Adjustable Seat Posts

deano

Likes Dirt
+1 for KS

KS for me but I think whatever you get buy local because it seems every single brand seems to have issues from time to time.

I bought my KS i900r 11 months ago, seemed perfect until just recently when it started dropping about 10mm or so by itself. I thought it just needed a service so contacted pushie to find out how to go about getting it serviced and they said it sounded like a warranty issue, I sent it away to them, they received it on Monday and I had it back on Friday with new insides under warranty and a new head that I asked for. 5 day turn around including shipping! Try that if you buy your post from Jensens or chain reaction and have a problem.

Adjustable seatposts are in their infancy and while reliability seems to be reasonable things seem to go wrong more often than other components, I reckon you're playing with fire ordering overseas until they becoming absolutely rock solid reliable like suspension items are now.

On the subject of pushie I was blown away with how good they were, when I bought the post they were distributed by a different company - no problem, they totally looked after it. They told me what was happening every step of they way i.e. when they got the post, how much my replacement head would cost, when the work was finished, when it was shipped back, everything, I didn't wonder what was going on once, by far the best service I have had from anyone in bikes in the 17 years I have been riding mtb. And now the post is even better than before - just like anyone who has one says about KS, minimal rotational movement, no slop, smooth action, excellent remote, my only gripe had been the cable getting dirty very easily (it's very exposed at the seat) - have hopefully remedied that now with sealed caps on the cable outer and using a dry teflon coated inner, super light action at the lever with this combo and hopefully will last.

To answer the OP sorry you still have to sit on it to lower it.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Cheers for the wrap ... will pass on to the guys. :fat:

*snip ... my only gripe had been the cable getting dirty very easily (it's very exposed at the seat) ...
A little Ghetto I know but a cable boot helps as well ... it also helps to put a bit of spring like tension on the actuator so if you have too much cable tension you won't get slow release of the post height. We've asked KS if we can have these supplied as standard on the Supernaturals and Dropzones in future.

DSC06083 (592x800).jpg

Some Slicko on the cable end (if you can inject it into the cable housing then great) + under the end cap & in the boot will act as a great water and fine grit barrier.
Pushie does Slickoleum too :)
http://pushie.com.au/#/slickoleum/4563207772

st_1oz_300x225.jpg

stoo

Likes Dirt
Given that all the shite comes from the rear wheel, would that little boot keep the cable any cleaner than the rubber guard that comes with the post? I just fitted my remote kit today so I don't know how it'll go yet.......

And what they all said, Pushie were just ace to deal with, I couldn't be happier with the service.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I forgot about the rubber boot ... but I think thats just on the Supernaturals, Sorry I should know. Was thinking more for the older i-series posts, joplins etc

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep feel your pain Ben. My Kronolog has joined all the others and started slipping at the top of it's extension.

Oh, but according to CB that's because EVERYONE who has bought one is incapable of installing a cable with 2-3mm play.....

finksta

Likes Dirt
My KS dropzone is still going strong, got it in February and use it multiple times on most rides. It still operates super smooth, no slipping and no play and was a lot cheaper than most other dropper posts.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sent an email off to Crank Brothers expressing my disappointment in the problems the Kronolog was having. I explained that i have been a long suffering CB supporter and had hoped that this would be the pay off for all the pain.

I said that it was a bit rich for CB to blame all the seatposts failing on incorrectly setting the cable tension. Ok, some punters might have installed them with too much tension, but it was a bit hard to swallow that they expect people to believe that no one is capable of installing a cable with 2-3mm slack in the cable?? Obviously there is an issue with the interface that the clamp holds onto. It very quickly is unable to hold the clamp and it drops to the next unworn groove. This will obviously keep going as each new section wears out.

Got an email back from Jet Black promptly advising they will be sending out a new unit, with a cable pre set at the correct tension. Great after sales service, but I'm guessing that unless the original issue is fixed, the same fate will await....

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
Got an email back from Jet Black promptly advising they will be sending out a new unit, with a cable pre set at the correct tension. Great after sales service, but I'm guessing that unless the original issue is fixed, the same fate will await....
I would say its time to cut your losses and sell the replacement before they get the same rep as the Joplin.

Likes Dirt
Because they will be fetching such a good price now......
Because they will actually sell now. Once the rep gets as bad as the joplin you will be lucky to give it away. And from my experiances with the clamping design they are using these are going to be an even bigger failure than the Joplin. This clamping design is not new its just new to the bike scene.

In saying this I just bought a brand new JoplinR but only because it was cheap and im holding out for KS to release the Ibeam Lev. Ive already experiance the joplin failures and was happy to take the chance again at $100 delivered.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
im holding out for KS to release the Ibeam Lev.
might be awhile ... the saddle clamp heads are totally different between the LEV and Supernatural and standard rails just out sell I-beam buy ridiculous amounts that I can't see it happening in 2012 ... see what happens when Eurobike comes around I guess.

Re: price.
Volume is king ... if I was a clever Farker ... I'd be banding my friends together and heading to either Ride On Bikes (Kew) or Blackman Bicycles (Sydney) or SpokeNT (NT), or Performance Cycle Solutions (TAS) or your fav LBS and do a group buy. We reward our dealers that hold stock, and I'm certain they will equally reward their customers.

Might not work with the LEV at this stage as supply is still a bit tight, but Dropzones and Supernaturals are in good supply particularly 30.9mm posts, so use your buying power, which in turns allows the distributor to use their buying power etc etc

Note, if you are looking at an OS site and they are claiming to have 27.2mm LEV, 150/435 LEV or even showing the proto silver saddle clamp and seal collar images @ heavily discounted prices ... I would be very wary. These lines are not available to anybody and they trying to get you to pre-pay. KS to their credit is trying to stamp this out, but the online world is hard to police.

We all know Wiggle is one of the most competitive sites ... so have a look at their pricing on KS and compare your local dealers'

Likes Dirt
Nerf the price on the LEV is not a concern to me but I prefer to run I beams. I find railed seats just bend to easy. And im happy to wait. If this Joplin gives me to much greif then I will prob just bite the bullet and buy the current Lev and then move it over to my wifes bike if and when the Ibeam version is available.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sent an email off to Crank Brothers expressing my disappointment in the problems the Kronolog was having. I explained that i have been a long suffering CB supporter and had hoped that this would be the pay off for all the pain.

but I'm guessing that unless the original issue is fixed, the same fate will await....

Isnt the prob an inherent design fault ?

Time to get a KS post, hey?

Im a long suffering CB sufferer too, just with pedals !

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Isnt the prob an inherent design fault ?

Time to get a KS post, hey?

Im a long suffering CB sufferer too, just with pedals !
Seems to be a design problem where the grooves wear and the clamp is unable to hang onto them. Slips to the next unworn groove. Was hoping they may have a fix after all of them have come back.

Was pretty sure you were moaning about how shit the KS was not so long ago, saying it had been replaced a few times and had died again for the last time???

Must have been mistaken...:pirate:

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought the post had issues ,it was raising slightly if lifted by the seat, and I thought it was a warranty issue...but its not.. I shouldnt have sent it away in the first place !!

Its still working flawlessly.....

Andrey

Squid
Original Specialized Command Post - reliable after more than 1 years solid use.

I have been using the original Specialized Command Post with 100mm drop for over 1 year. The original remote lever was rubbish & I replaced it with a Joplin remote lever.

I am very happy with the post, & would recommend it to anyone.

I use the post mainly in the top & fully down positions. I am finding that I use the middle cruise position less & less. The bike corners much better in the fully down position - even on mild descents.