24" or 26" for aging BMXers

elicash

Squid
After hitting the big 4-0 a while back, it's really dawned on me that riding the 20" is no longer much of a proposition, and was hoping to get some advice from guys in a similar position in terms of going 24" or 26" from here on in.

I've ridden a bit of 26", but haven't really dug the geometry of the newer bikes I've owned or borrowed.

My question basically is, given I grew up on 80s BMX geometry, am I better off sticking to something like a retro issue 24" cruiser rather than anything new or 26"?

I do a little bit of street riding/the odd bit dirt jumping (with emphasis on the odd bit of).

Is anyone else in a similar boat?

cruisers are usually very high at the front, if you have back issues you may want to look into them. theyre not ideal for street as theyre a bit longer, theyre more for trails and cruiser class racing (hence the name) so theyre made to be stable.

try a 24" if your used to smaller wheels. maybe something like the sunday model c? bmx like geo just a bit bigger.

GravityJockey

Likes Bikes
24" v 26"

I race both BMX Cruiser 24" and 4X on a 26"... Like yourself I found that now I am a little older than your average teen. 20" wasn't a comfortable option.

I prefer the 26' for general riding and playing around, most come with disk brakes and single speed or multi speed options. meaning you can choose what you prefer...

I keep the 24" as a pure race bike.

If you can... try a few different bikes and see what feels right for you...

Hope this helps.

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Same boat with ya.

Having grow up in the late 80s and riding PK Rippers, the switch to 26 was quite smooth. After a whileit made me think how I managed to love trail riding on a BMX.

elicash

Squid
Thanks for the input here guys, been worthwhile to read if only to understand that it's probably a natural thing to be going through (older age!).

Might be a case of heading into a few bike shops and doing more test rides, and trying to let go of the idea that I'm dropping the ball by not riding 20" anymore, no matter how much nostalgia is tied up there.

Cheers again.

camzh

Likes Dirt
i'm not sure the wheel size is really that important...
I bought a 24" bmx a few years back, thinking that I was too old/big for a 20".
It was my 1st BMX since having a BMX in the 80's/90's as a kid, and i was after something i could ride in the same way, a bit of street a bit of dirt. (not racing)

Since then I've gotten a 26" jumper, and hard tail mtb and most recently a 20" BMX

From what I can tell there is a geo in all wheel sizes that feels comfortable, and ones that also doesnt...

best bet is to just get out there and try em, i'm still amazed how good the new 20" feels (Eastern, Reaper)

elicash

Squid
i'm not sure the wheel size is really that important...
I bought a 24" bmx a few years back, thinking that I was too old/big for a 20".
It was my 1st BMX since having a BMX in the 80's/90's as a kid, and i was after something i could ride in the same way, a bit of street a bit of dirt. (not racing)

Since then I've gotten a 26" jumper, and hard tail mtb and most recently a 20" BMX

From what I can tell there is a geo in all wheel sizes that feels comfortable, and ones that also doesnt...

best bet is to just get out there and try em, i'm still amazed how good the new 20" feels (Eastern, Reaper)

Mate that is great to hear, might just be a case of getting onto the right bike for my older body. Out to do some more research.

D

Deleted member FN2187

Don't give up on the 20's yet. A while ago I found that a few frame manufacturers that are making 21.5 top tubes, Macniel do a 22! I've set mine up with a top load stem and some 9.25 rise bars and its as comfortable geo wise as my hard tail. Alternatively the specialized P24 looks pretty sweet.

Earlysport

Likes Bikes
Are you figuring you're still growing at 40 and hence need a bigger bike/longer top tube than you did at 20? :)

Give the BMX some more time - I find as you get older it just takes longer to feel comfortable again. I just got back on my BMx after a year off ( I ride AM and DH ) and it felt alien at first, then it all comes back and I was manualling around and doing little street stuff no problem.

And no matter what anyone says, BMX will always be cooler than MTB unless you're on a big mountain! And I reckon even cooler is an old dude still ripping on a BMX! Go Dennis McCoy, Matt Hoffman, Jay Miron etc!

leadz

Likes Bikes
Are you figuring you're still growing at 40 and hence need a bigger bike/longer top tube than you did at 20? :)

Give the BMX some more time - I find as you get older it just takes longer to feel comfortable again. I just got back on my BMx after a year off ( I ride AM and DH ) and it felt alien at first, then it all comes back and I was manualling around and doing little street stuff no problem.

And no matter what anyone says, BMX will always be cooler than MTB unless you're on a big mountain! And I reckon even cooler is an old dude still ripping on a BMX! Go Dennis McCoy, Matt Hoffman, Jay Miron etc!
Here here stick with it!!!!