AAMI Survey: "Drivers find cyclists are a road hazard"

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...a-hazard-survey/2008/02/26/1203788289893.html

"Drivers find cyclists a hazard: survey

February 26, 2008 - 9:03AM

More than 60 per cent of Victorian motorists find cyclists are a road hazard, according to research carried out by insurer AAMI.

AAMI says its research shows almost half -- 47 per cent -- of Victorian car drivers have had a close call with a cyclist.

AAMI public affairs manager Geoff Hughes says bicycle sales have risen sharply in recent years as people look for ways to beat traffic and rising fuel prices, and to reduce their personal impact on the environment.

"The fact that 64 per cent of Victorian drivers surveyed find cyclists to be a road hazard shows some drivers still have much to learn about sharing the road," Mr Hughes said.

He said 82 per cent of Victorian motorists think roads are dangerous for cyclists and 61 per cent think they can do more to make roads safer for cyclists.

"The challenge for drivers is to convert this awareness into meaningful action to help make the roads safer for cyclists," Mr Hughes said.

"Drivers need to exercise patience and give cyclists appropriate clearance when passing them, and look out for them before opening car doors, when turning, and when entering roundabouts and intersections."

Mr Hughes said it was a concern that 88 per cent of Victorian drivers surveyed have seen cyclists riding dangerously and breaking the law.

"Like car drivers, cyclists are not above the law and are required to obey all road rules, like stopping at red lights, giving way to pedestrians, and wearing a helmet," he said.

AAP"

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's funny, I've always found car drivers a cycling hazard.
funny cos' it's true.

"Mr Hughes said it was a concern that 88 per cent of Victorian drivers surveyed have seen cyclists riding dangerously and breaking the law."

both at the same time? I would say a higher percentage of drivers have seen motorists driving dangerously and breaking the law.

I would also say that with the roads the way they are (ie the drivers on them), simply riding on them is dangerous.....

P.S. At least that means that 88 % of drivers have actually seen cyclists - often the biggest worry is that the drivers don't see you at all!!!

Last edited:

stoff

Likes Dirt
At least it seems as though the insurance company have the right attitude. Lessening the number of collisions between cars and cyclists is in their interest. Maybe they can help with educating drivers on sharing the road with cyclists.

mshagg

Likes Bikes
I see people doing idiotic things in cars when im riding.

I see people doing idiotic things on bikes when im driving.

Maybe 47% of people are just idiots?

ikon

Likes Dirt
i would say that not a day goes by that i don't see some one driving and talking on a mobile phone (not hands free), at least half of these are P platers. there are only 30K people in the surrounding area where i live so it's not like i'm talking parramatta road.

but how strict are you going to be on what is breaking the law, where i live there are a number of light poles in the middle of intersections. you can tell the locals from the visitors, the visitors think they are round-a-bouts, despite road markings to the contrary.

in low traffic situations, cyclists seem more willing to 'bend' the rules of the road, i'm not saying that this is not dangerous but that both as a cyclist and some one doing something slightly out of the ordinary you are going to stand out a lot more than the average joe motorist.

in the end most people have been in situations where their interpretation of the law has been liberal at best, with a small minority using flagrant disregard at worst.

Macr

Likes Dirt
This is how it should read
MORE than 99.9 per cent of Victorian cyclists find motorists are a road hazard, according to research carried out by insurer AAMI.

AAMI says its research shows almost half - 47 per cent - of Victorian car drivers have had a close call with a cyclist.

AAMI public affairs manager Geoff Hughes says bicycle sales have risen sharply in recent years as people look for ways to beat traffic and rising fuel prices, and to reduce their personal impact on the environment.

"The fact that 100 per cent of Victorian cyclists surveyed find drivers to be a road hazard shows some drivers still have much to learn about sharing the road,'' Mr Hughes said.

He said 100 per cent of Victorian cyclists think roads are dangerous for cyclists and 100 per cent think they can do more to make roads safer for cyclists.

"The challenge for drivers is to convert this awareness into meaningful action to help make the roads safer for cyclists,'' Mr Hughes said.

"Drivers need to exercise patience and give cyclists appropriate clearance when passing them, and look out for them before opening car doors, when turning, and when entering roundabouts and intersections.''

Mr Hughes said it was a concern that 100 per cent of Victorian cyclists surveyed have seen drivers driving dangerously and breaking the law.

"Like car drivers, cyclists are not above the law and are required to obey all road rules, like stopping at red lights, giving way to pedestrians, and wearing a helmet,'' he said.

axertes

Likes Dirt
100% of cyclists have seen motorists drive dangerously and break the law.
Good point: it's a misleading statistic. When I first looked at that statistic I though "shit, that's a lot of crap cyclists". But realistically, 100% of motorists have seen motorists drive dangerously and break the law. The fact that even I - a non-motorist cyclist - had to read that twice and think about it reveals ingrained attitudes vs. cyclists.

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
Mr Hughes said it was a concern that 88 per cent of Victorian drivers surveyed have seen cyclists riding dangerously and breaking the law.
would an average driver who doesnt know any cyclists and hasnt ridden in traffic know what is 'dangerous' for a cyclist?

a motorist who sees a cyclist cutting lanes of traffic may think its very dangerous and that the cyclist should be sitting in the shared bike/pedestrian lane, whereas any cyclist would know that the shared path is probably more dangerous than the road because pedestrians are so unpredictable compared to cars.

nizai

Likes Dirt
Statistics can prove anything, Eleventeen percent of people know that.

How many cyclists have seen cyclists break the law? And wish they weren't giving all of us a bad name?

Thats the thing, there's idiots in both groups of road users. I see more courtesy from drivers than bad driving. Its just the bad driving that you tend to remember because it almost killed you.

N

Stubags

Likes Bikes
I'm a swerve rider

How many cyclists have seen cyclists break the law? And wish they weren't giving all of us a bad name? N

If I obeyed the road rules on my daily commute I would be dead.

Simple as that.

I can't accelerate at the same pace as motorised road users and I don't have the same presence on the road either. I can't rely on the soccer mums with a car full of screaming kids to check carefully before pulling out.

My road riding closely resembles my off-road riding in that I ride to the conditions. If I don't like the look/feel of something I take preventative measures. That might mean hoping a gutter onto the sidewalk after veering across the road. I don't cut anybody off or run lights or go out of my way to piss other road users off but on occasion I have.

I dont care.

As far as I'm concerned I'd rather break the law than end up as road kill.

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well on the way home form school today the guy parked IN THE BIKE LANE(you can get fined for driving in the bike lane apparently) didnt see me and pulled out when i was next to him, so he got a nice big pin stripe on his car from my handle bars. It just shows that 47% of drivers are ignorant to cyclists.

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
I think most motorists think cyclists are danerous because thay have no idea how to neogoiate them on the road. So they see us as putting them in harms way.

If I obeyed the road rules on my daily commute I would be dead.

Simple as that.

I can't accelerate at the same pace as motorised road users and I don't have the same presence on the road either. I can't rely on the soccer mums with a car full of screaming kids to check carefully before pulling out.

My road riding closely resembles my off-road riding in that I ride to the conditions. If I don't like the look/feel of something I take preventative measures. That might mean hoping a gutter onto the sidewalk after veering across the road. I don't cut anybody off or run lights or go out of my way to piss other road users off but on occasion I have.

I dont care.

As far as I'm concerned I'd rather break the law than end up as road kill.
Exactly the way I have commuted for years. I think of myself as invisible and do what I need to do to stay alive.

The worst thing in recent years is mobile phones. Seriously these cursed things have made traffic 10 times more dangerous for cyclists. The worst offenders are young females texting/calling their friends while crawling along in peak hour traffic. Wandering all over the road, in and out of the gutter and bike lanes.

beatlloydy

Likes Bikes
I have to agree with the last statement. Ride defensively and think that you are invisible to the car. Here are more of my thoughts....Take up a whole lane if more than 1 lane. Bugger them if they get pissed off with you. Cyclists have rights as well. If they choose to argue ask them to meet you at the nearest Police station...but dont expect ANY help from the police as they dont give a shit either.

Basically you are on your own as a commuter...but it makes you feel like you are doing something positive for the environment...besides the tide is starting to turn...perservere...try not to get into arguments...just ignore the idiots in their tin tops who are aggressive to you..they are mostly obese slobs who are leading loser lives and need to vent on someone. (or WANKER tradesmen as opposed to friendly tradesmen).....better still...if you can concentrate..wear an IPOD so you dont react as easy to horn blasts and abuse.

The above has helped me survive over 20 years of commuting without too many problems. It may not be text book BNSW stuff but then again I dont think that being a meek pussy in traffic will give you a long life. You have to ride aggressively but defensively...I dont jump red lights as this pisses motorists off. If there are less than 5 cars in front of me I dont ride up the front but if there are 20 or so I will definitely use my LEGAL right to ride up to the front.

Ride a MTB with slicks so you can jump the gutters and get out of the way if things get too hard or busy. However, dont be afraid to defend your democratic right to a lane, even in peak hour....Motorists THINK we hold up traffic but my peak hour commute by bike takes almost the same over 60 km as driving. Ignore dickhead comments like that Evans bloke from NRMA...he is a fat slob whose lifestyle is costing us more than $3 billion per year from obese lifestyle choice....roll on consumer pays for everything and we will then see the true cost of cycling v cars etc.