XC 3T Exploro RaceMax Enough - Snake in the Grass

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Frame - 3T Exploro RaceMax 'Enough' edition.
Handlebars - Ritchey Butano Bars
Stem - Thomson X4 50mm
Headset - 3T stackless
Saddle -
Seatpost - 3T carbon
Brakes - Magura MT4 / Shimano GRX
Cranks - Shimano GRX 800 w/ 38t WolfTooth DropStop Chainring
Chain - Shimano XTR
Pedals - Crank Bros flatties
Rear derailleur - GRX 800 11 speed
Rear shifter - GRX 800 11 speed
Cassette - Shimano Deore XT CS-M8000 Cassette 11-42

Hubs - Hope Pro 2 32h
Rims - Race Face AR RF 24mm Rim Black, 27.5" 32H
Spokes - DT Swiss Champion 1.8
Nipples - DT Swiss
Tyres - WTB B-Line 2.2, tubeless
Total weight - no idea, sub 10kg.

Gerard Vroomen designed this frame to be as slippery as possible but based on my online reading, owners have been complaining about the harsh ride off road, which limits speed. I did have this issue with 29"wheels and 38mm tyres - it was punishing. Have since moved to 27.5" and wide tyres running 25psi; this thing is crazy fast on rough fire roads.

PXL_20230429_224907209 1.png

PXL_20230429_230830159 1.png

Last edited:

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Nice

I have questions though: why flats, and whats going on with your shifter being over the bar tape?

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Flats: I grew up racing DH and I hate being clipped-in. I also don't see the efficiency benefits of being clipped. My preference.

Shifters: illusion! the bar tape is hugging the shifters closely.
Fair enough. Personally I’d be rocking cleats for any drop bar bike as I find them way more efficient, but whatever works for you

And I’m still not convinced on the bar tape…

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
That vid is epic! Exactly the reason I you don't want to be clipped in!
I clip in for gravel but flat for trails. Part of it is about what my knee will and will not tolerate, part of it is about liking to have my foot out when needed or when shitting myself. Given that I commute on the grinder, I do like the extra power I can throw down being clipped.

Pretty wild how short they've made the wheel base on the 3T. Does it not get jittery at speed on the rougher stuff?

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I clip in for gravel but flat for trails. Part of it is about what my knee will and will not tolerate, part of it is about liking to have my foot out when needed or when shitting myself. Given that I commute on the grinder, I do like the extra power I can throw down being clipped.

Pretty wild how short they've made the wheel base on the 3T. Does it not get jittery at speed on the rougher stuff?
Drop bars - I definitely see the benefits of being clipped if you're riding mostly road and transitional smooth gravel. Where I ride, there are rutted-out sandstone sections and to your comment about sticking the leg out like Rossi, that's very important with a short wheelbase like the 3T's. There's one rutted-out steep corner where i always overshoot the turn doing about 30km/h, its so effective to move weight to the turn apex. I wouldn't say (in my experience) the 3T is jittery, but i reckon thats down to the frame being very stable and conforming. And, having more rubber on the trail helps.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Drop bars - I definitely see the benefits of being clipped if you're riding mostly road and transitional smooth gravel. Where I ride, there are rutted-out sandstone sections and to your comment about sticking the leg out like Rossi, that's very important with a short wheelbase like the 3T's. There's one rutted-out steep corner where i always overshoot the turn doing about 30km/h, its so effective to move weight to the turn apex. I wouldn't say (in my experience) the 3T is jittery, but i reckon thats down to the frame being very stable and conforming. And, having more rubber on the trail helps.
It seems to have a decent head angle. My old track bike I learned to ride on was near vertical. If you farted you changed lanes.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
It seems to have a decent head angle. My old track bike I learned to ride on was near vertical. If you farted you changed lanes.
Bang-on about the head angle, I totally forgot to mention that. My dads OG Heckler was like that, scary as.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
That vid is epic! Exactly the reason I you don't want to be clipped in!
Hell yeah.
My shins attest to the fact i owned Crupis bitd...
I ride trails and pump track with flats but have SPD on gravel and Roadie. Never really liked the DX platform SPD style but i s'pose they have improved.
Those flat turn downs are hot. Some serious speed.