Afterpay at Pushys

Not sure if anyone else has seen this site but Pushys are a part of it and offer purchasing the items and paying for them after they have been received in 4 instalments. It's not a credit card or anything like that, just select Afterpay at checkout, receive the items and pay afterward.

Saw it on TV the other day.

https://www.afterpay.com.au/shop/

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I can't help but think whoever is organising the funding would make money from non-payment. In other words, a default would benefit them...

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I guess the business model is that they expect a lot of late payments.
The consumer doesn't pay extra to use the service, but you can bet that the merchant pays fees for every sale made using Afterpay - guessing a percentage of the sale price. For the merchant, it'd be a matter of whether the increase in sales due to having the service available offsets the reduced profit they make on the sales.

For Pushys, I can see that it's a point of difference to the likes of CRC - faster shipping, local support, and not having to pay the lot up front could be enough to make some people use them instead.

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
I used it recently for a couple of helmets and it all went through smoothly.

And for those mentioning the fees you will get charged for late payment - They send you both reminder text and emails the day before each collection so in theory it should limit how often people get caught out by having no cash in the account.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Or people buying items beyond their means...
I can't help but think whoever is organising the funding would make money from non-payment. In other words, a default would benefit them...
Yes, that's right. The consumer doesn't pay for the service, as thatsnotme says below. But the service seems to make money from late payment charges.

The consumer doesn't pay extra to use the service, but you can bet that the merchant pays fees for every sale made using Afterpay - guessing a percentage of the sale price. For the merchant, it'd be a matter of whether the increase in sales due to having the service available offsets the reduced profit they make on the sales.
Might be right there, although I'd reckon if the seller is paying for the service those costs will be passed on to the purchaser in the end.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Yes, that's right. The consumer doesn't pay for the service, as thatsnotme says below. But the service seems to make money from late payment charges.
Yeah, they have late payment fees, but apparently they only charge those after notifying you of the missed payment, and then giving you up to midnight to complete the payment. That actually seems like a pretty fair model - compare that to banks who just slug you an (often much higher) fee no questions asked. I'm sure they end up making some money off late fees, but they'd be crazy to rely on penalties like that to keep a business afloat - it's just too random and inconsistent, and definitely not a way to encourage repeat business.

Might be right there, although I'd reckon if the seller is paying for the service those costs will be passed on to the purchaser in the end.
Most likely, but that already happens with everything else like credit card fees (assuming they don't charge surcharges) and other operating costs. No idea what is in Afterpay's contract with the merchant, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they prohibit the merchant charging any type of fee for using the service.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Kinda do though as you will get less of a discount. The merchant has to pay like with Certegy, Once, GE and whoever else.
I don't think it'll actually make any difference in this case. From what I can see, this service is exclusively for use with online shopping, giving you another option at the checkout. As the stuff you're buying online is going to be a fixed price anyway, payment method won't affect the price in the end. Like I said before, the merchant may be passing on the cost of the service through increasing their prices, but that increase will be for everyone, regardless of how they pay.

And don't get me started on Certigy... 'No interest ever' - but monthly account keeping fees, a fee every time you actually make a payment, and then if you finish paying everything off and don't close down the account, the monthly fee continues! I don't actually know how they get away with not supplying comparison rates, because the zero interest you're being sold is probably more like 6 or 7% comparison rate.

Last edited:

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Ahhhh, I've just noticed that Pushy's only have Afterpay available for purchases over $200. So there's the carrot for merchants to get involved - if you're a customer comparing the $150 item to the $200 item, but you can just pay $50 a pay for the more expensive one, then why not go for the more expensive, 'better' one!

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
FWIW, I used Afterpay at Pushy's a few weeks back to buy a new boot mounted bike rack. Last payment is due on Friday.

Can't fault the service. Signing up was quick and simple. Text message reminders the day before each payment. Importantly, so far no spam email / texts trying to get me to buy more stuff - hopefully that continues.

About the only thing I wasn't expecting, and it's really only a small one, is that if you're a new customer (ie making a purchase within 7 weeks of signing up) your first instalment has to be paid at the time of purchase, instead of 2 weeks later. No big deal, just means you've finished paying it off a couple of weeks earlier.

I can see myself using it again. It's basically a short term layby, except you get to take your stuff home straight away.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
FWIW, I used Afterpay at Pushy's a few weeks back to buy a new boot mounted bike rack. Last payment is due on Friday.

Can't fault the service. Signing up was quick and simple. Text message reminders the day before each payment. Importantly, so far no spam email / texts trying to get me to buy more stuff - hopefully that continues.

About the only thing I wasn't expecting, and it's really only a small one, is that if you're a new customer (ie making a purchase within 7 weeks of signing up) your first instalment has to be paid at the time of purchase, instead of 2 weeks later. No big deal, just means you've finished paying it off a couple of weeks earlier.

I can see myself using it again. It's basically a short term layby, except you get to take your stuff home straight away.
Do they outline the penalties if you miss a payment, up front?

#hashtag

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Do they outline the penalties if you miss a payment, up front?

#hashtag
Yes they do. $10 late payment fee, and an extra $7 if still not made a week after. They seem to be doing everything they can to help you avoid getting hit with that fee too - if you ever have to pay it, there's nobody to blame but yourself.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
It's a great way to acquire something shiny and new by stealth ie less chance of the missus finding out
Hit the nail on the head. Buying a whole new frame of expy wheels for example. I think my delegated authority by the minister of war and finance is aroudn $200. Anything more raises an eyebrow, over $500 and things start taking a turn. This is great!

Also I think they are thinking that a lot of people liek me have a few hudred worth o fstuff in cart or wishlist. This might accelerate the purchases a bit more. Certainly there have been times when I've suddenly racked up a few hundred and taken a few things out, usually the things I needed in the first place!

Minlak

custom titis
Was liking the afterpay option with Pushys.. But noticed it's now been removed as an option?
Afterpay is gone they now use ZipMoney. Similar principal but you now have to spend $500 and you get 6 mths interest free. There is a $5 account fee / mth whilst you have an open balance with it.

*Edit currently says upto 12mths interest free now.

Last edited: