"Affordable" Neck Braces

Hamo

Likes Dirt
Well, I've done a search and it came up with a few results, which was interesting but in the last 6 months it seems the number of people racing downhill with these has grown a lot, so I was hoping more people could recommend an affordable but effective/comfortable neck brace.
I didn't think I'd bother with one, as I've taken some very hard head first landings and thought "If I haven't broken my neck or back from those, I'm not gonna break it!" Well I just found out 4 months after one accident that it did cause a pretty decent compression fracture in my back! Seeing in the x-ray how the whole vertebrae has changed shape, it scared me and so now I want a neck brace! That said, if I don't have to spend 900 bucks for a decent one then I won't.
I saw in other threads a few people mention the EVS neck brace (I think it was EVS anyway) but I'd like to hear from more people hopefully about a few different brands, pros and cons of each.
Thanks
-H

takai

Eats Squid
The difference is that in Go Karting you are compressed down against your body, and you dont have to move your head.
The sheer act of riding and having to change riding position makes this a VERY unattractive brace.

mayo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey man

i have recently bought a evs neckbrace

very affordable at $300

very comfortable and comes in a variety, i highly reccomend you get one of these :D

noballz

Likes Dirt
my understanding is that there are 3 manufacturers that make them - evs, leatt and alpinestar. alpinestar are by far the most expensive. evs are the cheapest. i have heard that leatt are coming out with an adventure series which will be at the same pricepoint as the evs, but wont have the same adjustabilty as their normal range.

the evs is under $300 at any moto shop. it doesnt have the adjustabilty that the leatt has, but if it fits why do you care.

my advise is to go to a shop with your helmet and body armour if you wear one and try one on. i got body armour after i bought the neck brace and now it is a bit too small. when i come out of a g out the neck brace pushes the helmet over my eyes, that i can barely see.

i have an evs and its okay. well at $700 for the leatt and $900 for the alpinestar the wheelchair started looking appealing :p. you can feel it when walking around, but when riding i dont notice it. the foam collar gets a bit hot around the neck, but at least you can remove it when not riding as it is detachable.

Hamo

Likes Dirt
Ahh thanks guys.
There was one advertised here on farkin for $500 by FRO I believe. I clicked onto the FRO site and couldn't find any neck protector. Has anyone used these and does anyone know if they're still available?

noballz

Likes Dirt
Ahh thanks guys.
There was one advertised here on farkin for $500 by FRO I believe. I clicked onto the FRO site and couldn't find any neck protector. Has anyone used these and does anyone know if they're still available?
leatt took fro to court for patent infringement and they settled out of court, so you wont be able to buy them new anymore. well thats my undertsanding anyway. i could be wrong. it wont be the first time and certainly not the last :p

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i got my leatt from ebay (from america) for $500, it's the normal one aswell not the adventure one.

have a good look around i guess, see what you can find.

Staunch

Eats Squid
i got my leatt from ebay (from america) for $500, it's the normal one aswell not the adventure one.

have a good look around i guess, see what you can find.
Yeah, same.
Check out some overseas online Moto stores, I got my Leatt GPX club (the decent one) for $533 including postage from one.

Usually the neck braces are cheaper from the US, shops over here don't adjust their prices according to the ever changing exchange rate.

Az

Likes Dirt
Cassons have taken over distributorship for Leatt exclusively in Oz now.

DH/BMX models just landed and the prices are great

DBX Comp (Mike Day) @ $549 RRP
DBX Ride @ $359.95

and the EVS evolution can be had for $219 locally now.

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
its either on here or PB have asearch, a very good article on the big 3 braces. they all work in different ways depending on whatg the boffins at each company consider catastrophic injury. in theory evs is the best cos it is desinged to stop direct impact crush injuries, leat is best for side to side whip and alpine stars front to back whip, that migh not be the correct order but you get the idea.

try to find the article if your really interested.
there is also a fourth contender, i am away fro mhome at the moment but will post up the details soon as i get back on the WE. the fourth is a good price and supposedly a real good blend of all three.

Last edited:

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
found it on my phone interweb thingy. its the Omega neck brace. can be found in a few MX shops in the us at about $230. have a google, few good reviews and fitting video etc on the web.

this is the one i'm going for cos one review said its better fitting for bigger people over the A.S or EVS.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alpinestars Bionic,
I got mine for $399 from these guys http://www.amawarehouse.com.au/
Great service, and they were more than happy to let me go for a spin around with one on, to see if it was going to work for me with my helmet etc.(As i had a leatt adventure and i couldn't see anything with it due to not being able to look up.)

They also held one for me, even though they had a waiting list a mile long for my size, as i couldn't get to them during the week.

So far im stoaked with it, and you can see much more than with the leatts.