9spd chain with 10spd chainrings?

driftking

Wheel size expert
I haven't done it myself But I have a feeling because the cluster is the same size on a 10 and 9 speed the spaces are smaller and therefore the 10-speed chains are thinner. I have only read this though so hopefully someone will jump on with a definitive answer.

fletchog

Likes Dirt
I guess the other question would be, will a 10spd chain work in a 9spd rear, cassette and derailuer? I imagine that the actual rear sprockets in a 10 spd might also be a tad thinner than in 9spd.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I guess the other question would be, will a 10spd chain work in a 9spd rear, cassette and derailuer? I imagine that the actual rear sprockets in a 10 spd might also be a tad thinner than in 9spd.
Driftking is correct. Rear sprockets are the same thickness, spacers between are thinner on 10 sp. Hence 10sp chain is also slightly thinner.

Replacement chain rings are often labelled 9/10 sp and you can a 10sp chain ring with a 9sp chain.

As for whether a 10sp chain will work with a 9sp driveline:

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?247985-Lets-talk-chains

Last edited:

fletchog

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, will pop them on and see how it goes otherwise will grab a 10spd chain as per the other thread.

moorey

call me Mia
Along the same theme, tempted to try a 10sp shadow plus Derailleur on my 9sp setup. The way I see it, the shifter is indexed, so I can't see a reason the 10sp wouldn't actually work fine. That said, sometimes my theory and practice are out of kilter. :wacko::wacko:

driftking

Wheel size expert
I'd think the only issue with using a 10 speed chain on a 9 speed is that because its thinner you will probably notice that the chain will start skipping or not changing with smaller changes in tension as the chain has less width to grip to it. Basically will just mean you will notice your gears going out before you would with a 9 speed chain... This is just my own speculation though.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a 10 speed chain (actually 1.5 chains) on my 9 speed cargo bike. The chain/s has done over 5000ks and is at about .8 stretch with zero probllems in performance.
I have also used them for XC racing on a 9 speed with no noticable difference to a 9spd chain.....

redbruce

Eats Squid
Along the same theme, tempted to try a 10sp shadow plus Derailleur on my 9sp setup. The way I see it, the shifter is indexed, so I can't see a reason the 10sp wouldn't actually work fine. That said, sometimes my theory and practice are out of kilter. :wacko::wacko:
10sp Shimano rear derailleurs have a different motion ratio (relationship between cable movement and corresponding derailleur movement) to 9 sp and wont work.

moorey

call me Mia
10sp Shimano rear derailleurs have a different motion ratio (relationship between cable movement and corresponding derailleur movement) to 9 sp and wont work.
Have you (or anyone) actually tried it or are you going on what you've heard/read? Don't get me wrong, you're probably right, but there's a lot of 'incompatible' stuff out there that runs perfectly. Next time i see a cheap 10sp rear, I'll give it a crack.
I can't be arsed going to 10sp across all my bikes yet, but I'd love to see if the shadow + does all it claims to.

disappearin

Likes Dirt
im currently running a 10spd setup with XO 9spd derailleur, XO 10spd shifters and 9spd XT front chain rings with 10spd chain. all functions perfectly.
edit: with 10spd cassette ;)

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
im currently running a 10spd setup with XO 9spd derailleur, XO 10spd shifters and 9spd XT front chain rings with 10spd chain. all fuctions perfectly.
Even I wooda questioned a 9sp derailleur with 10sp shifter!!!
I don't know what to say other than I'm baffled that it could work. Are you only using 9/10 clicks on shifter?

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Have you (or anyone) actually tried it or are you going on what you've heard/read? Don't get me wrong, you're probably right, but there's a lot of 'incompatible' stuff out there that runs perfectly. Next time i see a cheap 10sp rear, I'll give it a crack.
I can't be arsed going to 10sp across all my bikes yet, but I'd love to see if the shadow + does all it claims to.
Good luck. From what I understand though is that Shimano have gone from their old 2:1 actuation ratio to something closer to SRAM's 1:1...but they don't say (or I haven't seen it) precisely what the new ratio is. For that reason you might have trouble. Sometimes though if you can reroute the cable entry into the pinch bolt you can change the working geometry slightly...might help if you have issues.
im currently running a 10spd setup with XO 9spd derailleur, XO 10spd shifters and 9spd XT front chain rings with 10spd chain. all fuctions perfectly.
This makes sense because SRAM rear derailleurs have always been 1:1 actuation. If the actuation ratio remains the same it works because the shifters just pull/throw less cable so the RD movement is less for each shift.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Yes., I should have specified my comment applies only to Shimano ('cause that was what moorey referred to).

SRAM have had 1:1 pull ratio for ever. Shimano have only introduced it with 10sp (all previous 2:1).

So wont work with Shimano!

I assume the spello on "functions" was a mistake rather than a Freudian slip.

EDIT: Whoops, just seen post above.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
How does the 9sp derailleur work with 10sp shifter, regardless of ratios? 1. The shifter is indexed to move a little less on a 10sp, and 2, the problem of more shifts than gears? I'm clearly missing something here if that setup works :bowl::bowl:

redbruce

Eats Squid
How does the 9sp derailleur work with 10sp shifter, regardless of ratios?
1. The shifter is indexed to move a little less on a 10sp, About half of the index increment of a 9sp shifter

and 2, the problem of more shifts than gears? If it moved the same amount as 9 sp then you could just lock out one of them and it would work. Thats how we could run 8sp shifters on 7 sp cassettes back in the day.

I'm clearly missing something here if that setup works :bowl::bowl:
That setup does not work for Shimano gear. Google it, there is plenty of evidence on the web.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Ok, I'm still missing the point I guess, because you have one more click than sprockets, and each sprocket is a little closer together. I believe you if you're saying it works, I just still can't get my small brain around a 9sp shifter running smoothly on 10sp derailleur and 9 sp cassette without it shifting a little too much each time, regardless off pull ratios.

Edit. Reading back, you didn't specify if cassette was 9 or 10sp. I was assuming 9sp. If its 10sp, I geddit.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Ok, I'm still missing the point I guess, because you have one more click than sprockets, and each sprocket is a little closer together. I believe you if you're saying it works, I just still can't get my small brain around a 9sp shifter running smoothly on 10sp derailleur and 9 sp cassette without it shifting a little too much each time, regardless off pull ratios.

Edit. Reading back, you didn't specify if cassette was 9 or 10sp. I was assuming 9sp. If its 10sp, I geddit.

Checkout:

http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html

and (scroll down to cassette/freewheel spacing)

http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.shtml

Last edited:

velocidad

Likes Dirt

I learnt the hard way > a M773 rear mech (10sp shadow) can not be used to replace a M772 (9sp shadow) given 9 speed XT shifter and 9 sp cluster. the cable pull ratio is different meaning you can only get around 5 or 6 cog spread, and it rattles and carries on like a bitch. It just does not work.