3 rings needed?

alexb618

Likes Dirt
maybe its just my style but i dont often use the large ring and if i need to use the granny then its probably faster (and more stable!) to get off and leg it

and now since riding my roadie a lot more i have noticed i am 99% of the time in the small (44 i think) ring on that one

so i am considering turfing the big and small rings off the dirt bike - anyone here done this? i am sure i can get a significant weight reduction (over 500g perhaps?) with the right crankset/bb/ring combination but not sure if i worth it

i am not the fittest guy and i only race occasionally but i love toys and bling and if this can get me on the way to sub 9kg, (currently around 9.7kg) i will be happy!

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
so i am considering turfing the big and small rings off the dirt bike - anyone here done this?
Yup, lots of people - OK a few. 1 x 9s & 2 x 9s arent too unusual.

While you at it you probable should get rid of the surplace 8 cogs on the back and that stick catcher that hangs off the back wheel :D

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
so i am considering turfing the big and small rings off the dirt bike - anyone here done this? i am sure i can get a significant weight reduction (over 500g perhaps?) with the right crankset/bb/ring combination but not sure if i worth it
Its a good idea, I almost exclusively use my middle ring these days, on my geared bikes. But don't you still need either a front derailleur or chainguide to stop you dropping the chain all the time?

alexb618

Likes Dirt
possibly, would be a nice weight reduction again with no derailleur/shifter too. wonder if anyone on here has done this and knows the answer?

anthonyma

Likes Dirt
I took off the large ring on my trail bike some time ago, as I never really used it, and I wanted the extra clearance. However, without the large ring the chain had a tendency to jump off when shifting from granny to middle ring. I ended up putting a lightweight poly bashguard in it's place to stop the chain jumping.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Yup, last year I dumped the 3 rings off my Yeti ARC and ran a single 32 up front for a while.

In fact, in the time I had the ARC, I have run the following:

SS 32:14 1/8 chain
SS 32:16 9sp chain

3S 22/32/44:13
3S 22/32/44:18

9S 32:12-23
9S 32:12-28 (frankenstein cludge of some road cass and some 11-34 cass)
9S 32:11-34

Plus 27 speed with 11-32, 11-34, 12-23, 12-28.

Running the 9 speed setup I used a Rohloff chainguide instead of the front mech. All alloy and a lot lighter. I'm lucky that I have Middleburn RS8 cranks with a removeable spider, it means I can dump the three ring setup and just throw on an Uno 32 tooth middle ring with a substantial weigh loss because the spider goes too.

Depends a lot on the terrain you're riding. Some of the top riders who race the 24 hour in Canberra run 29:44 up front. I'd want to be fitter than I am to try that course with just a 32 up there, but of course, if guys can do it on a steel singlespeed running 32:18 or 32:16 then it's gotta be do-able by mortals, maybe just not by guys with my knees.

Now I've switched to the AS-R instead of the ARC, I don't know if the hills will be easier or tougher. I'll want to do a lot more laps out there before I'm confident to dump the triple ring and go the 32 again.

Fidsey

Likes Dirt
Dude, Singlespeed is good......

If you're going down that route, may as well go all the way. ;)

"Don't do things by halves" My old man used to say.