A simple steel 29er, off the shelf... does it exist?

floody

Wheel size expert
I would like to build a really simple basher bike, a 29er would be ideal.

Ideal world build would be...

29" wheels, mountain tyres (2.25-2.4 tyre clearance would be nice)
Chromoly frame/rigid fork (no need for suspension correction)
1-1/8" straight steerer, external cups would be nice.
English BB.
Maybe some rack mounts.
Gears and 135 spacing, preferably no sliding dropouts or any of that creak prone, complication creating malarky.
Kinda like it to have rim brakes.

I'm visualising something similar to an All-City JYD but with gears. Could do it in my sleep with a 26" bike but would like to do it with big wheels.

Any ideas for something off the shelf ? I'm not balleur enough for a custom bike.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Tricky. Voodoo Wanga comes to mind but has slider dropouts. On One or Cotic might be able to help. Surly Pugsley? There's a used one available here somewhere and that'll have most of what you want.

floody

Wheel size expert
Didn't think of On-One, they probably still do an inbred that fits the bill.

I'm allergic to seat tube braces, so Surly is out, though otherwise the Karate Monkey isn't too bad.

cammas

Seamstress
What about a swinger?

The Salsa El Mariachi with swinger system on the rear is simple and easy to use as well as quiet, the SS version comes with a steel rigid fork. I have ridden mine in all sorts of conditions and not a peep, Salsa have swingers available with rack mounts. It is a very versatile frame and can be ran geared as well if you are that way inclined.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Voodoo and on one used to do a bike that had all of what you listed including rim brakes. But both are discontinued.

Surly ogre does everything listed and also has the benefit of being fucking useful/nice bike. Bit pricey though..

I can think of a few steel road frames that take up to 45c tires.. If you can compromise there....

floody

Wheel size expert
Was there ever a 29er equivalent of the old Jamis Dragon frames? I mean that would be perfect, simple straight tubes, fixed hooded dropouts, just basic.

floody

Wheel size expert
All good suggestions, nothing quite there but we're getting closer!

I find myself suddenly with a quantity of ex-29er driveline and cockpit parts, and a shabby but quality and serviceable old steel 26" rigid MTB so in the very short term I am cobbling together some wheels, shooting some suitable powdercoat on and using that. Hope to build an equivalent with big wheels when the right frame appears in the market though.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you aren't shy on building, a sir9 might fit the bill. Picked up mine a few weeks back for 350, doesn't have rim brake mounts though.
Pipedream in the UK might have what you are looking for too

Last edited: