2017 Giant Trance

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Just to add another consideration, I reckon the latest price-vs-spec levels in the Norco range are really giving Giant a run-for-their-money.....for value-for-money.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate. Just saw your other thread on the Norco Optic. At 130kg I don't think you can be overbiked!
The Optic is at the xc end of the "xc-trail-all mountain" spectrum. You're going to need a bike that can stand up to some abuse, given that no matter what, you're never likely to be a 65kg xc race whippet. If I was you, I'd be looking at something like the Trance, Norco Sight(new 29er looks brilliant), Trek Remedy or Fuel Ex or Spec Stumpy 29. Definitely preferable to have a bike that is overkill for where you're riding than the other way around.
I have ridden the Optic 27.5 and hated it. Geo was all wrong and it felt like a 26er on a 29er frame

Last edited:

BorisBC

Likes Bikes
I'll chuck my 2c in here. I'm a big fella like OP and just bought a Trance 2 after coming from a 2012 Anthem 29er. I'm certainly not a hard charger but after trying both the Trance and the Anthem, the Trance really felt a lot better geo wise for me.

No idea about Sydney trails, but on the Trance I'm tonnes faster at Stromlo than I was in the Anthem! And personally I feel like the Trance climbs better too.

Craigp.

Squid
Another one to consider is the Scott Spark!

Can get it in 27.5 or 29er, 120mm travel and the 2017 is fairly slack so would be a great do it all bike around Awaba, Glenrock etc.

Everything the guys above have mentioned is spot on! Try and line up some demos and see what feels comfortable. Hadleys have some demo trances, and I think breakaway cycles in Morrisset have a demo spark.

Cheers!

wavike

Likes Dirt
Another one to consider is the Scott Spark!

Can get it in 27.5 or 29er, 120mm travel and the 2017 is fairly slack so would be a great do it all bike around Awaba, Glenrock etc.

Everything the guys above have mentioned is spot on! Try and line up some demos and see what feels comfortable. Hadleys have some demo trances, and I think breakaway cycles in Morrisset have a demo spark.

Cheers!
Don't know about the newer Sparks, but the earlier one's were like the Anthem's - build light. they were a 'cracker' to ride

PedalPhil

Likes Bikes
I bought a 2017 Spark 930 after a 2 hour ride at a demo day in Kalamunda - mate has a 2014 920 so ridden them before. Owned Anthems/XTC/Epics/Superflys in the past.

Very capable climber and good descender (what there is in Perth) - definately XC that is Trail capable (and bloody quick).

andrew9

Likes Dirt
The new Focus vice is a strong competitor against the Scott Spark, also with 120mm travel and 67 H/A.
I prefer it's geometry, on paper, with a longer top-tube relative to seat-tube length and shorter chainstays.
Probably hard to go wrong with a Trance though

damo666

Likes Dirt
My son has a 2017 Trance 2 - great bike (especially for the price), feels very plush and just works pretty well at everything he's done on it, from XC to Downhill races.

But the one thing that confuses me is the weight. Its pretty much identical build to my 2016 Reign and comes in almost exactly 1kg heavier....
Surely the trunion mount design cant add that much?

Nauht

Cannon Fodder
My son has a 2017 Trance 2 - great bike (especially for the price), feels very plush and just works pretty well at everything he's done on it, from XC to Downhill races.

But the one thing that confuses me is the weight. Its pretty much identical build to my 2016 Reign and comes in almost exactly 1kg heavier....
Surely the trunion mount design cant add that much?
Exactly the same spec, as in forks, brakes, saddle, cockpit, drivetrain, wheels and tyres? Cos all those little things add up. 100g here, 200g there.. and in no time you got 1kg added.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trunion

Trunion mount should decrease weight
The trance Advance 1 is unbeatable weight wise. I don't know of any other bike is the $5k-$6k bracket that is 12kg and carbon frame and wheels PLUS XT AND top range forks and shock.

teK--

Eats Squid
Trunion mount should decrease weight
The trance Advance 1 is unbeatable weight wise. I don't know of any other bike is the $5k-$6k bracket that is 12kg and carbon frame and wheels PLUS XT AND top range forks and shock.
Weight aside the new rocker design should be much stiffer and reduce side loading on the shock. worthwhile tradeoff IMHO.