661 wrist wrap - can you wear gloves over em? Has anyone got them?

hosssbosss

Likes Dirt
I've just jumped back on the bike after an extended period off due to a broken scaphoid (wrist), and am thinking about protecting it with a brace of some sort.

I was looking at the 661 Wrist Wrap with the three velcro straps. Does anyone know whether you can still wear gloves over the top of these? If not are there any that you can do so?

NoogiE

Likes Dirt
Yep you can, you put them on over your gloves. I found them to be too restrictive with both plastic plates (top and bottom) installed and it got in the way of my grips. Feels better running only the top plates in my opinion.

The bit that you place over your thumb can get annoying too after a few runs. I've recently bought some wrist wrap pro guards which dont have this part, but im yet to try them out.

hosssbosss

Likes Dirt
I do mostly XC riding. Would you recommend these for extended use? I was also looking at an EVS brace also as an alternative.

hosssbosss

Likes Dirt
Hey thanks for your help Noogie. I've ordered some EVS WB01 braces. They won't be in till Feb dammit, but after doing some research, they look to be pretty good, even compared to the 661 wrist wrap pro. Noice.

norcorulz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
661 w/w

I had one but the material under the thumb wore away leaving the plastic showing after about four weeks of having it!:mad:

Lilley

Likes Dirt
After braking my Scaphoid in 2008 I wore a wrist brace for a little bit after the recovery period. I just had a velcro style brace from a chemist that I wore over the top of my glove. I did feel it gave the wrist some support after weeks on inactivity. Don't know if I needed it but it gave me more confidence and made my wrist feel stronger.

Used it for riding trials and a little DH.

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
I've had my wrist wrap for 2 years now, and I love it. Keeps my wrist from flopping about when I crash, thats for sure. I broke the scaphoid as well, its a bitch to break, cos it takes so long to heal up. The bit between the thumb and forefinger does get anoying, but I found i got used to it. I used to wear them under my gloves, but it depends on the style of glove as to if u can or not.

zids

Likes Dirt
I think i might get one of those 661 wrist straps for sure, i just had my first ride yesterdqay after breaking scaphoid and i just used a chemist brace. Just wondering, how long after the initial injury did you guys get back on the bike? i was riding 5-6 weeks after with the strap on. Is this too soon?

hosssbosss

Likes Dirt
Man I'm just back to work now after stacking my moto on the way home from work. Having said that I did ride my pushy in that time... I prob first got back on within 4-5 wks of getting my first fiberglass cast. Wasn't too easy to ride but hey, better that pissin' up on the couch all day every day!

blakesmtb

Likes Bikes
scaphoid is a bone in your hand so i dont know what just a brace around the wrist would do. talking from experience i havent been on the bike since august with a broken scaphoid.

Barnsy

Likes Dirt
Are you looking for support or protection? For support I'd go looking for medical braces instead, they're much more comfortable (and would probably work better).

aline0807

Likes Bikes
I wish all i had done is break my "scaphoid". I snapped both bones in my arm just above the wrist resulting in 2 fused growth plates which means my arm will never grow in length. when i got back to riding 6 months later i used a Greenace wrist splint that was good but wasnt practical for downhill so i have been using a 661 wrist wrap pro and its great. the plastic supports are more flexible than aluminium strips yet still provide enough support, only thing i find annoying is that i cant wear gloves with it!!!

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've just jumped back on the bike after an extended period off due to a broken scaphoid (wrist), and am thinking about protecting it with a brace of some sort.

I was looking at the 661 Wrist Wrap with the three velcro straps. Does anyone know whether you can still wear gloves over the top of these? If not are there any that you can do so?

i have massive problem with my wrists/ carpel bones mainly from work, im a scaffolder and get them adjusted regularly (also the rest of me- sucks being me) ive found the rigid sports tape you can get from the chemist or some supermarkets (elastoplast brand) works wonders. it doesnt restrict but supports, and reduces things from moving and from hyper extension. could be a worth while look into.

Im using some Dakine snowboarding wrist braces/guards currently. I have found them to be quite comfortable and fit nicely under my gloves, but most importantly, really effective in crash. They are worth a look if you are in the market for wrist protection.

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
to blakesmb, the scaphoid bone is in your wrist, and a wrist brace, namely the 661 wrist brace has a nice wrap that goes around your thumb to support and unload the scaphoid. Mate has one and he wears gloves over them all the time