Air Compressor ?

ChopSticks

Banned
hey guys,

Sick of treking it to the petrol station to set up my tubeless tires, so I was looking at buying a cheapie air compressor to make tubeless set up and bike cleaning easier at home.

my question is what sort of air compressor will I need to have the equivalent power/pressure offered at the local pump?
will a small/cheap ($80) 2HP be overkill? or will i require something with alot more juice?

what do you guys use? or dos anyone know what sort of compressor petrol stations have?

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
It's been a while since I looked into air compressors but I would think a 10CFM would be fine.

It's not so much the size of the motor as the size of the tank. Even a small compressor will run a fairly big rattle gun to undo stubborn wheel nuts on a car. You will just have to undo them the rest of the way by hand as the rattle guns use high volumes of air.

The motor is important in keeping up with supply of air but to inflate a tyre is a relatively small amount of air.

A small compressor will do fine and be less of a nusence than a 13 or 17 CFM compressor. The time from start up to primed is near on 2-3minutes for a big compressor. And they are a lot noisier. Don't bother with a big one unless Die Grinding or spray painting a car is on the cards.

JP

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I've got a 2HP one and it works fine, that I bought at Supercheap Auto for around that price.

At one of the Flings one of the bike mechanics there had this double barreled track pump which was excellent also for re-inflating tubeless tyres. I needed a top up of Stans and he used this thing and it was very effective too. Can't remember the brand now, could have been a Silca. It was impressive, the kind of thing that would be handy to take away.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys,

Sick of treking it to the petrol station to set up my tubeless tires, so I was looking at buying a cheapie air compressor to make tubeless set up and bike cleaning easier at home.

my question is what sort of air compressor will I need to have the equivalent power/pressure offered at the local pump?
will a small/cheap ($80) 2HP be overkill? or will i require something with alot more juice?
yep, same as i got. Works well...

moorey

call me Mia
Has anyone tried a higher volume 12v portable car/4wd compressor for tubeless? I have a big compressor at home but only ever use the one in my landy for bike tyres. I don't run tubeless though. Mine will pump up a 2.4" to 30psi in about 5 seconds, and is by no means a fancy one. Very handy to have out and about with you on the road.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just use a C02 canister for inflating my tubeless tires. Costs a few dollars a pop and works a treat!

redbruce

Eats Squid
Has anyone tried a higher volume 12v portable car/4wd compressor for tubeless? I have a big compressor at home but only ever use the one in my landy for bike tyres. I don't run tubeless though. Mine will pump up a 2.4" to 30psi in about 5 seconds, and is by no means a fancy one. Very handy to have out and about with you on the road.
Yes, doesnt work. You need a storage tank in order to deliver sufficient volume and pressure quickly.

Some of the high end 4X4 units now have small tanks but I havent used one.

moorey

call me Mia
Yes, doesnt work. You need a storage tank in order to deliver sufficient volume and pressure quickly.

Some of the high end 4X4 units now have small tanks but I havent used one.
Cool. I actually have a spare blue tongue compressor and and a small external reservoir tank that I've never fitted. When hell freezes over and I run tubeless (in which I will swear by tubeless, and abuse all the luddites and their tubed fossils) I might have to hook it up.
Something like this might be a good option, chops.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep I've got a 2hp Bunnings jobbie, works great, but only inflates to 80psi if that's an issue.

Bodin

GMBC
Pro-Tip

While you're waiting on an air compressor (I bought a cheapie from SuperCheap Auto that works fine), another trick if you find yourself having issues is to look at your valve cores.

If they're removable, screw them out and try again with a normal pump - you get much greater airflow without the core in and it can sometimes the the helping hand you need to get the tyre beads to go *thwack*.

Getting the valve back in while trying to keep the air in the tyre is a bit challenging, but entirely possible with dextrous use of one's thumb. Just make sure it's not pointing at your eye...

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
good tip above..

i got a few years out of a crappy chinese one that i was given, still works but won't get up to a decent presure and i always think its going to blow up!

so, just shopped around for one, range from 199 to 299

ended up getting the cheapest option from Bunnings, 2hp, $88.

will let you know how it goes, and yep, primarily bought for doing tubeless

A

ChopSticks

Banned
Thanks for all the input boys!!!
much appreciated!

good tip above..

i got a few years out of a crappy chinese one that i was given, still works but won't get up to a decent presure and i always think its going to blow up!

so, just shopped around for one, range from 199 to 299

ended up getting the cheapest option from Bunnings, 2hp, $88.

will let you know how it goes, and yep, primarily bought for doing tubeless

A

Please do let me know how it goes!!! Would be really happy if a $88 does the job :)

andio

Squid
Yep I've got an ARB one without a tank and it works fine.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Can't remember the HP of mine but got it half price at Supercheap years ago. More for reno's and car work. If all its for it bikes and you'll never paint with it etc a small one should be heaps. I have to be carefull mine pumps them up dam quick. First setting up my tubeless blew the tyre off the rim in a 2-3seconds inflating. Got a handle on it now though. Gets my flat bar up to 80psi in seconds also and is supposedly good for 120psi. Id give the $80 a go will do what you need I'd say.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
Thanks for all the input boys!!!
much appreciated!

Please do let me know how it goes!!! Would be really happy if a $88 does the job :)
so far so good, just blown up a ghetto maxxis 2.4 highroller on a dt 5.1 rim

i used the line off the old one, along with the stick valve
Bunnings do a kit, line, spray gun, engine cleaner, tyre inflator, air gun for $45

ChopSticks

Banned
2hp Supercheap/Bunnings shall do !!!.....

one more question.... are all the fittings interchangeable?
or proprietary?

are cheap gauges inaccurate? or sufficient? for 20-45 psi bike tyres?

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2hp Supercheap/Bunnings shall do !!!.....

one more question.... are all the fittings interchangeable?
or proprietary?

are cheap gauges inaccurate? or sufficient? for 20-45 psi bike tyres?
All the air fittings were interchangeable. I bought a small kit with a few accessories and they all just change with the snap fittings. The gauges seem as reliable as any other cheap gauge. I have a digital pressure gauge that I use and they are pretty close...

moorey

call me Mia
All the air fittings were interchangeable. I bought a small kit with a few accessories and they all just change with the snap fittings. The gauges seem as reliable as any other cheap gauge. I have a digital pressure gauge that I use and they are pretty close...
I've had a few cheapies that were +/- 5psi. Its been years since I guaged pressure by anything other than feel anyway. Only ever use guage on the 4x4 :noidea:

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
There are two types of air fittings though Im pretty sure? Can't remember what they are called, think one is more common so stick with the same one and you'll be fine. You can tell them apart pretty well I think. Depending on what the gauge is like in the kit if you get one I bought a better one I found at Bunnings.