50 50's

norco racing team

Likes Dirt
Hey all.

Just wondering if anybody could please tell me there opinion on crank brother 50 50 pedals. I am thinking about buying some and I was just wondering if you guys liked them or not. Personally I think they are very sexy!

JoshyC

Likes Dirt

floody

Wheel size expert
Expensive, not very grippy, crap feel, less than reliable, overly complex and stupidly heavy.
My personal opinion is you'd struggle to find a more over rated pedal and I'd rather run $20 moulded pin wellgo DX copies.

Last edited:

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty shit house pedals. At first you think they're awesome, then they just become more and more shit as you own them for longer.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
I've got the 5050xx and they are sweet. Regarding the cages coming loose that is correct IF you don't use lock tight. With lock tight being used there is no problem. Just make sure you use the long pins. Best pedal I've had.

darth rider

Likes Bikes
Got mine from TBSM for about $100, but I wouldn't pay more than that. They are good pedals but yes, get either long pins, or grub screws from a nut & bolt store. I used the original short pins on the back half of the pedal -as it is raised relative to the front half a few mm.
However; if you use long grub screws like I did, you will have to grind down the ones that go on the leading edge, as you can only screw them in so far until they hit the removable plate underneath (on the other side). If you can handle that, they'll be worthwhile... and yes, use locktite people! (give the holes a clean first with metho)
PS yes they are also quite sexy :D

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=56450 (go to page 3)

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Um, I have them on my HT, they look awesome but they are quite terrible. There is like 36 pins a pedal (more cash to replace) and the berings/axle set up it shit. As said above they start of feeling good but get shitter and shitter as you go along.
My advice; dont get them , get Straight Line pedals (got them on my DH) or something else

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Expensive, not very grippy, crap feel, less than reliable, overly complex and stupidly heavy.
My personal opinion is you'd struggle to find a more over rated pedal and I'd rather run $20 moulded pin wellgo DX copies.

Summed it up quite nicely.

I have them on my downhill bike and they are crap. Apparently they have a lot better grip if you buy the longer pins for them but with stock pins they are crap.

I'm probably going to replace them with Soljam's or Straitlines or maybe I'll just buy 5-10's.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently had mine for several months now and i love them (5050x). Although they have holes for 72, they only come stock with 36 pins in, but im going to get some more pins and fill em up. There was a bit of play, but doing up the star nuts fixed that. They work great, they have heaps of grip, and they dont pack up with mud. The have a fairly large surface area and their weight is average but not huge but not exactly a Ti component either.

And yes you do have to use locktite but considering the amount of force on that is applied in that area its understandable.

Lorday

Eats Squid
I agree they do look very sexy, but yoiu may as well get something that works well seeing pedals are grinded, covered by feet and mud and are generally abused most of the time.

m0ntague

Likes Dirt
I bought some 5050x a few months ago for $40, there pretty grippy but one pedal keeps becoming stiff to spin around. One of the nuts inside it tightens it's self up after a while, the stiffness can be fixed by pulling it apart but it comes back after awhile. Also you need to lock tite the pins in otherwise they will fall out after a few rides.
I bought them from America so they were a lot cheaper than they are sold in Australia. However I wouldn't buy them again because of the problems with them.

7point3

Likes Dirt
Mine are perfect!
i lose one of the plates once( didnt use locktite)
since then have had no problems and im running 2 sets 1 on dj and 1 on dh, downhill set has lots more pins in it over the dj which i took alot out.
are fairly expensive but if you can find a cheap set for bout $100 or so its worth it