AM 2016 Specialized S-Works Enduro 650b

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Frame - 2016 Specialized S-Works Enduro 650b (Large)

Rear shock - Ohlins STX22

Front shock/fork - Rockshox Pike RCT3 Solo Air 160mm

Handlebars - Thomson Trail C

Stem - Thomson X4

Headset - FSA

Grips - ODI Rogue Lock-On

Saddle - Fabric Scoop Radius

Seatpost - Specialized Command Post 125mm

Seat Collar: Thomson

Front brake - Formula T1 203 mm rotor

Rear brake - Formula T1 180 mm rotor

Cranks - SRAM X01 BB30 175mm

Chainguide - OneUp Components Bash Guide

Chainring - Absolute Black SRAM Direct Mount 34t

Chain - KMC X11SL DLC Black

Pedals - Crankbrothers Mallet E

Rear derailleur - SRAM X01

Rear shifter - SRAM X1

Shift Cable - Transfil Black Snake

Cassette - Box Components .two 11-46

Front hub - Hope Pro 4 32h

Rear hub - Hope Pro 4 32h Steel Freehub

Front rim - Stans No Tubes Flow Mk3 650b 32h

Rear rim - Stans No Tubes Flow Mk3 650b 32h

Spokes - DT Swiss Competition

Nipples - DT Swiss Brass

Front Tyre - Schwalbe Magic Mary Supergravity Trailstar 27.5x2.35

Rear Tyre - Schwalbe Hans Dampf Supergravity Trailstar 27.5x2.35

Other - Frameskin wrap, Rockguardz carbon fibre downtube protector (plasti-dipped matte black) Wolf Tooth ReMote.

Total weight - 14.09 kg

Last edited:

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now with weight! 14.09 kg as recently weighed. Not sure really where I can shave any more grams off, but not a weight weenie anyway.

Have now had plenty of time on the bike and can’t say enough good things about it. Have smashed all my previous strava times up and downhill compared to me old 26in Enduro.

Does the job uphill although the front can wander a little when it gets really steep. However when things point downhill it really comes into its own. Feels like it tucks the back wheel underneath you and rockets you out of corners. Has a fun bit of pop which makes you want to launch off every little feature. Yet, still stable in the rough stuff.

In terms of any changes, I’m not a huge fan of he Specialized dropper - has a fair bit of play a notchy feel. Long term will likely look into a 150mm 9point8 dropper.

Have fallen out of love with the Formula brakes too due to a few reliability issues. Have always loved Hopes so will likely go to a set of E4s. Complete overkill, but sorely tempted to put a V4 on the front combined with an E4 on the rear.

Also going to try and ditch the backpack with a Topeak Ninja multitool and bottle cage, pump and a Backcountry Research Race Strap for a tube.

Lastly there’s slightly more stealth to come - stealth black Slik graphics Decals for the cranks and shock on order!

Bonis pic of pre-build below!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Now with weight! 14.09 kg as recently weighed. Not sure really where I can shave any more grams off, but not a weight weenie anyway.
I had a very similar bike and when I got it down to 12.5kg it wasn't as good at descending. It felt more like a trail bike and less like the Enduro bike it *should* be. Climbing, surprisingly, wasn't much better at that weight. I'd say stay between 14 - 14.5kg and you've got yourself an absolute weapon of a bike. Only way to shave off significant weight (if you wanted to go that way) is carbon wheels with light hubs.

Don't make the same mistake I did and get sucked into 170mm forks! BB becomes too high and the geo just feels all wrong. For 2017 they changed it to fit a 170 fork, but the 2015/16 frame just doesn't like it - even with offset bushings.

I've got a 2013/14 model and it would be around the same weight I'd say.
The wandering front end on climbs is a thing, but like you say, the descent more than compensates.
Am a big fan of them, so much more bike than I need for around here but it's a beast.
I got rid of the Formula brakes quick smart, the OEM ones were crap. For such a badass bike the brakes were well below par.
I've had a Command Post since getting the bike and haven't had any issues as such. It did break after about 3yrs but I got it all fixed and it's working fine again.
I carry a Motherstrap with tube, canisters and tyre levers which means I can ride without a pack for up to about 30km depending on temperature. I can squeeze a multitool in there too if need be. They're really good. Swap between bikes and I'm away. Highly recommended.
I like the stealth look you got going on. Am going to get mine powdercoated and re-do the decals. Keep it low key.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Only way to shave off significant weight (if you wanted to go that way) is carbon wheels with light hubs.
Did consider this when building it, but realistically Light Bicycle were the only option within my budget, and the weight difference between them and the Flow MK3 is negligible. Was more interested in the hubs being orange than their weight. Steel rather than allow freehub certainly isn’t light either, but would much rather have the durability.

I got rid of the Formula brakes quick smart, the OEM ones were crap. For such a badass bike the brakes were well below par.
Don’t get me wrong I love the feel of them. Plenty of power and good modulation, but they’re horrifically noisy if it’s even slightly damp, a nightmare to bleed. I thought I’d dodged their reliability issues until recently when a few things have cropped up.

I've had a Command Post since getting the bike and haven't had any issues as such. It did break after about 3yrs but I got it all fixed and it's working fine again.
They’re not the worst post, but can be a bit fiddle with air pressure to find the balance between a surprise sterilisation procedure and a pretty lethargic return speed. Mostly, since it’s a custom build, I don’t like the idea of having spec brand bits on it, and like the idea of buying from smaller independent manufacturers which has been a bit of a theme on the bike (Thomson, AbsoluteBlack, OneUp, Box Components, Wolf Tooth, Fabric)

They’re not the worst post, but can be a bit fiddle with air pressure to find the balance between a surprise sterilisation procedure and a pretty lethargic return speed. Mostly, since it’s a custom build, I don’t like the idea of having spec brand bits on it, and like the idea of buying from smaller independent manufacturers which has been a bit of a theme on the bike (Thomson, AbsoluteBlack, OneUp, Box Components, Wolf Tooth, Fabric)

Can be a quick return that's for sure, I've got my technique sorted though. Kind of catch it with my hamstring/thigh rather than get the boys in the way.
Air pressure is crucial. And it's not a lot of pressure in there.
Have got a KS on the other bike and it's very nice to use and infinite adjust. Also have tried an X-Fusion HiLo Strate as well and it's pretty good too.
But sparing little expense like you are is a nice way to go and great if it's in the budget. Got nice bits and pieces on it, no question.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now with extra coil!

Fox DHX2 200x57 with 2-position lever and Bike Yoke adaptor. Went with a 500lb steel spring for the time being. Will ultimately go to an Orange Fox SLS (to match the hubs) or Ti spring once I have settled on a spring rate.

Stealth black Slik Graphics decals already on order for more stealth, and to cure my OCD about the upside down logo.