All Mountain goodness

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe overkill for what will be my XC bike but I like a bit of cushion for the pushin'. Haven't given it a real test yet but just climbed up a loose, rocky hill near my place that's been confounding me for the last six months.

Found a bargain frame without fork brand new for $1,200. Swapped over the parts from my Mongoose Teocali super on Saturday. I've dropped a kilo and added a half inch of travel. Pity I didn't have parts worthy of the frame but oh well, still quite nicely specced...

Frame - Specialized S-Works Enduro Carbon Large
Rear shock - Specialized
Front shock/fork - Rock Shox Pike 454
Handlebars - Easton EA70
Stem - Thomson X4
Headset - Ritchey WCS Carbon
Grips - ODI Ruffian
Saddle - Selle San Marco Aspide
Seatpost - Thomson
Front brake - Avid Juicy 7
Rear brake - Avid Juicy 7
Cranks - FSA afterburner with Shimano 26/36
Chainguide - N/A
Chain - XT
Pedals - Eggbeater Stainless
Front derailleur - XT
Rear derailleur - X9
Front shifter - X9
Rear shifter - X9
Cassette - XT
Front hub - WTB Laserdisc
Rear hub - WTB Laserdisc
Front rim - WTB Laserdisc Trail
Rear rim - WTB Laserdisc Trail
Spokes - WTB OE
Nipples - WTB OE
Tyres - Maxxis Crossmark 2.25
Tubes - Ghetto tubeless
Total weight - 13.4kg

I've lusted over these bikes for a couple of years now, rapt to finally own one!

Last edited:

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers, just this one, sold the S-works Langster a while ago which I regret doing but it had to be done.

Single income / (Mortgage + child) = n-1

I had to sell off my old DH bike to buy this frame to swap over.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now 13.2kgs!

Just had to add, swapping from a triple to a double 26/36 has brought me down to 13.2kg from 13.5kg, found a Shimano 36t ring and some single speed titanium chainring bolts in the shed which were perfect for the double setup and bought a 26t granny ring. Next up is wheels or cranks (I've managed to bend the spindle on the Afterburners)...

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
$1200 for a carbon Spesh. Unreal. Tidy looking rig. Nothing like a bike that climbs and then goes like a maniac downhill.

Bodin

GMBC
Just had to add, swapping from a triple to a double 26/36 has brought me down to 13.2kg from 13.5kg, found a Shimano 36t ring and some single speed titanium chainring bolts in the shed which were perfect for the double setup and bought a 26t granny ring.
Let me know the pros and cons of this set up once you'e put some miles on it. Being that I spend almost zero time off road on the big dog and only about 10% of time in the 22, I've been wondering for ages about either a 36/26 or 36/24 set up for my Stumpy FSR.

my_bike

Likes Dirt
That quite cheap for a Enduro frame and looks cool.
By the way you use to work at Teds Cycles in footscray?

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
:cool:Very nice, did you get warranty?
Didn't ask, at that price I sort of don't care but if push came to shove, I reckon I'd get it.

Let me know the pros and cons of this set up once you'e put some miles on it. Being that I spend almost zero time off road on the big dog and only about 10% of time in the 22, I've been wondering for ages about either a 36/26 or 36/24 set up for my Stumpy FSR.
Will do, although right now my biggest fear is mechanical failure, I did it over a few vinos. I'm taking it out this morning for a flogging, fairly hilly 'round here and likewise, I never use the 44t..

That quite cheap for a Enduro frame and looks cool.
By the way you use to work at Teds Cycles in footscray?
Yes, used to, who's this?

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ride report

A few changes, ripped a cable housing so now have white & red cable outers to match the frame. White lock on grips now too - what was I thinking? They get very dirty very quickly & look nasty, they're wicked when clean but they don't stay white. Ti & alloy bolts where appropriate. Have only done small upgrades because I'm on a strictly limited budget (read as: Mrs Christo is ready to murder me if I spend too much at once).

Not particularly happy with the crossmarks - suggestions for good 2.1+ tyres for clay/rocky terrain please, need to be fast & not too porky.

Pics coming soon.

I love this bike.

Well, after putting it through a few kms (not enough) I actually miss the 44t - even though I hardly used it, I think because this setup is much lighter. I think a 26:39 would be a much better combo so I'll have to look into that one.

Z350

Likes Bikes
i have a specialized pitch with a 26:40 combo and it runs really well also try specialized eskar tires a little pricey at $100 each but have a search and u can get them for less

Bodin

GMBC
Well, after putting it through a few kms (not enough) I actually miss the 44t - even though I hardly used it, I think because this setup is much lighter. I think a 26:39 would be a much better combo so I'll have to look into that one.
Agreed on the 26:39 - SRAM XX agrees with you too. I've ended up going to a 970-series XTR crankset and front mech, so I won't be messing with any gear combos after all. It all works too damn nicely to tinker with, so it looks like I'll be running standard gear combos for at least a few years to come.

Having said that, though, I'm not at all disappointed to be running standard rings on the XTR cranks. The freakin things are so stiff they make my shins feel flexy and the bike's lost some weight in other areas, so I'm on the big dog much more often these days.

I'm still very jealous of your frame, regardless of anything else. It's just a sweet piece of gear. You up for a ride at the Youies one of these days?

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Christo - How's the bike running mate? I'm interested to hear a ride report and see upgraded pics... the original looks great though!

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Christo - How's the bike running mate? I'm interested to hear a ride report and see upgraded pics... the original looks great though!
Sorry, I never check this section of the forums.

Really well so far. Although I don't ride her as much as I should. 2 x 9 is working fine, still running 26/36 and looking for a ramped & pinned 39 a la SRAM XX - will settle for 26/38 if I find the right chainring. I've been riding a lot of hardtail lately, roadie and a fully rigid 29er so this thing feels weird when I ride it. Lots of fun though, took it out for a blast last week & have fallen in love with it again. Going for a 50-60km XC ride tomorrow on it which should prove fun.

Blurry phone pic in the current configuration, slight changes in cables & grips - damn white grips are now brown..

morningglory said:
just wondering if you are a giant? I don think i've ever seen a seatpost that long/high before?!!!
Sheesh, it's not that high, there's still a bit of extension left if I wanted it. I'm no LTR but I'm about 6'2", the frame is a Large size & I could probably sneak onto an extra large frame but I'm happy with this size.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
White grips are hell to keep clean.

Looks very nice though. Biggest seat post I have ever seen though. :eek: