$260 credit with merlin - need brakes

Ive got $260 credit with merlin cycles and i need front and rear brakes, my current Hayes Nines have retired.

If it helps i have two V8 rotors in pretty good condition and 8" IS Mounts

For AM, Freeride and occasional Downhill use...

Any insight on what i should go for ?

thanks

scblack

Leucocholic
Shimano XT should cover light DH and AM riding well and are not too expensive. You will have to pay more than $260 I would guess.

Or is your total budget $260?

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive got $260 credit with merlin cycles and i need front and rear brakes, my current Hayes Nines have retired.

If it helps i have two V8 rotors in pretty good condition and 8" IS Mounts

For AM, Freeride and occasional Downhill use...

Any insight on what i should go for ?

thanks
Pretty sure you are going to get a heap of Shimano answers... I'd suggest buying ice tech rotors too.

moorey

call me Mia
XT's are $110 ish an end on Merlin at the moment. Sometimes zee come on special for $270-300 a full set.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Just remember that Hayes rotors are thicker than avid or shimano ones so may not be compatible. I'd be factoring in new rotors as well (unless you go hayes again).

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I can stretch the budget.. was hoping not to have to buy new rotors but i guess merlin's Hayes selection do not seem to be that admirable ??

Will these http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-xt-m785-disc-brake-set-front-rear-black-55284.html (shimano XT) be ok with Ice-Tec 8" rotors ?

any one got the M785's and can vouch for them ?
Yes mate - as chopsticks says - even avid fanboys begrudgingly accept xt s are great brakes. Ice tecs especially will help for the occasional downhill run, for xc not so necessary

moorey

call me Mia
Love my ice tech, but zee are well priced on crc at the moment...and delivered free. Fine rotor and a lot cheaper.

ChopSticks

Banned
one thing to note if you're using this for just downhill...... overseas users have reportedly melted the Aluminium cores of the ice tech rotors on DH runs FYI

Love my ice tech, but zee are well priced on crc at the moment...and delivered free. Fine rotor and a lot cheaper.

Cheers unfortunately my credit at merlin will not be valid at CRC :) Merlin dont seem to have the Zee in stock. so guess its going to be the XT

one thing to note if you're using this for just downhill...... overseas users have reportedly melted the Aluminium cores of the ice tech rotors on DH runs FYI
wow, isnt the ice tech purpose built for downhill ?

Yeah dont think ill be hitting 70km+ speeds too often so dont think it will be a worry

moorey

call me Mia
Prices are virtually identical usually. Slx doesn't have the screw in pad pin (unless they have added that now too), aside from that, I think they are virtually identical now. Being the snob I am, I still go for xt for a bees dick more money though :behindsofa:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have a set of old hayes hfx 9s here that I guess I could trade for your Merlin voucher. That way you can keep using your sweet rotors and adapters. I guess I can find something useful on Merlin.