20mm -> 9mm Axle Adaptors

Disco

Likes Dirt
Gday, I recently got myself a wheelset of Rhynolites laced to a Deore rear and Formula 20mm front hub. So, having run 9mm QR Axles on the front and rear before, i needed to change my fork (Duke Race 03 => Psylo XC 01) but now my bike rides like a pig with the geometry and weight change, so i was looking at swapping back to my Dukes. The problem lies however in the front axle. Is there some form of machined adaptor that would slot in the hub so i could run a QR Skewer and axle (i.e. a sort of plug that sits in each end of the hub) or would i have to relace my front wheel with a QR Axle hub? Any help greatly appreciated.
Its no dramas to lace in a new hub, but its more convenient if there is a ready-made product out there, as i know some hubs (i.e. Aireal Industries) can be swapped from 9mm to 20mm. From my guestimate (only have wooden ruler, not verniers at home) the 20mm Formula hub width is approx 104mm wide and the 9mm Shimano hub on my old wheelset is approx 100mm so im not sure if there is even room to fit an adaptor.

Any help appreciated,

Michael

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
as far as i know you definetly can...im faced with the same issue soon too..but im not sure if it works for every 2omm hub...or just ones u buy with adaptors included...but im sure u can

vando

Likes Dirt
You definitely can buy adaptors, ask at your L.B.S. a mate of mine bought a new F.U.N.N. hub, and that came with an adaptor to run quick release. I am not sure of the prices though. An Axle slides through, and is held in place by two end caps which screw on. The quick release skewer then just slides through.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

DW-1

Dirt Works
vando said:
You definitely can buy adaptors, ask at your L.B.S. a mate of mine bought a new F.U.N.N. hub, and that came with an adaptor to run quick release. I am not sure of the prices though. An Axle slides through, and is held in place by two end caps which screw on. The quick release skewer then just slides through.

Hope this helps.
the issue here is that the Funn hub (and others like it) are designed for this use.

most 20mm hubs are too wide to work in a QR fork.

Funn and others get around this by making the hub narrow enough to fit in a QR fork to start with. When you convert it to 20mm, you slide a spacer onto either side and it now works with a 20mm fork.

You might be able to machine your current hub down so that the Funn axle converter will fit. You will need to get someone to check it over for you to see if this is possible.

Elvis.

Disco

Likes Dirt
It looks like this is gunna be a bit of a mission... maybe just bolting in a 9mm QR hub is the way to go. Has anyone actually converted a 20mm hub to 9mm QR?

Michael