3m clear

THE Manik Man

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

Recently pick up my new steed and i am thinking of wrapping it in some 3m clear in the areas most prone to scratches. Im not new to the downhill seen but to progress from where im at, i think ill be eating it a few times hence this is why im looking at this option. Any one got any thoughts, tips or experiences with using this sort of stuff

Cheers

tompeeping

Likes Dirt
3m Tape

I have used the 3m clear tape in the past on the frames of my kids motocross bikes.I usually put it on their frames at the start of the race season to protect the scuffing from boots.
I have found that it is easy to apply lasts nearly all season and when peeled off at the end of the season ,all looks good.
Definately worth using if you want to preserve something for re sale.
Hope this helps.

Icarus

Likes Dirt
I used a thick plastic stuff I picked up from Super Cheap Auto. I covered the down tube, the top tube, the BB area and some of the head tube of my DH bike.
Seems to be sticking pretty well so far after about 8 months use. Theres a little dirt around the edges though. Its certainly a great idea, even for aesthetic reasons rather than resale value. Its certainly saved a lot of damage.
Its pretty simple to apply, but don't rush it!
Looking back, I should have bought more and covered the swingarm bits too.

Viv92

Eats Squid
Also areas susceptible to cable rub are good to cover. You'll lose the paint if you don't.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My frame cracked before the paint wore off :(

You can get it from for the riders.

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
Sounds like a good idea...
I know people who have run it over most of their frame...
Its good stuff for stopping scratches... For cable rub there are also carbon patches you can get, theres some weird way of applying them =]

Sov

Likes Dirt
My current frames are covered in the stuff - downtube, top tube, rear swingarm... I crash a lot and it holds up well. Key places are under the head tube / down tube junction to stop your paint from getting scratched by racks when shuttling, as well as in areas prone to cable rub.

The best thing to do before applying is to heat it up with a hairdryer after cutting to shape as it can be stretched around curves much easier.