5th element or manitou 4-way

keldave1

Likes Dirt
Hi guys I was just pondering as to which shock people think suits an orange 222 better, a fith element or manitou 4-way. The reason for asking this is I'm looking at replaceing my 06 comp frame with some thing faster ie: lower BB thats in my price range of $1300 and it looks like I might have to settle for an 02/03 orange 222. There's 2 I'm looking at about the same price with similar extras.

you views and opinions just might turn up some interesting results.:)

RahXavi

Likes Dirt
i think you should go the 5th element :) the 4-way is amazing but it only has rebound and compression if you r talking about the 07 model. The 5th has both as well as preload :) If you were to consider the 6-way i would go that over both! But the 5th elements are built to last!

Ryan

Radministrator
^ Please refrain from giving advice when you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Just to clear a few things up; the 5th has preload as well surprisingly (OMG!!! preload!!!) and is notorious for not being built to last. It has a lot more stiction than a Manitou due to a combination of a difference hardness of rubber used in the shaft seal on the main body and the difference in the anodizing/coating process used on the respective shafts.

It took quite a bit of fettling and tuning to get my 5th working well, but now that it does, I love it, had you asked me a few months ago before I started playing with it I would have categorically said that it sucked but with some tuning and tweaking, you can get one feeling pretty good.

Neither of them are a DHX though and realistically, they're essentially the same internals housed in slightly different packaging.