7' DH forks?

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, I'm currently looking at getting some new DH forks for my 04 ironhorse SGS DH. As the geometry of my bike has been designed around a 7' fork, and is already pritty stack with my 03'boxxer, I am wanting to stick with this length.

Just wondering what options are out there. Also interested in easy mods to reduce the travel on other 8' forks. The two I know of are:

Fox 40RC2 - Look pritty good 06 and after
888 sl ata -appears to be hard to find and mixed performance results

Any help/suggestions appreciated!

Turley

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Maybe try to hunt down some Shivers and some of the current Boxxers come in 6-7 inch lengths. Maybe even a single crown like a 66?

mayo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
try and get a set of dorados
manitou triple clamp verion
travis 180 or 203 mm single or triple clamp version

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Manitou Dorados? (The 180mm version, not the 200mm X-Works)
Sherman Sliders are 7" as well I believe. You may even be able to hunt down some Boxxer Rides but the U-turn makes them a little heavier then standard Boxxers.

Oddjob's suggestion on single crowns is probably on the money as well..you often get more travel out of the Single then with a Triple because of the shorter axel to crown length. Fox 36, Marzocchi 66, anitou Travis Singles and Rock Shox Lyrik/Totem are pretty much the contenders if you go ddwn that path.

dhd

Downhill Direct
Manitou Dorados? (The 180mm version, not the 200mm X-Works)
Sherman Sliders are 7" as well I believe. You may even be able to hunt down some Boxxer Rides but the U-turn makes them a little heavier then standard Boxxers.

Oddjob's suggestion on single crowns is probably on the money as well..you often get more travel out of the Single then with a Triple because of the shorter axel to crown length. Fox 36, Marzocchi 66, anitou Travis Singles and Rock Shox Lyrik/Totem are pretty much the contenders if you go ddwn that path.
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure most single crown 7 inch forks have the same axle to crown measurement as 8 inch triple clamps as they have a beefier crown.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
06 boxxers - 565mm min; Manitou Travis triples(180mm) - 535mm min; 06 to current Marzocchi 66's - 565mm; Marzocchi 888 - the longest, Heaviest C%nt of an unsophisticated fork ever made; Totems - 565mm.

If you want the ultimate in short triples, go the travis's. As a bonus you get a cool damping and a quality fork. What ever you do please don't go Marzocchi. If you like unnecessarily long forks that have 1/2kg of oil in them with a prick of an importer, then by all means.

If you want singles, Totems. Easy.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What ever you do please don't go Marzocchi. If you like unnecessarily long forks that have 1/2kg of oil in them with a prick of an importer, then by all means.
I love it, couldn't have said it better. I own 888s/have dealt with the importer and couldn't agree more.

udi

swiss cheese
Solo air boxxers are relatively easy to reduce travel on equipped with the service manual and a little mechanical know-how. Best option by a long shot. :)

Seriously though, I've seen people running 8" travel boxxers on those bikes with no dramas, once set at lowest crown height they're fine. But like I said if you must reduce travel, the option's there.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for all the suggestions there guys. I'm going to stick with double crown just as that is what I know, and my mates would rag on me if I got a single! I already, occasionally, wear a camel bak....

Solo air ie world cup is out of my price range but thanks for the suggestion anyway. Hearing that the boxxers can be run at 565 minimum axle to crown is quite reassuring though.

Thanks for the suggestions and if anyone else have any suggestions, keep them comming. I'm realy looking for an 06+ model fork.

Cheers

Turley

udi

swiss cheese
Solo air ie world cup is out of my price range but thanks for the suggestion anyway. Hearing that the boxxers can be run at 565 minimum axle to crown is quite reassuring though.
The minimum axle-to-crown is actually 568mm, you should be able to run them safely at 567, but that's about the limit. Anyway set them up with a little extra sag and you'll be fine. IMO the damping technology is ahead of what fox/marzocchi currently offer, making racier setups with more sag and more compression damping quite feasible.