Adelaide to Sydney trip in August

MTBcrash

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,
My son is doing a training course in Sydney mid August and we are thinking about doing a MTB trip on the way up rather than flying.

We are currently looking at a few places to stop on the drive up which is mentioned below.
Also looking for nearby accommodation, or free camp spots (Traveling in a small van)
Anyone have any ideas on duration at these places and if some are even worth it? Especially in the middle of winter...

We would be looking at these places in this sort of order (Selected by my son):
* Wangarratta - Warby Ranges
* Beechworth - Beechworth MTB Park
* Yackananah - Indigo Epic trails
* Wodonga - McDonald Hill
* Albury - Nail Can Hill
* Wagga Wagga - Mount Moorang/Pomingalarna Mountain Bike Park
* Canberra - Cotter Pines
- Stromlo
- Mount Majura
* Queanbeyan - Jerrabomberra Mountain Reserve
* Kowen - Kowen Forest MTB Park

* Arrive in Sydney around 14th August - Hoping to at least ride Bare Creek Bike Park (Any others around Sydney?)

We will be staying around Mt Druitt/Rooty Hill for my sons course.
Is there any trails around here with in a 30 minute drive for me while he is doing his course?

1687084725927.png

Thanks in advance.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
For the Canberra part you can camp at Cotter river which is quite nice, though not near food or pub options, it is near (short drive) Cotter and Stromlo trails.

Bare Creek is not near Mt Druitt, but if you make the trip you have OMV in Hornsby, H20 in Westleigh, Narrabeen (just down the road from Bare Creek), Manly Dam (nearish to Bare Creek) and a secret track in Forestville (well it was there when we built it 40 years ago for BMX-ing)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I have nothing to offer other than to say Bare Creek is hewge! Mt Narrabeen nearby is pretty epic as well.

Mount Druitt is pretty close to Wylde, which is a sweet little xc loop. Yellomundee Regional Park is where WSMTB races and should have some trails on Trailforks.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

notime

Likes Dirt
No shortage of DH/Enduro/XC in the lower mountains, 20 minute drive, probably need a guide to find it all, on heatmaps though. Knapsack is the only official trail, XC and DH track the rest is created with love not laws.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
There are some good camp spots on the shore of Lake Hume not far out of Wodonga which would be a convenient stopping point if you do Yack one day then McDonald and/or Nail Can the next.

I'm not sure if they're officially free, but I lobbed in a few years back, in the peak of summer, easily found a spot & didn't get told to pay, so I didn't. :cool: You should have no problems this time of year.