'm pushing it a bit more in terms of speed, skills and fitness, and the XR4 weren't cutting it on corners. For general technical trail riding they were fine, nice and light and relatively grippy but they just didn't suit the riding I was moving into now. I eventually managed to blow out the rear tyre on a trail called Ricochet in Atherton and decided a tougher rear and grippier front were needed. Luckily I had been gifted a set of WTB tyres by then and despite their weight (including gunked up sealant), I really enjoyed them! Fast forward to a few weeks ago and the front tyre had developed a slow leak which was getting worse and this led me to snapping my valve core on the trail and walking back 3km to the car lol.

So my priorities? I guess much the same as most riders, strength, grip, low rolling resistance, and decent cost.

I ride predominantly rainforest and volcanic soil trails. Smithfield is hardpack with roots and leaves, Davies Creek is hardpack with some pea gravel and sand, Atherton is hardpack with rocks and roots and some infrequent loam. I will do 90% of my riding in Smithfield though.

Here's a quick video of the trails I ride -

I'm really enjoying cornering, hitting rock gardens and root beds at speed as well as my slower technical XC/trail riding. And I do scrape and ping the sidewalls on all manner of things.

Front: Grip, mid-strength (better than EXO), cornering, longevity
Rear: Lower rolling resistance, strong casing, longevity

My budget is around $140 (the Wild Enduros are $56 each + $45 delivery!)

If they can be between 1,000g and 1,200g then I'd be happy with that.

The obvious choice is DHF MaxGripp Exo+ up front and DHR II MaxTerra Exo+ or even a DD out back but $$$.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
Like Beeb said, only the rider can decide the tyre.
Me, I like the Mazza/Martello in trail, 2.4 - 2.35 on my Optic, lots of people will disagree.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Doesn't really make sense if you're talking about running different tyres on the same wheel in the same fork.

Also, I haven't had any small-bump issues with the Smashpot in my fork.
I don't have any problems running these front tyres on my forks. Depends where I'm riding just a few clicks on the forks does it now.

Specialized Butcher
Continental Cross King
Maxxiss Minnion DHF

Would like a lighter wheelset for the Cross Kings.

After putting springs in your forks you would hope it's plusher with excellent ramp up.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I'm big and only really run EXO casing, but with inserts. Mostly ride at the Youies which is loose over hard with a smattering of rocks and rock gardens in places.

DHR2 and HR2 either end are my preference. I find the HR2 rolls slightly better, but haven't had an issue with the casing of either.

But like @beeb says, everyone is different, runs different things and have different preferences.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Specialized Purgatory T9 front and T7 rear is a good trail combo. Add cushcore to the rear for added safety if you are heavy, ride rocks or don’t pick lines. They don’t grip as well as a Cannibal/Assegai up front but in dry conditions you’ve got to be pressing on somewhat to notice the difference.

Jabubu

Specialized Purgatory T9 front and T7 rear is a good trail combo. Add cushcore to the rear for added safety if you are heavy, ride rocks or don’t pick lines. They don’t grip as well as a Cannibal/Assegai up front but in dry conditions you’ve got to be pressing on somewhat to notice the difference.
Honestly, I'd rather avoid running an insert from a PITA aspect! Plus might as well run a DH tyre with the extra weight it adds.

Jabubu

I got great advice, you are 11 days in to the Great Cycle Challenge and haven't ridden for 9 days.

You have 20 days left and need to cover 350km.

Run what you got and on yer bike.
Why do you think I have a Fast Track on? Anyhoo you're right, I do need to get a move on, sadly a few factors have prevented me from riding much recently - back on it today though!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Haha yeah fuck charity, let's sit on a forum all day lol
Seems like it.

I used to do the Festive 500 each year and you missed one day, those Km's compounded. I completed it 3-4 times and failed it 3 times.

2014 I set out to do 330km in one hit, overnight as I was going away for NY, only for my lights to turn off at midnight with about 110km done (fark knows how), went home and slept for 3-4 hours then cracked out the final 225km.

Might be an option for you with those fast tyres on.

fhfhfh.jpg

Last edited:

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
The obvious choice is DHF MaxGripp Exo+ up front and DHR II MaxTerra Exo+ or even a DD out back but $$$.
I know what you mean re cost but just go the obvious choice and ride the crap out of them for a year. You wont remember the cost at the end of the year. Either a DHF or Assegai in Exo+ MaxGripp is all the tyre you will ever need. It will mount easy, grip for days, has a great feel through the sidewall and will wear well enough on the front to last a year. I would consider Dissector in Max Terra on the back but that or DHR are both perfect for 95% of what you’ll be riding

Having said all that - I ran Wild Enduro’s and liked them and would have kept riding them if I could have found stock 6 months ago. I’m back on Maxxis for now.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again