27.5 , 29 or just stick with 26

troublemaker

Likes Bikes
Hey all...
Doing my head in over these wheel sizes.... Almost convincing myself to buy a new rig..
1) for parts upgrade to ten speed (even though 11 is the now spec)
2) not that I've had the chance to ride but am told that either 27.5 or 29 will give me straight up bennifits of rolling faster & smoother (to say)
I'm keen on Hardtail ,, so either wheel more beneficial for this frame???
Fast XC ,,& little technical is my liking.
Downhill & jumping is my disliking.
Keen to use this at Convict.

Cheers if you ease my mind.
Neil.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
For a hardtail xc bike 29 all day. You want the big wheels smoothing out the ride as much as possible.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
your best bet is to demo bikes.

i had no desire to ride an 29er (nor was i even in the market to buy a new bike... but free demo's are free demos!), demo'd one at the spesh demo day as it was all they had available in my size at the time i arrived... low and behold i was ordering one the next week.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
For a hardtail xc bike 29 all day. You want the big wheels smoothing out the ride as much as possible.
But on the other side you want the agility that comes with smaller wheels. 29s go over stuff well, but suck at going around stuff. 26 is the other way (but I like my 26er's agility!) 27.5 is the middle ground that accommodates both to an adequate extent.

The other consideration which the mucketing boffins ignore, is your height. Big wheels need pretty severe compromises to fit in smaller frames (and little wheels just look plain silly in big frames), so if you're not a giant (no that's not a subliminal brand plug), smaller wheels may better suit you.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Nahhhhh. 29" wheels go around stuff just fine (in fact mid corner grip is fantastic) unless you believe the Giant 27.5 marketing material.
Always trade-offs but yea if the rider is appropriately sized (large enough) and the geometry well-sorted then really there's very little disadvantage to riding a 29er. People who say otherwise just haven't tried the right ones.

I can understand why you'd consider all the wheel sizes on, say, a dually with over 130mm and designed for more aggressive riding, but honestly for a hardtail xc application 29ers are perfect, IMO.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
I've got a 27.5" hardtail, i love it, but wanted a F/S bike, got a good deal on last years zesty with 29"s and it's a small frame, i do notice the big wheels roll over anything, or is it the more supple dual suspension helping out? dunno, but i do know i don't notice a difference in how they turn, i ride all sorts including tight technical single trails, though i admit, not very fast, but i don't see any disadvantage to the 29"s at all. And i've not had any issues with my feet fouling the wheel on tight turns so whoever designed my bikes frame got the geometry right to suit the wheel size they planned to use i guess.

There's plenty of hype (read, crap) about what size is best and why the other size is shit etc. but i reckon while they all have pro's and cons you can't really go wrong with any choice, it's all personal preference unless you're a world championship contender

troublemaker

Likes Bikes
I did have a brief ride on the 29 in a carpark... Turning was cumbersome I did notice & I do like the agility of the 26 for sure.... So apart from the only choice being 27.5 or 29....
I'm leaning to the 27.5.... Is the size difference noticeable in performance or just buy a decent 26 Hardtail frame & transfer my current parts to it

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To answer your question I feel it depends on the application and the sort of ride you want.
For more XC then 29" / 27.5" generally. For more trail then 26" / 27.5". Of course 26 works beautifully on XC and you have some superb 29" trail bikes.

The question I'd actually ask is about geo and purpose. Frankly all the wheel sizes work but trying XC on a distinctly trail and slack bike will make life more miserable than whether it's 29" or 27.5" or 26".

Ride everything and see what works best. Good luck.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I did have a brief ride on the 29 in a carpark... Turning was cumbersome I did notice & I do like the agility of the 26 for sure.... So apart from the only choice being 27.5 or 29....
I'm leaning to the 27.5.... Is the size difference noticeable in performance or just buy a decent 26 Hardtail frame & transfer my current parts to it

IMO, ignore the wheel size, and test the bike. Some 29ers are shit, some are great. The same goes for every wheels size. You will find agile bikes of all wheel sizes.

In reality, there are minor differences between the 3 sizes in how they perform if all other things are equal. One of the most noticeable differences between the two extremes (26 & 29) is the extra climbing grip of the 29er, and the slight resistance to turn-in on corners.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
In reality, there are minor differences between the 3 sizes in how they perform if all other things are equal. One of the most noticeable differences between the two extremes (26 & 29) is the extra climbing grip of the 29er, and the slight resistance to turn-in on corners.
I dunno about that.... I did a test on an Anthem 29er against my Anthem 26er on a loop of familiar trails, which included a fairly lengthy climb riddled with corners. The 26er blew the 29er into the weeds, especially on the climb because it was so much easier to flick through & accelerate out of corners.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I used to ride BMX, Then a 26" for years. Came time for a new bike and the shop dude talked me into a 29er hardtail because Im over 6 ft. Took it home and rode it around for a day and decided I absolutely hated it. Took it back and they changed it over for a 27.5 which I decided was just right. Sounds like a three bears story hey.

Anyway decide its time for a Dually and find myself demoing a 29er. Trek ex9 to be exact. Well I was blown away. So agile and flickable, and I didn't even know I was on a 29er. It was grin inducing. So I bought it.

So for me it was just what I was visually used to. Small wheels on a bike just looked right and big ones looked naff. I couldn't bring myself to give the 29ers a chance because I 'thought' they were too big and I listened to all the nay sayers.

So you finding it cumbersome in the car park might just have been you just not giving it a chance. Take it on the trail and give it some time. You too might find yourself drinking the Kool aid.

bh78

Likes Dirt
Replaced my 26 SC Blur XC with a RM Element 29 - both had basically the same components.

Element is way better in the switchbacks.

I also have a 27.5 Giant Reign.

It depends on the bike, setup, trails and rider IMO.

Z

Zaf

IMO, ignore the wheel size, and test the bike. Some 29ers are shit, some are great. The same goes for every wheels size. You will find agile bikes of all wheel sizes.
This!
Companies make good bikes and shit bikes all over the place, and by and large, the things that make a good bike "good", and a bad bike "bad" are rarely a result of the size of the wheels it rolls on.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dunno about that.... I did a test on an Anthem 29er against my Anthem 26er on a loop of familiar trails, which included a fairly lengthy climb riddled with corners. The 26er blew the 29er into the weeds, especially on the climb because it was so much easier to flick through & accelerate out of corners.
how come we don't see this small wheel size in xc racing anymore? hang on I can answer that, manufacturers are promoting their product so they put elite riders on 'slower' larger wheel bikes ......... ok.

next one, 29er no good for little people? in elite xc female they're on 29ers wtf?

the old flickabilty argument don't' cut it when you look at 29er superior roll over, bite on corners and fantastic bite on climbs.

when comparing 26 vs 29, it takes a bit of familiarity to trust the more aggressive riding you can get on a 29er so if you're a pansy on 26er same on 29er.

nothing wrong with 26 of course, but if you want to gain the most from your riding then the larger wheels are the bomb.

I've rode a 27.5 and have to say very impressed there.

If you really want a bike for super tight stuff ... go the bmx those little wheels rock the single track.

anyways to op, yes test ride, you'll need a few hours on your favorite trials to see what works for you. its all about fun. and any new bike will give you that. let us know.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I've ridden four different 29ers and my opinions of them range fron kinda OK to couldn't get off the bloody thing soon enough.

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
i think it will really come down thre frame and geo choice. if you want to do tight tecnical riding as well as xc id personally say stick with 27.5. if you want to just xc and climb alot and do some decent ks then find a good 29er setup.