2x10 on a 29er 38/26T - not low enough?

steve-waters

Likes Dirt
Hi,

I was about to stump-up for a XT group set with a double crank when I read on another forum that the 26T with a 34 or even 36 is not quiet low enough for a 29er due to larger wheels.

Anyone here running a 2x10 on their 29er - any merit to this statement that 26T not small enough?

I like the idea of the double and get that you are not losing too much in gearing but I am only coming off my 26" where only on the really steep short sections would I hit granny mode so keen to hear others opinions.

Cheers,
Steve

Win

Likes Dirt
If you get a 36 rear you shouldn't be too far off.
Still can't see the logic in loosing a tiny 22t and adding a 36t cog though
And a 32t middle ring is so useful

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Just shelled out for the 2x10 option on an XT groupset. The 3x10 has a granny ring of 24t while the 2x10 has the 26t. Putting that through a 36t rear should be damn close to what I`m running in the old 9 speed with a 11-34t rear on my 29er now. The amount of time spinning in the absolute granny is very minimal. I`m sure it will unnoticed after a few rides and I get used to it.
Cheers
MH

tumble_downs

Likes Dirt
I run a 36-24 combination up front, with 11-34 (9 speed) out the back. This gives me just about all the range I need for real trail riding, although a taller gear would be handy on fast dirt roads.

DaSchmooze

Likes Bikes
Been trying different things with this since I got my 29er:

3 x 10 - pointless as i rarely ever get to the big ring
2 x 10 - removed the big ring and just ran a 22 and 32 ... found myself spinning out in "big" ring so then went to
2 x 10 - 29/40. Not too bad but I'm finding the gearing a little too steep for my weekend warrior status so changed back to...
2 x 10 - Back to the 3 x 10 (with the large ring removed) and now running a 36/22 combination. 36 to prevent spinning out and 22 cos I'm a pussy! :)

Only just done that so we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

sossy

Saucier
Im using 2x10 26 - 39 matched to a 12 - 36 on both my 29ers and am yet to wish for more gears and I am no where near the strongest rider out there.

I say go for it!

Grant19

Squid
36 up front at that’s it

1x10. 36 up front 11-36 on the back. I do Sunday rides on fire roads in the hills and do over 3000m vert over 120km and no problems

And I’m only a light weight

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
1x10. 36 up front 11-36 on the back. I do Sunday rides on fire roads in the hills and do over 3000m vert over 120km and no problems

wot he said for me too, ride all the regular rides in Blue Mnts with no probs

26t pulling a 36t on a 29" wheel should be fine (i remember the days when you could only get 28t on the back....)

sly_artichoke

Likes Dirt
X9, 2x10, 39/26 with 12-36 on my Tallboy. It took a while to get used to the change from a standard 26" triple setup, but I now find myself in the 39 most of the time. Seldom run out of top end, but just let it roll if I do. The cadence change when shifting up front is more obvious (well, obviously), but the chainline gives you better use of the cassette, so I do far less front changes than on a triple. When changing up front, I'm often correcting by 2 at the back to keep cadence similar. Depends on terrain of course. On uphill grinds the 36 has been fine so far (may review this after Angry Doctor 2012!). See link for up and coming SRAM gear.

http://spokemagazine.com/2011/07/22/sram-release-new-two-ring-configurations-for-29ers/

fezi

Likes Dirt

Wow dude you must be pretty strong to ride just one ring up front! Especially on those big wheels. I run 42/32/22 and struggle up even the smallest hills in the 22/36 combo. The more gears the better I say.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Wow dude you must be pretty strong to ride just one ring up front! Especially on those big wheels. I run 42/32/22 and struggle up even the smallest hills in the 22/36 combo. The more gears the better I say.
You two guys crack me up ;)

Back on topic.. Just do it!

Nath8

Likes Dirt
but I now find myself in the 39 most of the time.
I was running 40/26 on the front with a 11-32 cass on my XTC 29er. I also found myself spending 90+% of the time on the 40t big ring. Very rarely was I looking for the 26t.
I think you adapt to what you've got very quickly.

Last edited:

steve-waters

Likes Dirt
Wow thanks for all the advice guys - funny being a newbie again been on the road and in the roadie forum for while now with MTB well my first build (current is CAAD Cannondale from 1999) so much to learn again.

I am going for 38/26T - I am no light weight but got a bit of juice in the legs so should be right going to go with a 36 out back just to be safe sounds huge though.

Many thanks again I am sure I will be back,
Steve

29er

Likes Bikes
I still run a triple crank setup on my bike because I can do all my off road riding in the 32 tooth ring. Running a 32 means I never have to change at the front offroad. I tried a 36 tooth for a while but hills got a bit hard for me pushing a 36 tooth. I dont use the 22 small ring as it feels inefficient. The 42 tooth big ring comes in handy on bitumen sections.

If I had spare coin id like to try 1X10 with a 32 front ring

ssjgogeta

Likes Dirt
This all really depends how strong you are. I don't know how you can ask this kind of question in an online forum, where you have no idea of the ability of the people replying to your question....

"Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator" is a good way to start comparing ratios. You should do some research to find what you think will work for you, then go from there.

steve-waters

Likes Dirt
That it is very true however I find it a good place to start - if it is working for no-one then it is unlikely to work for me.

The question often elicits other information about peoples set-ups and what works for them so I think asking the question on an on-line forum is a valid place and mode of getting information.

I have already calculated out the gears - hence I know not losing too much bottom end and triple has much cross over/redundant gears.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Riding a single speed is a good way to build strength in the legs to cope with taller gearing. But beware of the dark side of the force.