All mountain styles - Specialized Enduro Pro w/Sunline love

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That there is a very cool rig.
The only thought I could put in your mind would be an adjustable post.
It just so happens Spesh make one that would fit... (apart form the others ont he market, of course!)
I think the ability to drop the post for DH and raise it for the uphills on the fly would be the only improvement I could think of for the bike, especially with a single front ring.

mace2109

Likes Bikes
Okay, not as easy and cheap as i thought:confused:
I guess we all want champagne on a beer budget....maybe I should just save the dosh and get a good second hand DH dedicated bike as well, and keep the AM intact.
Thanks Floody for the reply:)

floody

Wheel size expert
Raided crossmark 2.25s and flyweight tubes off my 4X bike, and swapped on my Funn seat (had put sunline one on 4X bike for nationals round.. weekend didn't pan out well...less spoken of that the better!)
Stylos crapped out in no time flat, by the time they'd been on and off once the splines began flogging out; so SRAM/Monza generously warrantied them with a fresh set of '09 Stylo GXPs!
Feel much better, no slop, and 90g lighter for the win, (for free!)!

Thanks guys!

Ordering brown sunline ti rail seat this week to extend the 'after grog bog' colour theme a bit further and knock another 100g off. Then just waiting for the new LG-1s to shave some more..I'll get it into the 13s yet!

Love this thing, puts a smile on my face every time, just an amazing platform.

Last edited:

muvro

Likes Dirt
Love the bike man!

It's the exact frame I am in the market for now. Going to slowly build it to suit.

I am loving all the feedback I've been reading re the enduro. It's given me confidence in my desicion.

floody

Wheel size expert
With the changing seasons...

Not much to report. Changed seat to brown Sunline Ti-rail one, changed tyres to Maxxis LUST Highrollers (Still running tubes, but the LUST casing gives me a good weight to carcass stiffness. May try Stans later).

Frankly its been faultless, has now done about the full gamut of my riding spectrum and excelled at all aspects.
May get some grey ti-axle MG-1s, contemplating saint derailleur/shifter for silence factor, and a closer ratio cassette as I find I'm really only using cogs 3-9 regularly.

floody

Wheel size expert
Mild update. Have made refinements over the past year, and with the opportunity to race what is probably Australia's gnarliest Super-D this weekend, some other small mods.

Latest round was a gold XO trigger, Aerozine gold spacer, Sunline V1s in 19x745mm, Dual Ply Minion front/Larsen rear combo, Renthal SR4 chainring in 36t.

Frame - '06 Enduro Pro, Brown, Medium
Rear shock - DHX5.0 Air
Front shock/fork - '06 Fox 36RC Talas 110-150mm
Handlebars - Sunline V1 19mm rise, 745mm wide
Stem - Sunline AM 50mm
Headset - Cane Creek something
Grips - Sunline Half Waffle brown
Saddle - Sunline Ti Rail, Brown
Seatpost - Specialized
Front brake - XT, 203mm
Rear brake - XT, 203mm
Cranks - Truvativ Stylo, Renthal SR4 36t ring
Chainguide - E13 LG-1
Chain - SRAM PC971
Pedals - Wellgo MG-1 330G pair!
Rear derailleur - X0
Rear shifter - X0 Gold Nugget
Cassette - 11-34
Front hub - Specialized
Rear hub - DT SL
Front rim - DT Swiss EX5.1d, 32
Rear rim - DT Swiss EX5.1d, 32
Spokes - DT butted
Nipples - DT
Tyres - Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 Dual Ply Super Tacky, Maxxis Larsen TT 2.35 Dual Ply slow reezay
Tubes - Specialized Turbo ultralight/Specialized ATB

Should be fun for the race this weekend, I just hope I don't bin it.

Toff

Likes Dirt
Looks the sh*t Mark. Look forward to seeing how you go at the Super D, ride report is a must! I'll be sure to post up any snaps I get of you from the race.

Having read your war journal entry about the SX Trail, this must be ridiculously good at descending if it's better. And Kai told me you were thinking of selling it!

Disco

Likes Dirt
YEAH! She's looking good! didnt take me long to switch the enduro tyres off mine... although I loved them, just needed some thicker sidewall...

Blingin' work floody. Love to see another adoring enduro owner.

floody

Wheel size expert
Look forward to seeing how you go at the Super D
To be honest the only thing holding it back is the motor :eek:

Having read your war journal entry about the SX Trail, this must be ridiculously good at descending if it's better. And Kai told me you were thinking of selling it!
Its pretty good, as good as an SX-Trail of that chassis generation in my opinion, but almost 5kg lighter, a bit sharper in the singletrack, and better to pedal.

Yeah Disco, those Enduro tyres are dangerous things. Unpredictable would be the best description.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nice rig! looking tidy as.
real all mountain is awesome fun. i imagine tassie would have some wicked all mountain riding- jealous!
ive got a reign X1, and its wicked fun to smash around a good loop somewhere.
not as nice as the enduro, but does the job!

floody

Wheel size expert
Well... Wellington Super-D day one rundown.

-Practice.
Had a nice clean run, couple of stops to rest, walked the uphills to save the legs a bit, pretty happy with it. Bike is awesome, definitely fast as it gets for a 6" bike.
Track is brutally rough, awesomely fast, well outside comfort zone a lot of the time.

Good fun. Slow reezay Dual Ply Larsen TT is probably the hidden all mountain tyre secret. Amazing grip even in the rocks and loose stuff, although exposed sidewall cops a clobbering. relaxed ~25 minute run.

-Elite mens seeding...
Ah uncool... About a minute in, pivot pin fell out of rear brake lever, pack disappeared. Chased as hard as I could down the rockiest loosest gnar possible, smashed the uphills pedalling, got sight of the back of the pack but with only one brake, it was never going to be a good time. Turned front rotor purple and was 3 finger braking by the end, massive, massive right arm pump...
29:10 and second last in elite seeding. One of the hardest, scariest runs of my life.

I think I'll just roll down from the second row tomorrow and see who I can pick off.

Next time we run this thing, EVERYONE needs to come down. Its insane. Its ridiculous.
Mt Buller super-d is/was 6km and 500m vertical drop. This is 6km and ~1000m drop.

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
De Facto Wellington Super-D report

Race run.

Since my seeding run went badly, I was off the very back of the pack (19 elite men/women), passed a bunch of people across the flat-ish top section, kept up the el desperado passes down into the steep rocky stuff, then just progressively ran out of arms and hands and got eaten up.

Rode pretty conservatively the rest of the way, stopped a couple of times to rest my hands because my little fingers were going numb and it was hard to hold on, brakes were fading badly finally sprinted over the line in 25:53, a few positions better than I started. Fitness failed, bike didn't, just had nothing left in the tank.

Kaine Cannan won the open mens division in a ridiculous, mental time of 16:40 on his 4Shaw Agencies/SRAM Intense M6, followed in ten seconds later by Tim Watson amazingly on a Commencal Meta 5.5(!), and local Ripper Josh Johnston in third.

It was an absolutely amazing event, and hopefully will be run again late in this year; I would encourage anyone with a bike and a full face to make their way down because it is an absolute epic.

Massive props to Simon French and the entire DirtArt Events team for putting on a truly awesome event, slickly managed and huge fun. Also massive thanks to Wellington Park, Ride Bellerive, MacOrama Digital Life Services, Van Dieman Brewery and Rockstar/88 Agencies.

Equipment report.
Had some vibration related failures over the weekend; first mechanicals I've had with this bike. Lost rear brake lever pivot pin, vibrated out. Two chainring bolts vibrated loose and fell out between the carpark and the startline.
Will give everything a dose of loctite next time!

Larsen TT Dual Ply slow reezay was a major surprise, a very capable tyre, although for super rocky stuff the sidewall is a little exposed. Grip and rolling resistance were both awesome.

Renthal SR4 Chainring is an AMAZING piece of gear. The difference in stiffness compared to the previous E13 item is amazing (as in almost feels like a different crankset), and it coped with repeated hits that would fold the E13 one without flinching. I was constantly bottoming the chainring and guide into rocks, and it is as straight as it was out of the packet.

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
13.9kg with all mountain folding tyres, 15.5kg with DH tyres and tubes.

Nah that hole wasn't there until my race run at the Super-D.

floody

Wheel size expert
A rock I'd say, a fair chunk of the course is smashing through a massive rock garden filled with baby heads and microwaves. Like probably 5 minutes worth.

oldbean

NSWMTB
Bummer about the hole!

As for the Super D, sounds awesome! Why not get that report and the results up on the front page? I'm sure there are heaps of people on RB who would love to hear that a race like this was held and they could start planning on getting down there for the next one. This report is kinda buried here in the Post Your Ride thread. Any photos?