A Metre Matters disapointment in QLD

pyrop

Likes Bikes
I just got a response regarding a QLD parlimentary petition I signed in support of making the one metre minimum a rule rather than a recommendation.

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/EPetitions_qld/Responses/1407%20&%201504.pdf
I refer to petition numbers 1407-10 and 1504-10 lodged with the Legislative Assembly by
Mrs Julie Attwood MP on 4 August 2010, about the minimum safe passing distance between
cyclists and motorists.

In 1999 Queensland adopted the Australian Road Rides (ARR) into state legislation. This means
that the road rules in all jurisdictions of Australia, including rules about the distance between
cyclists and vehicles, are essentially uniform. The road traffic authorities in each state or territory
must agree to any significant changes to the ARR in order to preserve that uniformity. Once the
ARR have been amended, these changes are then incorporated in the legislation of each state and
territory. In the case of Queensland, this is the Queensland Road Rules (QRR).
The Department of Transport and Main Roads advises that leaving a minimum of one metre
clearance when passing a bicycle is a recommendation, not a rule. The QRR currently provide
that a driver must not overtake a vehicle unless the driver can do so safely and that an overtaking
driver must leave sufficient distance from another vehicle, including a bicycle, to avoid a
collision.
The Bligh Government is passionately committed to getting more people cycling, We actively
promote cycle safety through the Share the Road campaign and last year spend $100m
constructing bike paths around the state.
The introduction of a specific rule to restrict vehicles to keeping one metre from cyclists would
be, in many cases, detrimental to cyclists. The safe distance between a cyclist and a vehicle varies
considerably depending on the speed the vehicles are travelling. For example, where a vehicle is
travelling at 100km/h a distance of one metre is dangerously close, but at very low speeds
distances of less than one meter may be safe.

To provide a law making a one metre distance mandatory would make it illegal for cyclists to move slowly and closely past queued vehicles.
This is not a desired outcome for cyclists.

As such, it is the department's desire to maintain consistency with the nationally agreed ARR. I am further advised that the department has no plans to amend the QRR to prescribe a specific minimum clearance for a motor vehicle passing a bicycle at this time.

If you require further information, please call Mr John Burrill, Senior Advisor (Transport Policy) in Road Safety System Management Division, on telephone 3253 4505. Mr Burrill will be
pleased to assist.

Yours sincerely
RACHEL NOLAN MP
Minister for Transport
Pretty poor excuses if you ask me...

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
I agree with pyrop and my "diplomatic" explanation without resorting to harsh language is that economics dictate a stronger reason as to why politicians resort to slower "more moderate" responses...

I suggest dedicated bike lanes 8 meters in width in one direction (with lights :D ) .

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)
Everyone could stick a metre ruler on the side of their car to make sure they're far enough away.

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1m isn't much to ask for, you think they could have made it a rule, but a reccomendation. Thats just lazy

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's not about the policing, it's about people's rights if there is an incident of some sort. It is a bit of a shame, but probably unsurprising in this country.

floody

Wheel size expert
It's not about the policing, it's about people's rights if there is an incident of some sort.
How?
If someone hits a cyclist, then clearly they weren't
"[leaving] sufficient distance from another vehicle, including a bicycle, to avoid a collision."
as already provided by the legislation. In fact I would suggest this provides a considerably broader base for pro-cyclist interpretation than the one metre stipulation would.

RigidMount

Likes Bikes
Poor form...

BS about the law restricting cyclists to pass vehicles, you write the law "when passing cyclists" thus when a cyclist passes its not applied - simple.

Issue with "safe distance" is that its ambiguous, & the cops are just lazy & dont bother enforcing it & say "nah, thats safe".. i.e.
[video=youtube;Wxt8TraEJP4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxt8TraEJP4[/video]
I guess 6inches @ 45km/h is "safe"

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
I would be insupport of something along these lines for when cars overtake me, though it would be hypocritical to ask for something like that and then undertake cars with alot less than 1m clerance.

I think a general education plan would work just as well. Top marks go to the Amy Gillett Foundation for their efforts

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rigid Mount, what a surprise, a tradie cut you off. At least he had a good reason - to speed up to a red ight and then change lanes again to go left at the green arrow - that's pretty good compared to a lot of em.

I tend to agree that a rule for cars would give cyclists an in-principle advantage in court if they were hit (similar to parts of Europe) and where does it say that a rule for cars must be applied to cycles (pedestrians or other road users)? It is a bit lame, but we can't be getting upset about the government trying to make life consistent and easier (for themselves)

Hi guys.
Im the bloke responsible for the Minimum Safe Passing Distance petition here in Qld. I was googling tyhe Ministers reply and stumbled across this thread so I thought Id tell you why I think the reply sucks so badly for us.
As the result of this (IMO) worrying response from the government, this petition is set to go federal within the next two days.
The fact that the state government, and by consensus all state and territory governments in Australia, alledges that it is safe for us to pass within the space of an open car door, or that a car may follow a cyclist within one metre, let alone overtake within one metre on our right at less than open road speeds, shows how poorly protected we are from other road traffic by law. While I do share their opinion that at open road speeds, one metre may be inadequate, we were asking for a MINIMUM safe passing distance to be made enforcable. Logic dictates that exactly one metre would be difficult to police, but to have no minimum requirement is more difficult to swallow.

"The introduction of a specific rule to restrict vehicles to keeping one metre from cyclists would
be, in many cases, detrimental to cyclists. The safe distance between a cyclist and a vehicle varies
considerably depending on the speed the vehicles are travelling. For example, where a vehicle is
travelling at 100km/h a distance of one metre is dangerously close, but at very low speeds
distances of less than one meter may be safe. To provide a law making a one metre distance
mandatory would make it illegal for cyclists to move slowly and closely past queued vehicles.
This is not a desired outcome for cyclists."

As the Queensland government is unprepared to lead the way here, I will call for for this proposed change to be applied to the Australian Road Rules instead.
Keep an eye/ear out for the petition as it becomes available for signing. I think at least 50,000+ signatures in six months is well within reach
Remember people, their aim isn't to facilitate the accomodation of cyclists on our tax payer funded roads. Their aim is to get us off them all together. They have last week announced a vote grabbing 30 year plan to build more bikepaths in QLD. How many of us will end up in hospital or worse in the next three decades before things change?

"The Bligh Government is passionately committed to getting more people cycling, We actively
promote cycle safety through the Share the Road campaign and last year spend $100m
constructing bike paths around the state."

I will also be taking more action at a federal level shortly to push for the introduction of new laws similar to EU countries where drivers are able to be held more clearly accountable in the event of collisions with cyclists.

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/E ... 201504.pdf

From a similar thread on ACN...

KenGS wrote:
Maybe instead of asking for a 1m passing law you should petition for some form of Strict Liability law for accidents causing injury, according to the vulnerability of the injured party. So, for instance, in a collision between a car and cyclist or pedestrian causing an injury to the cyclist/ped, by default the driver loses demerit points and is fined irrespective of any negligence on their part. To get out of it they would have to prove in court that the cyclist/ped was at fault.
Something along those lines would help ensure drivers keep their distance.
By the same token, a collision between a cyclist and pedestrian would put the cyclist in the equivalent position to the driver."

This is the next course of action that I was alluding to, however I haven't discounted the possibility of pursuing this on its own as like yourself, I think it will 'encourage' motorists to give us the distance we need that the Transport Minister thinks we don't.
The Womble

Private messageWebsite

I just read through the state governments Share The Road campaign which they seem to feel has been adequate to date. Bare in mind that this has been the only campaign run since 2000 and highlights not only the statistics and issues we face to an even greater extent 10 years later, but is an admission that they are aware that there needs to be more done to protect cyclists than a TV ad

Share the road public education campaign overview:

Queensland Transport has run a variety of public education campaigns that aim to raise awareness of issues affecting safe cycling.
The ‘Share the road’ campaign aimed to teach motorists and cyclists how to share the road safely. This campaign is one action stemming from the State Government's commitment to increase Queensland cycling rates from the current 2 per cent of all trips to 8 per cent by 2011. This was the first major Queensland Transport campaign to focus on improving relations between cyclists and motorists.

Community attitudes and awareness

Safety is a prime concern for existing and potential cyclists. Australian and international research indicates that improvements in safety have the potential to encourage non-cyclists to ride and to increase current cyclists' number of cycling trips. Recent Queensland Transport research found an unsafe riding environment was one of the top four reasons why cyclists had stopped riding. The other top reasons for ceasing to ride a bike were obtaining a driver licence (30 per cent), obtaining a car (22 per cent) and loss of interest in riding (11 per cent).
Queensland Transport market research provided specific data about driver interaction with cyclists. The market research found 20 per cent of motorists surveyed admitted to failing to move over for cyclists, with males aged under 30 years the least likely to move over. In Wave 3 research conducted in September 1998, 21 per cent of motorists said they would not move over for a cyclist if there was lots of traffic in the next lane prohibiting them from moving over. A further 15 per cent of motorists would fail to move over if the road wasn’t wide enough.
Queensland Transport’s SafeST research in July 1999 also surveyed motorists’ attitudes towards cyclists. The survey found one in five motorists did not regard cyclists as legitimate road users. People residing in regional Queensland (82 per cent) were more likely than residents in south-east Queensland (67 per cent) to feel that cyclists have a legitimate right to be on the road. Also, men (43 per cent) were more likely than women (21 per cent) to regard cycling as a legitimate means of transport.
Motorists who do not regard cyclists as legitimate road users (19 per cent) believed that:
It was too dangerous for cyclists to ride on the road (54 per cent).
The road isn’t wide enough (24 per cent).
Cyclists cause traffic congestion (16 per cent).
Share the road public education campaign 1
One in five motorists admitted to not always making room for cyclists on the road and one in four motorists admitted to never checking for cyclists before opening the car door.
The same research also surveyed cyclists’ perceptions of motorists. The survey found that only one third of cyclists (33 per cent) believed motorists always allowed room for them on the road. Around 46 per cent of cyclists believed motorists sometimes allowed room for them on the road and 22 per cent (over one in five) believed it rarely or never occurred.
The 22 per cent of cyclists who felt they were rarely or never allowed room on the road by motorists stated the main problems as:

Motorists failed to give way.
Motorists did not allow sufficient room when overtaking.
Motorists drove to close cyclists.

...etc etc etc
The Womble

Private messageWebsite

These are survey results from the QLD government from 10! years ago which lead to their ONLY cycling saftey campaign in the last decade.
Things have only gotten worse since then, and they use this as the basis for their reply?!
The AGF is looking into the response as well, and hopefully there will be a couple of radio interviews shortly

Sorry for the long winded reply, but Im interested on more of your views here guys and girls:)

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How?
If someone hits a cyclist, then clearly they weren't

as already provided by the legislation. In fact I would suggest this provides a considerably broader base for pro-cyclist interpretation than the one metre stipulation would.
But that's exactly what I mean, if you get hit at least you could claim they were too close and you'd legally have a leg to stand on.

Policing it would be a huge and probably quite futile undertaking.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keep the pressure on. The Qld gov has wasted decades and endless money encouraging the growth of the state's population, but failing to improve infrastructure or quality of life. They come up with arbitrary targets to increase physical activity and cycling, but seems like the money allocated to those tasks gets munched by wages of the people involved and we never hear of any outcome. It is a crap government with a record of inaction - bypass to federal while they are still "run" by the same party.

Safe roads seems to be a public issue as long as it is for car drivers. It is our turn to be safer.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Is there a minimum distance written somewhere that two cars need to keep from each other? From memory, the writing is something like "a safe distance". That safe distance is totally up to the dude steering the car or truck or bike or horse cart. I wouldn't pass a cyclist on a blind corner simply because I want to avoid a head on, not because I want the cyclist to feel safe. If people care first and foremost about what they do in their car then everything around them should be fine.
In all honesty, I think it should be illegal for cyclists to use some roads in certain areas. How many times have you driven past a cyclist or even been riding in a spot which is dodgey and thought "Dickhead...........". I know I have!
Cycling on some roadways is like Greenies trying to ram whaling boats; maybe you just shouldn't bother.;)

While I agree there are a few tools that spoil it for the rest of us, we still need at least some legislated measure of safety that at this point none of us have. All states currently suse the Australian Road rules as a basis for their laws, and it seems that the Qld government lacks the balls to modify or change them, and IMO the other states would share a similar view.
Because of this, i hope to start a federal campaign for both the 1metre rule AND The introduction of a Strict Liability law as used to great effect in EU countries

floody

Wheel size expert
While I agree there are a few tools that spoil it for the rest of us, we still need at least some legislated measure of safety that at this point none of us have.
As noted by Dozer, I don't run panel to panel with other cars when I drive, there is no 'legislated measure of safety' that ensures this, its simply commonsense.

Is your intention to get this changed merely for symbolism? Because it makes no legal difference apart from removing discretion in policing.

As noted by Dozer, I don't run panel to panel with other cars when I drive, there is no 'legislated measure of safety' that ensures this, its simply commonsense.

Is your intention to get this changed merely for symbolism? Because it makes no legal difference apart from removing discretion in policing.
Absolutely not. Its also worth noting that there are substantial 3ft(1m) campaigns running through many states in the US and also in the UK, and California is very possibly going to lead the way shortly by introducing this rule into law. We'll see how that goes if and when it goes into effect.
As I mentioned previously, the introduction of a Strict Liability law would serve to ensure further enforcement of the 1m rule.
All alws are broken every day by those that choose to ignore them, but thats no reason not to introduce them:p

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Womble, Over the last 10 years I have come to hate laws and over-governance, but you are correct in as much as sensible laws ensure - well, common sense. The ability to protect a harmless, functional, profitable, integrated and average group of Australians is a no-brainer. Like it or not, lawyers and courts can rule your future. This is not about business for us. A cyclist may be able to kill a driver, but it'd be pretty fucking hard without a gun. BUT they do kill us. Some mean to. Less will join either group when a law says they should respect our indefensible space.

Womble, you can win this one at a federal level, as the political time is right for Aussie citizens to ask for help from our government in positive, cost efficient ways. One gust of wind, one change in position of any vehicle or one pothole...... Having a 1m buffer in law does no more harm than any current law. It just means there are consequences for offenders and an immediate legal advantage to the cyclist. Not before time and in no time would be accepted, just like 40k/h school zones:p.

When you win, Womble, please would you consider influencing the ad campaign (a necessary part of the change of law) to include a "next 5 seconds" message, for those who are in too much of a hurry to obey roundabout, parking or other non-1m situations that could end a life? If your next 5 seconds could maim or kill, how would you feel. I know how it feels from the other side. Better get a drink viewers...

When I was 12, I had a full-size roady 5 speed Malvern Star bike - purple. A few mates and I used to go riding chasing stickers from businesses "far and wide" in our world. Some rides were 20+km. One shorter one was to the local garbage dump; not for trash, but stone. Really nice petrified wood that we cut etc...

Coming back from the dump one weekend a car ran me off the road into the culvert. It wasn't deep, but rocky and eroded and I was probably going 45k/h. I didn't fall, but the vibration made me blur out and the headache did not stop for weeks. The car didn't stop.

Later that year I was out for a solo ride one afternoon and got caught (age 12, no planning) in peak hour traffic. It was all suburbia. On one straight bit the cars were bumper to and there were cars parked in a line up to a convenience store. I was at almost full speed, sandwiched. 1m total gap would have been lucky with wing mirrors and such.

Immediately before the shop a car passed me, pulled into the no standing zone out front of the shop and opened his door. Man I thought I was going to die under the wheels of the passing cars, but I swung around the bike I guess and landed on the gutter. Not good. I couldn't really move much.

The driver got out, walked past the bike and me and into the shop. Bought a pack of smokes loudly and then walked out and looked down at me. "You'll be right", stepped over me and drove away. I was there for a while but no-one came to, or out of the shop so I got back up, made sure the bike was rideable and rode 5ks home with my tail between my legs. Didn't tell the parentos and it took a year for the lumps on my shin to go. The pain took many years.

If I could find the prick that got me at the shop, I would help you nut him for the media campaign Womble. One nut, one rule broken:eek:, 2 nuts..:eek:..oh, so sad driver. Oh , wait, only one is law so far:eek:. Sorry mate, too late:cool: